Author Topic: Webcam died  (Read 1288 times)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
Webcam died
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
Hello:
I have a Panasonic BL-C131A wireless IP webcam, it's wireless transmitter quit working several days ago.  :-(

I am trying to find a similar replacement but have not had any success. The webcam has a built in FTP server which makes for easy automated transfers (1/ minute with auto overwrites of last image) plus I can stream on the Internet with a small app that any user can install on their computer to access from their browser. The webcam requires no software to run on my PC just the Internet app. The webcam is an indoor camera which sits on a window sill facing outdoors.

My webcam wish list:
a. Wireless IP
b. 720p or 1080p
c. Built in FTP server
d. No software required to run on PC
e. Automatic overwrite of last uploaded snapshot / image
f. Streaming would be nice but not an absolute requirement
g. Cost $300 or less.

Another thing I am considering is to also use the webcam as a security camera. I am not sure which way to go on selecting a replacement. Brand recommendations would be helpful, need to hear your experiences.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
Re: Webcam died
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 11:24:23 PM »
Hello again:

I am surprised by the lack of responses to my post on my webcam.  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never had this happen before on this forum. Most of you folks have webcams on your websites. What is the secret? Is there a relatively easy solution to replace my Panasonic BL-C131A?
I have contacted several manufacturers via email and am waiting to hear their recommendations.

I fear the lack of responses means setup is not easy and or requires a lot of trial and error with unique setups to obtain a workable solution.

I hope someone has had a good experience setting up a webcam and can pass the info along to this forum.

Thanks for your consideration
Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:26:42 PM by tshattuck »

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 12:57:31 AM »
Hello again:

I am surprised by the lack of responses to my post on my webcam.  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never had this happen before on this forum. Most of you folks have webcams on your websites. What is the secret? Is there a relatively easy solution to replace my Panasonic BL-C131A?
I have contacted several manufacturers via email and am waiting to hear their recommendations.

I fear the lack of responses means setup is not easy and or requires a lot of trial and error with unique setups to obtain a workable solution.

I hope someone has had a good experience setting up a webcam and can pass the info along to this forum.

Thanks for your consideration
Tom
I don't think that people are avoiding the topic because it is hard. I suspect quite a lot of people will be using an outdoor camera setup that uses a script. It's probably just a case that they are not doing what you want help with.

For example, my camera is outdoors, using a cable, although it can use WiFi. It is 1920x1080 pixels. It is polled by a script that runs on a linux desktop or a Raspberry Pi. I run my own webserver that displays the images, and I get places like WU and WOW to poll my system to get the images, so I never use FTP. Pretty much the only box I would tick on your list would be less than $300.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »
Hello sky_watcher:

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid setting up a webcam might be rather involved and you confirmed that possibility. I liked the Panasonic webcam because it was so easy to setup.

So to your point I may have to change my criteria for the webcam.

So here goes:

a. Wireless IP
b. 1080P
c. FTP server ?
d. Under $300.00

I hope this opens options that forum members can speak to from personal experiences.

Regards,
Tom

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »
My question is why WiFi? With WiFi you still need to contend with power. Wireless isn't so wireless in this regard. My thinking is if you need to run power then just run Ethernet to deliver power and network over the same cable. Granted there are situations where cabling into the home may present a challenge...I accept that. But unless you've got power nearby a power cable is just messy compared to Ethernet. But even if power is nearby a video camera is potentially going to eat up some valuable WiFi bandwidth that you may want for other things. The other problem is that often where you want the camera if you go with WiFi, you may realize that outside at that location that maybe WiFi isn't so great reception wise. I've run Ethernet all over my house, inside and out. It saves WiFi bandwidth, allows me possibility more camera choices and other devices. I put as much as I can Ethernet and leave WiFi for those devices that don't come any other way. This improves the performance of those devices that need to be on WiFi.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:20:40 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 07:51:33 PM »
galfert:

The reason for WIFI is I have used all my available ports on my LINKSYS WRT1900AC Router and I prefer not to have to purchase a switch. I have very good WIFI coverage thanks to the LINKSYS router.

If WIFI limits my choices I may have to revisit my criteria for the replacement webcam. I prefer to keep my setup as simple as possible.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »
Tom - Here is a thought... That Panasonic was cutting edge in the Analogue camera world. Many bells and whistles that no other camera had. And even though it aged well, these days its inability to connect to secure rich email servers etc may have done it in. But you still can find them for sale and used.

It's class of cameras these days fall into what is called often a "Nanny" cam or "baby monitor". As others have said most of the features you seek are embodied into outdoor class CCTV cameras. The others are the type that can direct support iOS and Android phones with native apps which I suspect you have already cruised through.

Another approach is not to get an all in one "toaster" appliance but get a decent camera and a price you like and then farm out the ftp to software. You can easily get your a, b, and d off the shelf. Then for c - Depending on what your station is running for OS, many have optional FTP servers, or just as easy just download industry standard available low cost or free and more importantly in my book, updated regularly to close security holes software such as FileZilla. Most cameras these days can be viewed or "monitored" on your LAN with just a standard web browser due to their built in webservers. Many now support https/ssl connections because they are being marketed as "security" cameras.

D-Link makes a few cameras that fall into your price range and below. Foscam, Wyze also make some real good cameras. Wyze has a 50 buck outdoor that has great quality views and just because it is marketed as outdoors, you can run it indoors.

Hopefully you will find a solution you feel comfortable with, and can be as stable and long-lifed as your Panasonic was.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
If you are all maxed out on 4 ports from your router then I'd say that the switch you are holding out on will eventually become a necessity. No sense in putting that off. There are several solutions to this situation. First you don't need a Gigabit switch for video camera and if one of the other wired things is a printer or a Vonage box or maybe it is some other less important thing you can just get a cheap 100 Mbps switch (or maybe you have one) and it will then only affect those two things coming off the router and 100 Mbps in this situation probably won't matter. You could also repurpose an old router by making use of it as just a switch and turning off its router capabilities (be sure to turn of DHCP service and don't use WAN port). But seriously I can't believe this is the excuse regardless as a 5 port gigabit switch is less than $18 for a decent brand like TP-Link. The premium you pay for a WiFi camera over an Ethernet camera more than makes up for this difference.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:30:51 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 03:57:56 AM »
This is my camera.

https://foscamcanada.com/FI9900P

I chose because i have nothing for wired network in my 1991 house. And I am certainly not running any with WiFi everything these days. I had power readily avaiable.

Not sure if it ticks ALL the boxes but using with Meteobridge to fetch images from it.........works a treat.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 01:50:36 PM »
Hello:

I want to thank all you folks who responded to my post. Many good points were brought to my attention. I am definitely getting an education on webcams. It's been 12 years since I had to look into purchasing a webcam. I can't complain about the longevity of the Panasonic webcam.   [tup]

Brian brought up some new points for me which I will now investigate. I beginning to feel a little more comfortable about replacing the webcam.

Stay tuned.

Tom