Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39715 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #400 on: May 19, 2020, 12:22:12 PM »
I guess this will be the final report on the pro shield. I just removed my fars and replaced it with the pro because of the great low wind performance of the shield and it matches the fars real well and has some advantages over the fars that i like. One problem with the fars is the stock fan is too weak and gets over powered when the wind gets above 15 to 20 mph, it does not exhaust right and the air intake gets messed up causing high temp readings. I fixed that problem by going to a 12 volt high powered fan which is a must in windy areas. The other problem with the fars is the filter which is too big and messes up the pro air circulation when put in the pro. On average with no wind and full sun the pro averaged .5 degrees warmer but with just a 1 to 2 mph wind it came back down. I had a period of about 3 hours of calm wind and full sun in the morning which is a hard time for shields having the side of the shield to the sun and it only got to .7 higher. Now as the sun got higher and less of the shield was exposed to the sun the temp got even with the fars and at times a few tenths of a degree cooler. The new pro is a real winner but there is one thing i did test and it was a loser. I make most of my own sensors that are very small and do not block the airflow inside the pro. I modify the 31 to get it down to a size of about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide plus i replace the filter with one i make from double sided tape with the center cut out to expose the actual sensor and press a small piece of filter over the hole and then stick in down on the board. Now i did try the factory stock 31 and it is hard to stuff inside the pro, the strain relief has to be bent real hard and it would be better to just cut off the material and then the cable would bend easier. But this would void warranty and i would replace the filter like i dig, it is just to big and blocks air flow. I was totally displeased with the performance of the stock Davis sensor, creates a very long lag time at low wind but as the wind picks up it performs pretty well. With a little work the pro is the best choice for me, no batteries and fans to worry about makes it nice.I like everything about the pro.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #401 on: May 19, 2020, 05:06:31 PM »
I guess this will be the final report on the pro shield. I just removed my fars and replaced it with the pro because of the great low wind performance of the shield and it matches the fars real well and has some advantages over the fars that i like. One problem with the fars is the stock fan is too weak and gets over powered when the wind gets above 15 to 20 mph, it does not exhaust right and the air intake gets messed up causing high temp readings. I fixed that problem by going to a 12 volt high powered fan which is a must in windy areas. The other problem with the fars is the filter which is too big and messes up the pro air circulation when put in the pro. On average with no wind and full sun the pro averaged .5 degrees warmer but with just a 1 to 2 mph wind it came back down. I had a period of about 3 hours of calm wind and full sun in the morning which is a hard time for shields having the side of the shield to the sun and it only got to .7 higher. Now as the sun got higher and less of the shield was exposed to the sun the temp got even with the fars and at times a few tenths of a degree cooler. The new pro is a real winner but there is one thing i did test and it was a loser. I make most of my own sensors that are very small and do not block the airflow inside the pro. I modify the 31 to get it down to a size of about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide plus i replace the filter with one i make from double sided tape with the center cut out to expose the actual sensor and press a small piece of filter over the hole and then stick in down on the board. Now i did try the factory stock 31 and it is hard to stuff inside the pro, the strain relief has to be bent real hard and it would be better to just cut off the material and then the cable would bend easier. But this would void warranty and i would replace the filter like i dig, it is just to big and blocks air flow. I was totally displeased with the performance of the stock Davis sensor, creates a very long lag time at low wind but as the wind picks up it performs pretty well. With a little work the pro is the best choice for me, no batteries and fans to worry about makes it nice.I like everything about the pro.

I absolutely agree,
I've tested a lot of solar radiations shields, even professional and more expensive, but not found  better value for money than Barani Meteoshield Pro

Mauro

Offline tve

« Reply #402 on: May 19, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »
@jerryg, would you mind posting a pic of your sensor the way you deploy it? I'm confused about the with or without filter...

I have a standard Barani shield coming (the pro is too rich for me) and I deploy my own sensors. Right now I have a 10mm x 10mm PCB with a SHT31 and a 10mm x 14mm PCB with a BME680, both PCBs are stuck together next to each other and there shouldn't be any issue WRT size in the std shield. The SHT31 is without integrated filter and I was planning to start out with putting this stuff naked into the shield with just a bit of conformal coating and see how it goes.

What I'm planing to do is to put a SHT35 and perhaps a BME280 onto a thinner more elongated PCB, but I'm wondering whether it's worth making it fit into one of those $10 "sensor filter caps". The SHT35 can be had with integrated filter right on the chip, which doesn't affect the response time according to Sensirion. I wonder whether that's not the best way to go, the chips are less than $15, so not expensive to swap out if one has the soldering equipment. (I also saw that the SHT75, which people seem to like is replaced by the SHT85 which looks like an SHT35 on a long skinny PCB, that's what I would get if I didn't like to make my own PCBs...)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re:standard Barani shield pro passive shield
« Reply #403 on: May 19, 2020, 06:08:17 PM »
The Barani Standard is much more spacious inside vs the PRO.  The standard is a good shield if you paint interior flat black preferably with low VOC paint.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #404 on: May 19, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #405 on: May 21, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »
I've had the Pro setup with the factory SHT 31 sensor and I've been pleased with its performance. I cut away the rubber so the cable could be bent and I did remove the big white filter and just put some of the filter paper onto the sensor and secured it with some tape, I think that speeds up the response time. I did not reduce the size of the sensor though, are you saying it would be even better if I reduced the sensor size @jerryg? I'm not too sure it would have a great effect since I've had similar response times to very small sensors in small shields and even bare sensors.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:41:19 PM by Jasper3012 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
You can easily trim the sensor down with wire side cutters (dikes)  and not cut into the circuit, Jerry really trims them down he may even solder the connections again.
I've been making my own filters with 100 thread silk cloth, just wrap the whole sensor and so far had no issues.
Randy

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #407 on: May 21, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »
I'm pretty reluctant to do that really, I don't think it will matter a great deal either if I just remove small parts of the green material

Offline tve

Re:standard Barani shield pro passive shield
« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2020, 08:22:55 PM »
The Barani Standard is much more spacious inside vs the PRO.  The standard is a good shield if you paint interior flat black preferably with low VOC paint.
I just got the Standard shield. It's black on the inside (looking into the shield from below):
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #409 on: May 29, 2020, 09:55:51 AM »
Hi is their other places which I could buy the MeteoHelix® IoT Pro - Sigfox Micro-Weather Station because on the Barani site the delivery fees are ridiculous to the UK.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #410 on: June 01, 2020, 05:50:27 AM »
Hi is their other places which I could buy the MeteoHelix® IoT Pro - Sigfox Micro-Weather Station because on the Barani site the delivery fees are ridiculous to the UK.

Hi Daniel,
there's a problem on Barani's site about shipment costs to UK, due to Brexit, they are working to fix it
if you email to them you will receive the correct shipment price, my advice is to write directly to
sales@baranidesign.com

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #411 on: June 17, 2020, 04:58:09 AM »
very difficult day yesterday for my Davis, this station suffers a lot in the hot summer afternoons, the shading of the ISS is missing and if, like yesterday, there is an appreciable drop in the wind, the situation becomes more complicated, a really bad performance
well the sht30 in the Meteoshield pro, even better the sht35 with only probe in the other Meteoshield pro

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #412 on: June 27, 2020, 06:30:53 AM »
What's the delivery time usually on the MeteoHelix?

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
What's the delivery time usually on the MeteoHelix?

I cannot see where are you from, but usually, the Meteohelix Pro is on stock, so you need to wait only the necessary time for shipment

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #414 on: June 27, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
I'm from the UK

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #415 on: June 27, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
I'm from the UK

well Daniel, my fault ;(
send an email to sales(at)baranidesign.com

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2020, 04:31:32 AM »
What would you guys recommend. Getting the MeteoHelix or get the MeteoShield Pro and put the
WH-32 EP in it?

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2020, 05:07:59 AM »
What would you guys recommend. Getting the MeteoHelix or get the MeteoShield Pro and put the
WH-32 EP in it?

Hi Daniel, my personal opinion?
you can start with Meteoshield Pro+wh32-EP
you will have very accurate temperature and humidity performances, better than a lot of "professional" systems

Meteohelix has the same performances, the sensor inside the Meteohelix Pro new versions is the same, Sensirion sht35, but much more expensive for to have solar radiation and atmospheric pressure

Obviously I consider Meteohelix Pro a wonderful product, I'm happy with this, and this is the second for me, the older version was the first prototype

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #418 on: June 28, 2020, 05:40:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Have you got any comparisons of both the MeteoHelix and WH-32 EP?

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #419 on: June 28, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »
also how good is the battery life on the WH-32 EP?

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #420 on: June 28, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
also how good is the battery life on the WH-32 EP?

I will try to reply to all your questions

I do not have experience with battery life, I have two wh32-ep versions, but only from few months and wsview battery indicator is at 100%
I presume the same of the standard wh-32

about comparison, you can take a look to these links

https://www.kwos.org/marinadimontemarciano/indexDesktop.php
https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=14231
https://www.kwos.org/comparison/

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #421 on: June 30, 2020, 04:11:32 PM »
Thanks to those who have helped me decide I think I will be ordering the MeteoHelix tomorrow.

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #422 on: July 01, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
I've just ordered the MeteoHelix 😁😁 I'll let you guys know how I find it.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #423 on: July 01, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
I've just ordered the MeteoHelix 😁😁 I'll let you guys know how I find it.

Good choice Daniel  ;)
I'm sure you will happy, and I'm at your disposal for any question
let us know the link to your Allmeteo portal when will be ready

Mauro

Offline raffaello.dimartino

• Raffaello - IZ0QWM
    • a Kind of Weather Observing Station
« Reply #424 on: July 26, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
Barani MeteoShield Pro Review.

Automatic translate by Google.

http://www.kwos.it/joomla/en/articoli/144-meteoshield-professional-new