Author Topic: Data grab from Atlas using SDR and weewx  (Read 1466 times)

Offline LovelandCO

Data grab from Atlas using SDR and weewx
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
I did a search on this topic before posting and did not find any posts, so here goes...

Just purchased an Atlas and discovered (1) The USB port on the display does not allow access to data (2) the Access Point is hard to come by and somewhat expensive. With that in mind, I am going to try and tap into the sensor stream (412 Mhz I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong!) and then use weewx to parse and upload the data.

I am posting this to see if anyone else has gone down this road and can offer any advice/info/recommendations and also to provide info and hopefully a working solution for those who might want to avoid the cost of the Access point from Accurite. My plan is to write a VB.net application that coupled with an SDR kit and weewx, will be able to accomplish the same as Accurite's access point but also allow for a little more flexibility in manipulating and sending the data.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Re: Data grab from Atlas using SDR and weewx
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 03:45:37 PM »
I think they work on 433MHz. 

The Access is expensive but I found a used one here:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=acurite+access&_sacat=0

and a quick search found this:  https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38424.msg395295#msg395295

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
There's a huge thread in this very section about rtl_433 and a USB SDR dongle picking up AcuRite packets off the air.  I did it for a few years with rtl_433 integrated with WeeWX on a Raspberry Pi, but that was with my 5-in-1.  That thread was rambling on with adding additional AcuRite packet support, but I stopped following it when my 5-in-1 finally died.  Did they ever get Atlas packets supported in rtl_433?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
Did they ever get Atlas packets supported in rtl_433?????

This past July, I cleaned up the issues with the Atlas code and got it merged into rtl_433.

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
I did a search on this topic before posting and did not find any posts, so here goes...

[...]

My plan is to write a VB.net application that coupled with an SDR kit and weewx, will be able to accomplish the same as Accurite's access point but also allow for a little more flexibility in manipulating and sending the data.

Sorry didn't see this when it was posted. rtl_433 works with RTL-SDRs. It has a lot of flexibility. 

For WeeWX, Mathew Walls WeeWX-SDR (Python) feeds Weewx using rtl_433 output, though I haven't actually tried it.

I'm using MQTT to send data from rtl_433 to Home Assistant and other sources.  rtl_433 by itself still runs nicely on a RPI 1 B for most 433 mhz stuff (250 khz sample rate, minimal or no FSK decoding)

Hardware wise, my preference these days is rtlsdr.com's v3 units, they are a better built and perform reasonably better than others I've used.  I haven't tried the latest from Nooelec.

anything