Author Topic: EcoWitt WH57 false positives  (Read 469 times)

Offline StephenH

EcoWitt WH57 false positives
« on: March 04, 2024, 12:28:03 AM »
I recently purchased the ECOWITT WN1981 Wi-Fi Weather Station Indoor and Outdoor, Includes WN1980 LCD Display Console and WS90 Outdoor Sensor, 915 MHz. It arrived at the end of January and I installed it. It has been working well, although I still need to calibrate the rain sensor. I also ordered the WH57 Wireless Lightning Detector Sensor and installed it. This has been an exercise in frustration.

The lightning sensor keeps reporting hits at a distance of 8 miles. I have changed the settings from standard all down to low sensitivity and still get strikes at 8 miles even though we have had no thunderstorms or lightning in our area during the time I have had it. I have written Ecowitt customer support and they suggested moving it, which I did. They also suggested setting it back to all switches down, which I also did. I continue to get a count of "strikes" at 8 miles. March 2nd, it was 27. March 3rd, it was 20. It has been as high as 40 some odd "strikes" at 8 miles distance.

I have until March 8th to return this item which I will do unless someone can suggest how to get it to stop with the false positive reports. It isn't useful if I can't trust it. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice that I could implement.

Additional information: I am an amateur radio operator and have HF, VHF, and UHF transmitters. I orginally had the WH57 mounted on the same side of the house as my main HF antenna. I moved it to the other side of the house. We live on a small lot and I can't move it much farther away. Moving it did not help anyway. What else could I try?

Edit:  I am using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 12:39:21 AM by StephenH »

Offline swright1957

• Wakefield Way PWS
Re: EcoWitt WH57 false positives
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 06:02:46 AM »
Hi
Do any of these false strikes coincide with you using the VHF equipment for your radio?
if not try changing the settings on the WH57 to low, and see what happens.
"anything's possible with the weather"
www.hytheweather.co.uk/signaturebanner.gif

Offline StephenH

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 07:53:55 AM »
I am running a Terrestrial Amateur Radio Packet Network (TARPN) node. It has both UHF and VHF radios. These are running constantly and multiple times an hour, it at least gives a status update. The count does not seem to have any correlation to the use of the radios. I already tried switching to low power (switch positions 1 and 2-down, 3 and 4-up). So far today, there is a count of 21 at the distance of 8 miles.

Either this unit is a dud or there is something out there that is putting out a signal being picked up by this unit and interpreted as lightning. There is a power substation, but it is about 2 miles away, not 8.

Offline countzero

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 04:54:08 AM »
I get phantom hits every now and again at precisely 31 kilometres. It's a minor irritation. I'm guessing it's someone's irrigation turning on but I still haven't nailed it down to a schedule that makes sense

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 03:08:15 AM »
I have false positives too, only one a day that is for sure connected to something that happens in my house because if nobody is in no false positive occurs.
I believe it is a LED lamp (not the others, only one) but this occour not when it is turned on but after some time.

Offline swright1957

• Wakefield Way PWS
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 05:46:44 AM »
It could be the power station, that is turning on or off.
If you have turned it down to low and still happening it could be a faulty unit, but try putting it indoors next to the gateway and see what happens...
"anything's possible with the weather"
www.hytheweather.co.uk/signaturebanner.gif

anything