Author Topic: Personal Weather Tablet - An Android tablet app to show your GW1000 data  (Read 25135 times)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Re: Personal Weather Tablet - An Android tablet app to show your GW1000 data
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2021, 06:04:13 AM »
Version 1.4.1 was released a week or so ago and is available on Google Play.

Sorry that I haven't updated this post sooner! I forgot about it and was away for some days! Anyway I see that Oliver, has already updated you on probably the most exciting feature of the new PWT version. With the assistance, once again, from Oliver a new connection method is now provided.

• New API type: UDP broadcast listener. Can be used with FOSHKplugin. Take a look at Olivers in depth description in the post above
  • Fixed an issue with automatic webtab cycling, which could cause the app to crash if it had been enabled and another content type was selected later
  • Added sensor naming to the "Main" sensors. This means that if you have a GW1000 as an example, you will now be able to rename its build-in sensor along with the tri-armed rooftop array
  • Added a feature to hide webtabs if webtabs cycling is enabled
  • Graphs on the dashboard are now loaded in the background, making the app start faster
  • Dashboard sensor updates are handled in the background
  • Translation updates

Thats it for now!  :-)

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #276 on: October 05, 2021, 11:53:52 AM »
Working perfectly. Thank you!

Hi!

If you want to supply several devices with Personal Weather Tablet (PWT) from one station, you basically have the problem that there is only ONE destination for the custom server in the weather station - you can only configure one PWT instance as a destination.
One way out is the use of FOSHKplugin, with which many additional targets can be generated.

Previously, you had to generate a separate forward for each device on which PWT was to receive the data. I had described this in the recipe "Installation of FOSHKplugin generic version for several PWT instances" here.
However, this is quite time-consuming, especially with changing IP addresses (DHCP). And it generates useless traffic even if the corresponding target device is not switched on at all.

Therefore the new/current version v1.4.1 of PWT now offers a new connection type: the "UDP broadcast listener".
If PWT is operated in UDP broadcast listener mode, it listens to incoming data on a configurable UDP port.

FOSHKplugin can already forward incoming Ecowitt data via UDP. A forward like this is required for this:
Code: [Select]
[Forward-46]
FWD_TYPE = RAWUDP
FWD_URL = 192.168.15.255:12350      # use broadcast address:port and configure PWT to the same UDP port
FWD_CMT = send the Ecowitt stream via UDP broadcast to multiple PWT instances to broadcastaddress:port

This sends the data in Ecowitt format coming from the weather station via UDP to a broadcast address at which any number of clients can listen (not only PWT!) and process the incoming data.
I use it here to operate 7 or 8 devices in parallel and thus reduce the data transfer considerably.

With the next version v0.09 of FOSHKplugin there will be another forward type EWUDP, which receives incoming data in Ambient Weather, WU and Ecowitt format, if necessary, converts it to Ecowitt format and then sends this data via UDP.
PWT picks up the data and displays them accordingly - at the same time, on all devices listening on this port.
This means that Ambient Weather devices which transmits in AW format and stations that only can transmit data in WU format (e.g. WH600x) can then feed Personal Weather Tablet with data in this way.

I think this new feature of PWT can be very useful for some.
But of course the "old" way via dedicated forwards in FOSHKplugin and connection type "Custom Server" on PWT is still available.

Regards, Oliver
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2021, 12:09:33 PM »
I have an Levono Tablet running PWT and  after 8 -10 hours it stops updating . Then to get it working again I have to reboot it. Any ideas why this is happening. 
Plastic Guy

Offline ramblinche81

« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2021, 02:11:18 PM »
I have an Levono Tablet running PWT and  after 8 -10 hours it stops updating . Then to get it working again I have to reboot it. Any ideas why this is happening.

The gateway device sends data to tablet based on tablet lan address.

If tablet goes to sleep, then wakes up, does it have new or old lan address ?  Router device log will give you some info on the before and after.

If tablet never sleeps (screen always on) Some routers have a default life for a connection. Router wants to see a signal originate from tablet or it thinks tablet is off/offline and no longer needs a connection. Router might drop tablet from lan even though data packets are sent.

Your tablet might have a wifi connection life cycle as well. It puts itself to sleep after zero SCREEN touch activity.

If reboot resets, and you have tablet with static IP, my guess is tablet sleep cycle.  If you have to reset gateway send IP manually, my guess is router is dropping tablet from lan (ip address is lost)
July 2020
Ecowitt GW1000B gateway @ ecowitt.net
Ecowitt WN51 soil moisture x8 (potted plants and landscape beds)
Ecowitt WH57 lightning
Ecowitt WH31 temp x2
Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge
Ecowitt WS68 wind sun sensor
Dragon Touch tablet display with PWT app

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »
Thanks for info I will take a look at my tablet, router  settings when I get home from work. Its the tablet that I have to reboot.  Also the tablet is on all the time. I never have to reboot the  GW1000.
Plastic Guy

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2021, 07:45:49 PM »
Anybody have an idea why sunrise/sunset is not working. App has permission for location.
Thx
Plastic Guy

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2021, 09:41:24 PM »
Using a Lenovo tablet and I never have had sun/moon on Ecowitt dashboard or the app. It is however on Ambient.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:43:33 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2021, 09:54:09 PM »
It was working on my Lenovo tablet then it stopped. Also not working on a Onn tablet. I've reinstall the app and
still isn't working.
Plastic Guy

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2021, 07:06:42 AM »
I have this on an old Android tablet and the sunrise/set times show just fine under the wind dial. PWT is V1.4.1

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2021, 07:40:55 AM »
I see where supposed to be. There's no time by the icon. I wonder if it's a router issue?.
Plastic Guy

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2021, 07:54:04 AM »
Sunrise and Sunset are normally calculated from your lat/long co-ordinates by software. I also use Weather Display which does this but the sunrise time is out by 2 minutes in PWT, sunset is OK. Not really a problem for me. Since the GW1100/GW1000 does not calculate this I wonder how PWT does it and if there is something it needs to be able to display it.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2021, 07:55:24 AM »
Hi!

Probably you just have to enable the localisation setting in the settings of your tablet

Settings/Location: on

Oliver

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
Yes that's been done.
Plastic Guy

Offline _John C

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2021, 03:50:07 PM »
Open the Google maps app on the tablet , press the crosshair button on the lower right of the screen. The map should find and center to your location.  That always works for me if the sun rise/set info isn't displayed.  Works on my Samsung and Lenovo tablets.

Try it
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline Plastic man

« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2021, 04:12:22 PM »
Yes It worked. Thank you!  [tup]
Plastic Guy

Offline ebrewer

« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2022, 11:21:25 AM »
Has anyone tried running PWT on iOS using an android emulator?  I've never used an emulator before...
Thanks, Eric

Offline BadWolf72

« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2022, 05:34:51 PM »
Thank you for a wonderful app i have been looking for one for a while and just saw this amazing works well on my fire tablet  [tup]

I am not sure if anyone has asked this before any chance of a "off and on" timer so it will shut the display off say before go to bed then turns it on again in the morning? not sure if this can be done just asking....

Thank you

Martin
My Weather Station Information All 868Mhz

Ecowitt wittboy                             WS90
Ecowitt weather station                 HP2551
Ecowitt Gateway                           GW1100
Ecowitt Soil Temperature               WN34S
Ecowitt Air Quality Sensor (PM2.5) WH41     
Ecowitt Soil Moisture Sensor          WH51
Ecowitt Lightening Sensor              WH57

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #292 on: February 21, 2022, 06:28:07 PM »
Thank you for a wonderful app i have been looking for one for a while and just saw this amazing works well on my fire tablet  [tup]

I am not sure if anyone has asked this before any chance of a "off and on" timer so it will shut the display off say before go to bed then turns it on again in the morning? not sure if this can be done just asking....

Thank you

Martin
From what I have observed:
when the display is turned off or you switch to another app, PWT stops recording ...
looks like PWT needs to run in the foreground with the display on in order work properly - or anyone has some more information here ... ?
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline brushwood69

« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »
Hi, Great app been using for 6months or so but is there anyway to increase the font size of the outdoor sensor temperature? I cycle to work and waking up bleary eyed I look for wind speed, direction and temp to decide to cycle or not so having the temp a bit bigger would be great help.

Thanks

Offline horseflesh

My PWT tablet often shows the warning icon which leads to this message:

No update has been received from your weather station for 120 seconds. Alert was created at <date>

Is that error message always the latest such error, or does it hold on to an older error until you dismiss it?

Sometimes my PWT temperature chart has flat spots in it which look like a more persistent connection problem, so I am trying to figure out what PWT sees.

FWIW, my Ecowitt.net connection seems fine (no flat spots on the temp charts) and as far as I know my 2.4 GHz wifi setup is healthy. I have a very picky 2.4 GHz gadget which has been working fine.

I am using the default PWT settings, with a 16 second update interval.

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
that occurs when your console stops sending data for longer than 60 seconds or so.
Or, let's say it the way around, when PWT doesn't receive a post from your console with a certain time frame defined in the PWT settings.
(might be a LAN issue, sometimes a restart of the tablet helps, sometimes a restart of the console, sometimes it sorts out by itself, if the latter, you only have to tap on the red icon and then tap on "close" for the red icon to disappear again). The icon will come back until it receives data again or you restart PWT.
The horizontal line is a period where no data was received.
PWT reads the http post from your console using the custom server functionality.
What's your console ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:48:12 PM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline horseflesh

I have the GW1100 console. What is confusing is that anything else I do with the console, like logging in to check settings or live data, or just monitoring the data at Ecowitt.net, does not show signs of the console being inaccessible for minutes at a time. It seems like it is just PWT updates that fail.

It is running on a Fire tablet, and the thing gets updates often enough that it restarts itself every couple of days, so it isn't like the tablet has been running for weeks without a reboot.

So I just dismissed the error and it came back a couple minutes later. So right now, PWT is receiving data only every few minutes. Let's reboot the tablet and restart PWT... OK, it has been updating every ~16 seconds for 10 minutes or so.

So, it was the tablet after all.

Here is why I did not immediately suspect that. I had one day that had very poor connectivity... the outdoor temperature graph was very blocky. I didn't touch anything, and the next day, the temperature graph became nice and smooth again. If the tablet was choking I would not have expected it to clear up without intervention.

But, rebooting now did the trick so ... it is what it is.

Offline SCDH_Man

« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2022, 02:47:52 PM »
Hi,

I have a Nexus 7 (2013 - Android 6) tablet, and PWT works great, but for some reason never shows rain data. All the other data, including a ground humidity sensor, I receive all the data.

My station is an Ecowitt Wittboy Weather Station (Wittboy GW2000)

I have checked all the settings I can think of, but no dice. The rain information shows up fine on Wunderground and Ecowitt App/Website.

Any input is appreciated.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2022, 02:56:11 PM »
Hi!

Unfortunately, the current version of PWT does not yet support the new keys for rain from WS90 (piezo).
So if you supply PWT with data directly via the custom server, no rain data can currently be displayed. Unless you also had a WH40 in the system - then its data would be taken over.
However, if you feed PWT via FOSHKplugin, there should already be possibilities (remap).

A change to PWT is easily possible. Daniel just has to get to work on it.
Unfortunately, despite several attempts, I haven't heard from him in a while.

Oliver

Offline SCDH_Man

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »
Got it.  Thank you for the quick reply.

Hi!

Unfortunately, the current version of PWT does not yet support the new keys for rain from WS90 (piezo).
So if you supply PWT with data directly via the custom server, no rain data can currently be displayed. Unless you also had a WH40 in the system - then its data would be taken over.
However, if you feed PWT via FOSHKplugin, there should already be possibilities (remap).

A change to PWT is easily possible. Daniel just has to get to work on it.
Unfortunately, despite several attempts, I haven't heard from him in a while.

Oliver