Author Topic: Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:37:03 AM »
Has anybody else noticed if their WLIP downloads have been failing since just after midnight (New Years Eve), I had 1 drop exactly at midnight, another 50 minutes after midnight, 1 just before midday, another just after midday.

This sounds like a Davis server issue or have Davis been messing with things again? Rather strange all this started occurring on or just after midnight 1/1/2020?   

Offline Liamdog4

Re: Davis Upload/Download issues 1/1/2020
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Hi, my weatherlink data stopped updating at 00:25 last night. Bulletin seems to be working and updating and WU is updating. Must be a Davis server issue.
Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, 24 hr Aspirated, Soil Moisture Station, Leaf Moisture, 2 Extra Temperature Stations

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »
Yes same here.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 03:43:35 PM »
Yes Non Davis uploads to other sites all appear ok, WeatherLink.com bulletin is missing Barometer data for all sites and it would appear wind data is locked up on all sites. Embedded links appear ok?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 05:41:25 PM »
It is the Y2.02K problem!   :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxmanmhd

• FM Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »
I made it till 12:10 am then stopped. 

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 04:55:58 AM »
hey guys mine stopped at 12:20 as well!

Offline sward6368

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 08:46:28 AM »
Same here, no data in charts on weatherlink.com page post 12:50am CST.  Bulletin appears to show current temperatures but many sections of app are blank / missing. 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
There's a post from Davis on this issue for dealers, which it's perhaps worth copying here:

We are currently experiencing issues with our data ingestion servers for WeatherLinkIP. This problem affects WeatherLinkIP systems only.   Connect, EM, USB/serial and WeatherLink Live systems are not impacted. Customers may notice that both current conditions and archive records are not updating on WeatherLink.com. We are urgently working to resolve this issue.  At this time no solution is imminent.  I will provide an update later today.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:30:20 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 07:46:57 PM »
John,

It is very very strange that ONLY WLIP loggers are affected? The only loggers still not requiring any subscription and all failing on Jan 1

Offline Liamdog4

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 07:57:06 PM »
I have a subscription and having problems. Might be their way to make us update to WLL??? I just wonder about losing data....
Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, 24 hr Aspirated, Soil Moisture Station, Leaf Moisture, 2 Extra Temperature Stations

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 04:07:50 AM »
I understand that an initial fix is in place now but subject to continuing monitoring and user feedback.

And for the conspiracy theorists out there, I really doubt that WLIP has been picked on. The problem is more that weatherlink.com has to handle data from a variety of upload devices - the resulting code base must be fairly complex with - I'm guessing - major modules for each different device. When bugs do crop up, it's not at all uncommon for them to affect data from just one type of device, which on this occasion happens to be WLIP.

FWIW my opinion - and it is totally a personal opinion - is that the premium paid to buy WLIP rather than eg a USB logger effectively paid for a few years' subscription. So the WLIP model included an element of payment upfront for use of the weatherlink.com platform and it's not as if Davis received no extra money for a WLIP logger purchase. Whether Davis see it that way is another matter of course!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
I understand that an initial fix is in place now but subject to continuing monitoring and user feedback.

And for the conspiracy theorists out there, I really doubt that WLIP has been picked on. . .

A handy quote: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline sward6368

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »
Had worked again for a while yesterday evening into this morning, as of ~6:30am CST data is not populating graphs again.
I submitted issue to Davis support email address yesterday - no reply as of yet.  But sounds like they had notified dealers of known issue.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 12:47:55 AM »
The purchase cost of the WLIP was as set by Davis and there was no set expiry time and the device was locked by Davis to their own servers. Davis can not turn around now and say this is a subscription device or it's no longer supported because it's too hard to fix, don't work with this, don't work with that, Davis created this, users purchased this as per the Davis terms & conditions at the time and Davis will dam well support it and some users won't be letting Davis forget this.

As for current status, intermittent downloads on some at times but long time between downloads and way not up to date, still totally dead on others so very inconsistent.   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 03:55:54 AM »
The purchase cost of the WLIP was as set by Davis and there was no set expiry time and the device was locked by Davis to their own servers. Davis can not turn around now and say this is a subscription device or it's no longer supported because it's too hard to fix, don't work with this, don't work with that, Davis created this, users purchased this as per the Davis terms & conditions at the time and Davis will dam well support it and some users won't be letting Davis forget this.

So you agree with me?  ;)

An update from Davis is suggesting that the issue  is somehow associated with the WLIP firmware and that updated firmware will be available for download early next week. (NB I don't have any further details - just passing on the gist of an update message from Davis to dealers.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 04:38:45 AM »
No attempt to inform customers about what's going on...only to dealers? All it takes is a note on their website explaining the problems. Unless someone reads this forum, they have no idea....shades of wunderground.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 07:28:30 AM »
It's fairly obvious that Davis has done something to WeatherLink.com which reacted with WLIP on 1/1/2020 as prior to 1/1/2020 there has been no change to the logger and there hasn't been an issue since the pre-release bugs were ironed out in late 2018.

So if it wasn't broke last week, what broke it this week? AND Why? 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »
Ok lets get a little cynical with this :) Question?

How would one ensure every WLIP somehow has "new firmware" installed?

Considering there was nothing actually wrong with the old firmware until the 1/1/2020 then what else is in this "new firmware"  :roll:

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 08:01:02 AM »
WL.com isn't the only thing bit by a 2020 bug though, scroll down to 2020...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_formatting_and_storage_bugs
Mark

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »
So if it wasn't broke last week, what broke it this week? AND Why?

New York City's electronic parking meters all stopped processing credit/debit/plan payments on 1/1/2020, allegedly due to a certificate expiring in each device.  They will only accept cash until a manual firmware update is applied.  Davis isn't the only company dealing with Y2020 firmware problems this week.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
Same thing happened with my mortgage payment. I went to hit the submit button and I couldn't do it. I did it fine last month. Not sure what's going on. :-P
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
From a security viewpoint, the Y2020 thing could bite you if you do not insist on 4 digit year on financial documents.  Too easy  change /20 (meaning 2020) to /2019 - instant non-stale dated cheque.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »
From a security viewpoint, the Y2020 thing could bite you if you do not insist on 4 digit year on financial documents.  Too easy  change /20 (meaning 2020) to /2019 - instant non-stale dated cheque.

When I'm elected Supreme Allied Commander of the Universe, my third action will be to make writing the date without all digits in the year eligible for capital punishment.....  :twisted:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 01:48:12 PM »

When I'm elected Supreme Allied Commander of the Universe, my third action will be to make writing the date without all digits in the year eligible for capital punishment.....  :twisted:
Ha Ha! It reminds me of the Y2K mess in the late 90's where we were hiring every programmer who still had a warm body to fix those billions of lines of COBOL code.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223