Author Topic: Please help me fix my old German Weather Houses  (Read 6738 times)

Offline kalaikennedy

Please help me fix my old German Weather Houses
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:35:14 AM »
Please help me fix my old German Weather Houses. It's raining outside, but the ladies are out and have not returned inside since I received them. Any tips on how to correct this will most appreciated.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Please help me fix my old German Weather Houses
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
I haven't seen  one of those in decades.  Cool!! But sorry - I can't help you on how to fix them.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:43 AM »
These are really cool. Maybe the gut is worn out or broken?

The male and female figures ride on a balance bar, which is suspended by a piece of catgut or hair. The gut relaxes or shrinks based on the humidity in the surrounding air, relaxing when the air is wet and tensing when the air is dry. This action swings one figure or the other out of the house depending on the humidity.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline kalaikennedy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
How might I fix the gut? Sorry for my ignorance; I've never had these before. Thank you!

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 11:52:44 AM »
just happened on this as I have one of these.
They are actually hygrometers so if the RH in your house is dry the lady will be out even if it is wet outside.
The pair are balanced on a piece of cat (cattle) gut or similar which shrinks or unshrinks with humidity.