Author Topic: Hot in Nashville  (Read 9437 times)

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
Hot in Nashville
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:02 PM »
Temperatures hit 100 degrees late this afternoon.  According to the NWS, it was reached at 4:59 pm at their official recording station near Nashville Int'l Airport.

WOW!  There are several more days where the mercury could top 100.  

I'm ready for October!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Re: Hot in Nashville
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:34:51 PM »
Trust me, I know the feeling! :shock:

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:11:16 PM »
I hate to say it but outside of a several cool days it seems I've been ready for October since June.    =;
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:00:14 PM »
HOT again!  Sheeeez, what a run....c'mon Autumn...we're ready for sweater weather! :)
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »
Temperature 91.4 °F / 1.92 ° per hour
Comfort Level Dangerously Hot
Barometer 29.78 in & Falling
Dew Point 78.9 °
Humidity 67 %
Wind Speed 2 mph from the W
Wind Gust 2 mph from the W
Heat Index 108.0 °F

I'm right there with you. Bring on the snow!

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 04:01:36 PM »
Can't believe you fickle bunch of weinies! Come winter you'll be crying for summer again!

Temp: 94
Heat: 105

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love it  

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:04:07 PM »
Fickle? I'm not fickle. It's just that you can always put more on if you're cold, but you can only take so much off. :lol:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
Bring on the snow????
We had a very toasty heat index of 111.4 today.
I guess to the residents in Arizona that would be about normal.

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »
Have to eat my words NoQuitters

Not long after I posted that a storm rolled thru here and knocked out power (AC). I was sitting here sweating like a stuffed pig at a Saturday barbeque. God has His ways with smart arses lol

BTW my UPS kicked in and kept the PC going for about 25 mins but not long enough, outage was over an hour.

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 07:48:02 PM »
Quote from: "Ravenstar"

Not long after I posted that a storm rolled thru here and knocked out power (AC). I was sitting here sweating like a stuffed pig at a Saturday barbeque. God has His ways with smart arses lol.....

BUUUHAHAHAHA!  My thunderstorm redirector and intensifier project is a total success!!!!

:mrgreen:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »
Quote from: "Mark / Ohio"
Quote from: "Ravenstar"

Not long after I posted that a storm rolled thru here and knocked out power (AC). I was sitting here sweating like a stuffed pig at a Saturday barbeque. God has His ways with smart arses lol.....

BUUUHAHAHAHA!  My thunderstorm redirector and intensifier project is a total success!!!!

:mrgreen:

Now if only we could harness that power for good and not for evil! O:) :wink:
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »
Walked out of Church tonight at 8:30 and the temperature was still 91 degrees....SHEEEZ, this is Tennessee...not South Florida or the dump they call New Orleans....

Oh well....it won't last forever!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 07:21:43 AM »
Soooooooooo, any bets on Winter?  Warmer?  Colder?  Rainy?  Dry?  Snowy?

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 07:44:45 AM »
Be careful what you wish for I guess.......... At 10:15 last night it was still 92. By 10:30 it was 72 and the wind and rain arrived. 40 - 50 mph gusts and 3.34 inches of rain by 6 this morning. Now it is a balmy 68 with a light breeze. Made for a rather fun night.

I can hardly wait until this afternoon when it hits 98 with all the moisture around. I'll be able to swim home from work. :roll:

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 12:06:06 PM »
Ahh, there's nothing wrong with the heat every once in a while guys. Us Florida folks deal with that stuff all summer long.  :lol:

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »
Yeah but remember, all summer long, is the key phrase. I get 5 below with 30 below wind chills, 4 or 5 ice storms, a few feet of snow. Then we switch to thunderstorms that are cat 1 hurricane strength for a month or so with baseball size hail, flooding and tornadoes. Then we progress to what we presently have which is like the Sahara desert with 95% humidity.

I guess if you're into weather it's an ideal place to live, but I still like to complain. :D

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »
One thing that makes it rough is the night time temps staying up in the 70-80 range.  Some here without central AC rely on the cooler night temps to keep the house cooler during the day.  An article was in the local paper tonight about seniors calling one of the local agencies at 9:00am in the morning saying they can't take the heat anymore and need help getting an AC installed, repaired or even some fans.  Also our central AC units are not really sized for 90-100 degrees day after day.  Once it goes above 90 combined with the warm night temps they start loosing ground in many homes and business.

Last year I think we only had one 90 degree day all summer.  That was a good year!   :wink:
Mark 

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »
Who else thinks humans have gotten soft?  A/C has only been in widespread use for about 20-30 years or so.  100 degree temps have been around much longer.  Growing up, we sweat through many, many a 100 degree day and 80 degree night with only a fan or two.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 11:06:29 PM »
Quote from: "WeatherHost"
Who else thinks humans have gotten soft?  A/C has only been in widespread use for about 20-30 years or so.  100 degree temps have been around much longer.  Growing up, we sweat through many, many a 100 degree day and 80 degree night with only a fan or two.

What you've never had nor experienced you don't miss.   :lol:

My mother's made the comment about trying to get to sleep at night using a hand fan and freezing in the winter by morning because the fire in the coal furnace had died down.  She said I had to put up with that enough back then and I'm not going to put up with it now when I don't have to.   =;
Mark 

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
Who else thinks humans have gotten soft?

I believe we have...not only with weather, but also with war...look at how we make a living now compared to the last the early 20th century...not many of us farm.....also, we don't fight together anymore...remember, WW2??  We rationed gas, coffee, steel, etc to WIN...we lost 400,000 troops but stuck together as a country...there are ALOT of lessons to be learned from 'the greatest generation'.....yes, I believe we are soft...I'm sitting in my a/c home in front of my speedy computer typing this...I'm soft compared to my grandfather...I admit it. :oops:

Soooooooooo, any bets on Winter? Warmer? Colder? Rainy? Dry? Snowy?

There is an interesting fact from my area that when we have these HOT, HOT summers...they are followed up by colder than average winters.  I'll be tracking that to see what happens this winter....hmmmm??? 8)
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 03:03:14 PM »
Quote from: "Mark / Ohio"
Quote from: "WeatherHost"

What you've never had nor experienced you don't miss.   :lol:

My mother's made the comment about trying to get to sleep at night using a hand fan and freezing in the winter by morning because the fire in the coal furnace had died down.  She said I had to put up with that enough back then and I'm not going to put up with it now when I don't have to.   =;

Wow. Guess I'm getting old. We grew up without a/c in hot South Dakota summers. We had only one fan in the entire house (of course, that was in my parents' bedroom every night). Couple that with severe asthma, and it was a memorable childhood.

Regarding the comments above about cold winters ... my coldest was going home to SD from college one Christmas. The actual temp was -30F, and the newsies said the wind chill was -90 and to stay indoors. So a bunch of us hopped in the car and went to a college basketball game. :D I also remember going birdwatching (alone!) one New Year's Day when the temp was -10F. Later I realized how stupid that was. The cell phone had not been invented, so had the car broken down... :roll:

Yesterday my wife and kids and I spent part of the afternoon with our 92 year old neighbor lady. What a joy talking to her. My kids mentioned the hot nights this summer. (We have air, so they can't complain.) Our elderly neighbor fondly reminisced about having to sleep outside under the tree during hot summer nights and having to use the outhouse. Yet she said, "It's a different world now. We lived in the best of times back then." I replied, "Yeah, but you had to go through the Great Depression and two world wars." Without missing a beat, she said, "But it made us who we are. It made us stronger." I know that sounds corny, but when a 92 year old woman says it, it isn't corny. I hope her reply stuck with my kids. People from her day seemed to understand that life wasn't just about them.

Yeah, we have grown soft. We don't know how well off we are, and we've also grown very accustomed to our conveniences. We do take a lot for granted.

This must be "Philosophical Sunday".

K...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »

anything