Author Topic: Talking about HeathKit  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Talking about HeathKit
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:27:57 AM »
Decided to keep from veering another thread too far off course I would instead start a new one on the subject for a change.   ;)

I mentioned as several others about having an early model HeathKit weather station (ID-1290) and posted a link to a picture of it.  After some more investigation I found that same website I linked to for the picture has a bunch of information posted on the different things the company had to offer. Also you can download some of the old catalogs, manuals, etc. 

Take a look at the home page toward the bottom in the HeathKit section:

http://www.tech-systems-labs.com/

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Talking about HeathKit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
I love the smell of burning rosin in the morning, it smells like... Heathkit!

Those photos bring back memories... I built a shortwave radio, radio control set, multiple integrated amps, and possibly a few more. Also built a couple of Dynaco products--although I think those came with completed circuit boards...

If I tried really hard, I bet I could find the original construction manual for the tube amps my dad built...

Probably if you remember Heathkits, then you will remember going to the drugstore to test vacuum tubes...  :roll:
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »
I have built several kits, stereo equipment, a 27 in colour TV.  The only thing I have left was the original kit, a soldering iron, GH-17.  I used it just last week.  They were great fun and a good learning experience.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
...Probably if you remember Heathkits, then you will remember going to the drugstore to test vacuum tubes...  :roll:

Yep, been there done that.  I have enough old tubes laying about I've been thinking about getting a tube tester to see which ones still are good.  We had one where I work (like the one pictured below) but the boss up and sold it one day 10+ years ago.  I did not even know he was thinking about getting rid of it or I would have made him an offer.  I have probably a dozen old tube radios, a portable stereo, and an early Emerson 9" or so black and white VHF band only TV.  Most of them came through family to me.

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
Yes I remember going to the drug store to test tubes. I wonder if that why my hair is starting to turn grey now and fall out? Now where did I put my cane?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »
...the boss up and sold it one day 10+ years ago.
Mark you need a new boss!!!

I built a bunch of Heathkits in my time and yes the Dynaco amps also (I have two, I think they're the Dynaco stereo 400). Oh and an IMSAI 8080 microcomputer. Still have most everything, including my last kit which, oddly enough, was Heath's best Weather Station which I never got commissioned. IIRC the wind direction indicator was flaky and I never got round to troubleshooting that so it sits on my shelf. Then my wife got me a WMR968 so who knows if I will ever find time to play with the Heath weather station again (sigh). A thing of beauty though...

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »
I've still got my Dynaco 416... oh yeah, I built a Hafler pre-amp and amp. There's actually some demand for the Hafler's...

Any market for a Dynaco that has a flaky channel?
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:44 PM »
Any market for a Dynaco that has a flaky channel?

Since you built it you should know how to fix it.   :lol:
Mark 

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »
Yeah, but getting parts is a b*tch!  :-)
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:11 PM »
Sad but very true!  The old ECG crosses for generic parts are gone and I only have limited success with NTE anymore.

http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefSemiProd.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm

Sometimes you can dig around here and find availability or cross numbers if your lucky enough to find a number painted on the part. (log in as guest)

http://www.encompassparts.com/

Different world now then what it was back then.  If it's a model specific part your likely SOL.   :roll:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:53:45 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline tbweather

• Contributor
    • Tawas Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 05:43:01 PM »
I never got into building electronics kits from Heathkit, but many years ago I drove over to their factory in St. Joseph Michigan and picked up a grandfather clock kit to build. It was a great project. I still have the clock and it still works.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »
I remember the digital clocks they had but not one like that.   :shock:

I've wanted to build a grandfather clock or get a kit for years.  I have a carriage clock I bought as a kit from Emperor and assembled back in the early 1990's.
Mark 

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
Sad but very true!  The old ECG crosses for generic parts are gone and I only have limited success with NTE anymore.

Different world now then what it was back then.  If it's a model specific part your likely SOL.   :roll:

Thats for sure! I used to have good luck with ECG and fair with SK for RF specific parts when the original GE or Motorola P/N
was not handy.Anymore it's a shot in the dark..everything seems to be built and designed with "disposable " in mind!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 12:07:57 AM »
I think it all started as a secret master plan of job security for semiconductor engineers then spilled over to the manufacture's design engineers.   ;)

Mark 

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 10:53:20 PM »
I think it all started as a secret master plan of job security for semiconductor engineers then spilled over to the manufacture's design engineers.   ;)

Must have!
And all the investment to handle SMD components!   ](*,)
I remember when some of our radio equipment was considered a heat source LOL!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
Must have!
And all the investment to handle SMD components!   ](*,)
I remember when some of our radio equipment was considered a heat source LOL!

CB lingo terms "Footwarmer" and "Heater" comes to mind.   :lol:  In some ways though we have came full circle with the new HD TV's on the market.  Ventilation and airflow are once again of a greater concern.  Good to help with heating costs as long as your in a colder climate area.   :mrgreen:
Mark 

anything