Author Topic: Alkaline Batteries, should I replace them anyways?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Alkaline Batteries, should I replace them anyways?
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »
In a few more weeks, the weather will be nice enough to mow grass again.  Even though I have not had any low battery warning indicators on my OS-WMR968, it is still running with the batteries that came with it.  And I do have pretty good solar coverage for the panels.  So should I go ahead and replace them, while I the weather is good or should I wait closer to next fall?  I am sort of worried that the summer heat may also do a number on them.  I have already seen some weathering of the plastic components (discoloration) of the system.  I have had everything mounted and running for about 16 months now.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Alkaline Batteries, should I replace them anyways?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
Wow 16 months on those alkaline's is pretty good Sam. I have a question for you, does the OS system use the solar panels to recharge rechargable batteries if you choose to use them instead? If so you wouldn't have to be concerned with this and just swap in a set of rechargables. If not then I'd just swap in a fresh set of alkalines for the season to be sure.   :-)

Dan
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:01:56 PM by DanS »

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
The OS unit has Alkaline batteries and NiCads in each sensor package.  And the solar panels charge the NiCads.  But I was just wondering if I should replace them soon or wait until I get a Low battery indicator at most likely the most inconvenient time for me.  I guess I will just pick a day this summer to swap them out.  I may even replace them with those fancy Lithuim batteries everybody talks about.  I will also go ahead and set a yearly reminder in my Outlook calender for their replacement.  As I get older I have forgotten more things then I have learned lately.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
The alkalines in the base/console probably should be changed yearly but the NiCads in the remote sensors (with solar panels) should (almost) never need replacing, just a yearly inspection maybe to be sure they're clean and doing their job.  :grin:

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
Sam,
4 Canadian winters and 3 summers, have not changed my alkalines.  when I did open heart surgery on my rain gauge last summer, the alkaline's still registered in the high good range on radio shack battery tester.  So the solar/rechargeables definitely do a pretty good job.... and my rain gauge was out of direct sunlight for most of its first 2-3 years.

Dan,
the nicad's are battery packs, hopefully they dont need changing as its not as simple as just throwing a few nicad AA's in there.

So my alkalines might need changing soon due to age, but I wonder if cracking the seal would be more detremental than them potentially running out, then again a battery leak in there would do some damage....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:22:48 AM »
I think an annual inspection of the sensor internals would be a good idea.  Perhaps in the fall (my preference) when the time changes.  A new set of batteries aren't that much.  But, as long as the solar cell is working it's probably OK and the AA batteries were probably never used and are still charged.  I'd just check that the AAs are clean and dry. As was stated previously, a battery leak would be nasty.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:46:49 AM »
Fall would be best.  simply because it would mean the freshest batteries for winter... and climbing up on the roof to do the anemometer for me after november could be a risky (riskier  ;) ) proposition....

Andrew

I think an annual inspection of the sensor internals would be a good idea.  Perhaps in the fall (my preference) when the time changes.  A new set of batteries aren't that much.  But, as long as the solar cell is working it's probably OK and the AA batteries were probably never used and are still charged.  I'd just check that the AAs are clean and dry. As was stated previously, a battery leak would be nasty.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »
Thanks guys.  I am going to go ahead and pull them soon.  Yes I agree about the "do it before fall" thing, but I am worried about leakage at this point.  So I will most likely open them, and replace them with the lithuim's and then do early fall checks from there on out. 

I am glad OS seals them well, but did that have to use so many darn small screws. :evil:     They are hard to deal with when you are standing on a ladder, and afraid of heights like myself. :oops:    <<<<<< The thought of dropping a small screw and losing it in the grass is more scary than maybe dealing with some internal battery leakage.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »

Replaced all of mine this past fall. Some tested fine others were questionable..mainly the rain collector transmitter batteries checked the weakest and they have about the slowest response time on updates!  My sunshine is plenty enough to get hot during the summer but trees do shelter it enough to make a strain on a solar cells efficiency. A battery leak would be mean to clean up on these if it migrated to the right place.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

jwyman

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
I replace my cells twice a year - I put akalines in in the spring and lithiums in the fall.......Keeps things fresh....

Jim

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:00:47 AM »
Now I have made myself paranoid about leakage.. (sounds like one of those ads)

Sam, probably not a bad idea to do it now.   Then you could probably push the next change to fall 2010, then annually after that (assuming you dont become a vp2 convert by then)

Even thought its going up to 15 degrees (59F) today, I will probably wait till real spring.  My access to the roof is via a second floor bedroom window out to garage roof and then a short step ladder up to roof.  I still have the temporary culking on the window that I need to egress through.

Andrew

Thanks guys.  I am going to go ahead and pull them soon.  Yes I agree about the "do it before fall" thing, but I am worried about leakage at this point.  So I will most likely open them, and replace them with the lithuim's and then do early fall checks from there on out. 

I am glad OS seals them well, but did that have to use so many darn small screws. :evil:     They are hard to deal with when you are standing on a ladder, and afraid of heights like myself. :oops:    <<<<<< The thought of dropping a small screw and losing it in the grass is more scary than maybe dealing with some internal battery leakage.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »

Yes, if you drop one, you're really screwed.   :roll:

I dropped an air valve knob from the fifth floor of a tower at work once.  Five floors of stairs down to the gravel (luckily I found it) then five floors of stairs up to the valve.

On a lighter note (pun intended) I found this about solar cell orientation (well, if you're going to be up there, you might as well check the orientation):

Solar panels should always face true south. (If you are in the southern hemisphere, they should face north.) The question is, at what angle from horizontal should the panels be tilted? Books and articles on solar energy often give the advice that the tilt should be equal to your latitude, plus 15 degrees in winter, or minus 15 degrees in summer.

More can be found here:  http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »
My access to the roof is via a second floor bedroom window out to garage roof and then a short step ladder up to roof.

That sounds like an episode of Batman.  Holy Scaffolds!   8-[
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
......More can be found here:  http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html

Wow, alot of stuff to consider there.  I have a totally unobstructed solar view, so again another reason I have never seen a low battery indicator.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:12:40 AM »
Do the screws fall out?  I thought they were those ones (dont know what they are called), that will not come out of the cover....just keep spinning....

If you dont have one get yourself a Bosch PS20-2 Pocket Driver or something similar. Tiny, light, has a holster, runs forever LION batter.   I rarely get out my 18V or 24V drills anymore... I usually try it with this one then get out the big guns if it does nto have enough torque, as it always on the main floor, or on the stairs to basement.

its great for machine screws (like in a plug recepticle), can swap ones of those out in about 5% of the time compared to using a real screwdriver.

Andrew

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
Probably sounds more complicated then it is, a lot safer than a 30 foot extension ladder, escpecially without a spotter.

Andrew

My access to the roof is via a second floor bedroom window out to garage roof and then a short step ladder up to roof.

That sounds like an episode of Batman.  Holy Scaffolds!   8-[

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
The alkaline batteries contain more water/moisture internally than the lithiums.  That's why the lithiums can also withstand colder temps.
I've used the lithiums in all my sensors from the first install three years ago.  Never had a problem with leakage, either.  Unfortunately, I cannot say I've had good luck with the stock rechargeable, Ni-Mh cells.   They can only go thru so many cycles and poop out eventually, and I know everyone has problems getting replacements.  I made my own and copied the arrangement of the original.  Pain in the neck soldering and aligning, and reusing the original polarized connector, but I did save around $20 versus buying the whole assembly from "Battery Connection".
Mine didn't look a lot different from the one they sell.  Yes, in a pinch, I would spend the $30, but only if I didn't have time to make up a pack myself.  :oops:
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148