Author Topic: Rainwise 111 rain gauge connection to VP2  (Read 3295 times)

Offline evergreek

Rainwise 111 rain gauge connection to VP2
« on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »
Hello all - just received the RW 111 -- but the connector that it came with (wired version).. Does not seem to be "pluggable" into the VP2.. What kind of mod do I need to do to it in order to be able to use the RW111 rain gauge vs the VP2 one.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Rainwise 111 rain gauge connection to VP2
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 06:09:55 PM »
You'll need a phone cable with an RJ11 jack on one end to plug into the ISS just like the stock tipper does. The other end is hard wired into the RW in place of the counter with the red and green wire to one RW wire and the yellow wire to the other. The black wire is unused.

Offline evergreek

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 06:21:51 PM »
You'll need a phone cable with an RJ11 jack on one end to plug into the ISS just like the stock tipper does. The other end is hard wired into the RW in place of the counter with the red and green wire to one RW wire and the yellow wire to the other. The black wire is unused.

Exactly what I needed! Thank you sir!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:24:37 PM »
Sure, it's an excellent mod. Try to mount your bucket base as level and sturdy as you can for the best accuracy.

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
Agreed. After getting tired of inconsistent results from the davis tipper I bought a Rainwise. Havent had a problem since. Last big rain event the RW recorded 4.02in, the COCORAHS about 2ft away 4.03in.

Offline evergreek

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »
What kind of mounting setup you guys recommend? I was thinking of buying a 2 ft tall metal pole with a metal or wood base and screw the rw111 into it. My VP 2 is up 5ft in the air.. how close should I put the rw111 to it?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »
What kind of mounting setup you guys recommend? I was thinking of buying a 2 ft tall metal pole with a metal or wood base and screw the rw111 into it. My VP 2 is up 5ft in the air.. how close should I put the rw111 to it?
Mine is screwed into the top of my cider block wall. Put the RW wherever you want, obviously depending how much cable you want to run. Just make it level and sturdy. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
Agreed. After getting tired of inconsistent results from the davis tipper I bought a Rainwise. Havent had a problem since. Last big rain event the RW recorded 4.02in, the COCORAHS about 2ft away 4.03in.
I just had a 0.66" for both of them, but that's remarkable what you got. I'm almost always within 0.02" between the two.

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
I just had a 0.66" for both of them, but that's remarkable what you got. I'm almost always within 0.02" between the two.

Its rare that its more than 0.03in off. What also make that more impressive was that it involved very heavy rainfall rates +6.00in per hr from a squall line.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »

Its rare that its more than 0.03in off. What also make that more impressive was that it involved very heavy rainfall rates +6.00in per hr from a squall line.
Indeed. I think this is where the RW truly excels as it handles heavy events better than the smaller catches and spoons for a much more consistent tipper.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »

Be careful using a "phone cable". While the RJ11 connector will fit, the wires in the phone cable are reversed at each end. Unless you "ring out" the conductors with an ohmmeter, it is better to find a "straight through" cable. (like what Davis provides).

If you pick the correct end of the phone cable it will work, but I wanted to bring this up so you aren't chasing problems due to the unique phone wiring.

Image from https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/telephone-cables

Greg H.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:44:22 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
Agree, I had issues using the phone plug so I ended up crimping my own plugs.  You can also just splice and use the Davis plug as last resort. Make sure you do a lot of testing with the tipper I've had issues with double-counting, before calling it good.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 03:55:37 PM »
I used a phone cable I bought from Ace with the RJ11 already attached and had zero issues, worked perfectly the first time and still does. It is just a reed switch, I don't see how it can be screwed up. That said, if it doesn't work, merely reverse the wires.

Offline CW7221

• Hokendauqua Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »
Mine is screwed into the top of my cider block wall. Put the RW wherever you want, obviously depending how much cable you want to run. Just make it level and sturdy.
Can it be retrofitted atop the VP2 totally replacing the rain bucket and tipper of my pole-mounted station?

Offline evergreek

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »
You can try - but it is much wider and not a “direct” fit.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »
Can it be retrofitted atop the VP2 totally replacing the rain bucket and tipper of my pole-mounted station?
Sure, but you may need to fashion some sort of platform (forget wood, even treated may warp) for it to set properly. Like I said, for the best accuracy, it needs to be sturdy (no pole shimmy) and level.

Offline jkline

• PaloAltoWeather.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
Just a heads up that the wiring suggested above is incorrect.

The correct wiring can be found in this thread:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=27517.125
(Davis wire green & yellow connects to one side of the reed switch.  Red connects to the other side).

Note: I am using a straight through cable (indeed, purchased from Davis and chopped off one end).

I found out the hard way.  I followed the instructions above.  I’ve now corrected the wiring and all is good.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 07:43:42 PM »

(Davis wire green & yellow connects to one side of the reed switch.  Red connects to the other side).
Just as an FYI, as I stated up top, red/green on one side and yellow on the other works as well. It's merely a reed switch completing a circuit.

Offline jkline

• PaloAltoWeather.com
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »

Just as an FYI, as I stated up top, red/green on one side and yellow on the other works as well. It's merely a reed switch completing a circuit.

I wonder if we used the same cable.  Oh well, it will be interesting to hear another’s experience if anyone else tries this.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »

I wonder if we used the same cable.  Oh well, it will be interesting to hear another’s experience if anyone else tries this.
Yes. Don't over complicate this.

Offline jkline

• PaloAltoWeather.com
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »
I had it wired your way.  When I plugged it in, it immediately registered a tip as if the circuit was already closed.  Then, no matter how many times I caused the bucket to tip, the tip did not register.

After some searching, I found the thread I referenced above.  When I re-wired to match the other thread, the tipping worked.

No one is over complicating anything.  It is appropriate to report my experience in using a Davis cable.

The wiring is not complicated, so it is difficult to imagine our differing experience IF we both used an RG-11 plug wired exactly the same.  You used a cable you bought from Ace.  If it wasn’t a straight through cable and you picked the end that differed from the Davis cable, of course, you could have different results.

I don’t understand why you say in this thread that you don’t know how something could go wrong.  There are two things that could go wrong.  One could wire it so that the circuit is permanently closed and one could wire it such that the circuit never closes.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 11:18:50 PM »
I have been reading through the threads and there is some conflicting info on what wire goes to what when converting from davis to rainwise rain guage.

First question is to do this mod, do you solder the wires to the sides of the reed switch or splice the wires?

2nd one is what color wires go together?
Is this the correct connection mapping: Davis wire green & yellow connects to one side of the reed switch.  Red connects to the other side?

Last question, what type of heater do you use for snow melt? (will reptile heat cable work)? Please provide some details of what you use to help understand options.

Thanks so can continue to tune VP2 station which is almost 2 already.
Frank

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 11:31:13 PM »
I have been reading through the threads and there is some conflicting info on what wire goes to what when converting from davis to rainwise rain guage.

First question is to do this mod, do you solder the wires to the sides of the reed switch or splice the wires?

2nd one is what color wires go together?
Is this the correct connection mapping: Davis wire green & yellow connects to one side of the reed switch.  Red connects to the other side?

Last question, what type of heater do you use for snow melt? (will reptile heat cable work)? Please provide some details of what you use to help understand options.

Thanks so can continue to tune VP2 station which is almost 2 already.
Frank
1st...Just unhook the RW counter and use the wire nuts for the cable. No need to soldier or splice anything.

2nd...I believe you're correct. If not, switch'em around til it does work.

Can't help with the heater.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 10:33:42 PM »
You're welcome.

anything