Author Topic: new default on customization is EVERYTHING  (Read 1191 times)

Offline danxx

• Contributor
new default on customization is EVERYTHING
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »
I look at the 10-day forecasts a lot. They are useful to me. Normally, they show up with just the basics, though I often have to go into "CUSTOMIZE" and turn on Dew Point. As of today, the default is that EVERYTHING in CUSTOMIZED is checked. No, I really don't care about "feels like", and "cloud cover" is similarly useless to me. Now, the right way to do it would be to log in, customize as you please, and that customization is remembered. That has never been the case, but now everything is turned on by default. This is s significant change to functionality. I don't like it.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: new default on customization is EVERYTHING
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 02:51:53 AM »
Consider this a major improvement.

The "customizations" actually stick now instead of being ignored.

I am one of their harshest critics but I do give credit when due.

Thanks WU.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
Not quite. They stick while your browser is open. When you close it, restart and call up a 10-day, you're back to the default.

WU knows how to remember your favorite cities, but it has a mind-block when it comes to remembering your customizations.

Offline railrode1

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:16 PM »
I'm still trying to just log in and it accept it! It's been full on ads for awhile now.
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
WU knows how to remember your favorite cities, but it has a mind-block when it comes to remembering your customizations.
Yeah I should have known better.  They don't remember favorite cities correctly either...I am still getting a different PWS (and sometimes one in the next town over) instead of the one I set as favorite.

Offline just_want_to_help

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »
Not quite. They stick while your browser is open. When you close it, restart and call up a 10-day, you're back to the default.

Let me know which browser you use and I'll tell you how to fix this.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »
I'm using Firefox 69.0. The issue is that WU has set up those customizations differently than other preferences.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »
Ok, here are the steps on FF69:

1. Go to your 10 day weather page and set your customizations.
2. Refresh the page, your customizations should still be there.
3. While on the 10 day weather page, open the integrated developer tools (hit F12)
4. Go to Storage tab. By default you should now see all the cookies set by WU
5. Find cookie named "selectedSeries"
6. Change the expiration value for that cookie. It should say "Session" by default. Set it to any date in the future, keeping this format in mind "Wed, 11 Sep 2024 17:33:32 GMT"
7. Close the developer tools
8. Close FF
9. Reopen, confirm that your customizations are there and have a cold one.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
As a computer user, not a developer, I was able to follow your instructions and "corrected" the 10-Day page defaults in Firefox. I don't normally use Firefox so I took a chance and poked around in Chrome's Developer tool box. I found similar paths to the cookies and located the selectedSeries entry. It appears that the date format is different than Firefox but I copied a 2024 date from another entry. It appears to be holding.

Thanks for the post and hopefully this will hold.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:36:01 PM by Notsorusty »
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
OK, that seemed to work. I made the expiration date change for "selectedSeries" to many years in the future, closed FF, reopened, went to WU 10-day, and my customization choices were preserved, which they hadn't been before. Thank you.

Now, I don't understand. Why can't WU set those choices not to expire? Lots of other cookies there have far-future expiration dates. Seems kinda dumb to set preferences that aren't remembered. What kind of "preferences" are those?

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
You're welcome. I think it's just a mistake on their part, which will probably get fixed sometime in the future.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 05:28:10 PM »
You're welcome. I think it's just a mistake on their part, which will probably get fixed sometime in the future.

Like in 2024.  :roll:

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
The silly thing is that this preference shouldn't be stored in your cookies (which I clear out now and then). It should be in your WU account. Much as for favorite cities. I was assuming that WU programmers were just high school student interns, but even they'd be smart enough to understand this. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:20:04 PM by danxx »