Author Topic: TCP-IP seams to "time out" on VVP  (Read 3392 times)

Offline redcat

• 2 sites, 1 personel and 1 I maintain at the FD
TCP-IP seams to "time out" on VVP
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
Our setup.  Vantagepro2 with a serial logger (not IP), connected to VVP. Using N8VB driver on XP-pro. Com ports are running WL, WD, Cumulus, and VP-live. Starting and monitoring with Startwatch. Using WD in host/client mode for a couple of network computers. This computer is under lock and key (now that I have it running good) without a publicly viewable screen.

I am trying to run a second copy of WL that I am calling "remote" on a public computer running Windows7. Tcp/ip 5511 at 192.168.1.3 (this is a fixed address). It has enable and protect council ticked. Running this computer has several benefits for us. It can be seen publicly and if the computer is used for another purpose and accidently shut down, I do not loose updating WU and CWOP. Also I think it is acting like a live backup. It then gives me the ability to move the council to this machine if my "weather computer" fails and we can be back up and running in less than 1/2 hour.

Everything seams to be running well. I am impressed with Cumulus, logs show the least problems, I need to send a donation. But if my windows7 is shut down for more than about 1/2 hrs, It cannot find and connect to VVP. To reconnect I need to restart VVP then restart the remote WL. At this point I have to reset manually.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thank you

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: TCP-IP seams to "time out" on VVP
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
I have noticed this also .. I have one VVP with a Serial connection to the VP1+ console, 4 COM ports used by WL, WD, VWS, Cumulus, and 4 TCP/IP ports (used by Meteohub, WeatherCat, WeatherSnoop) and one port used as console source for a VVP running on a different system on Win7 (that runs test copies of WXSolution, wview, wswin32, Cumulus and Meteobridge through com/tcp-ip and Enterlogic Virtual Serial Port).

What I've observed is that on the TCP/IP connections, sometimes VVP will try sending LOOP nnnn of 255 (nnnn>255) and will only reset if you disconnect the console for 10 seconds, then reconnect.  Restarting the virtual port seems to have no effect, but the short disconnect of the console does reset so it will work when the weather software reconnects. 
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline redcat

• 2 sites, 1 personel and 1 I maintain at the FD
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
I have tried all kinds of setting and still no luck. I am thinking that instead of using N8vBvcom. To try ComOCom.

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
Running a < 12 months old VantageVue upgraded to FW 3.00
Cumulus b1076 and Weatherlink 6.03 via VVP trial.
Both Cumulus and Weatherlink set up to talk to VVP by IP (all in the same Win7 PC) - NO serial ports set up in VVP except to connect to the console via the (new) Weatherlink logger which is USB running in serial mode and configured that way via the Weatherlink install from the start.
This has been running for around 20 days now and has locked up twice this last week.

Currently back to serial mode in Cumulus with VVP and Weatherlink off.