Author Topic: PC Connect program won't open  (Read 5098 times)

Offline KMTKALIS132

PC Connect program won't open
« on: June 28, 2019, 01:40:45 AM »
Hi,

I had PC Connect up and running with data going to WU just fine. Then I screwed something up, uninstalled PC Connect, reinstalled it (countless times), but when I try and open up the program to send data out, there's an hour glass for a second or two, and the program doesn't open. When I try multiple times, clicking fast on it, it says it is open, however, there is nothing showing in the Task Manager resembling Acurite or PC Connect.

I have looked online for some fix to force the program to open, but nothing has worked. Every other program on the computer works fine.

I have updated to the very latest Win 10 updates, downloaded the current PC Connect software, but no luck! Any thoughts?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: PC Connect program won't open
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
Make sure the latest software you downloaded was this version. Otherwise it may be a permission problem. Try right clicking on the AcuRiteConnect.exe and Run as administrator.

A software update is now available for PC Connect - for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7. This update is required to continue connecting your product to My AcuRite after Thursday, February 28, 2019.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36259.msg372106#msg372106

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline KMTKALIS132

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
Tried all that, no luck.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »
I would think it should work by running it from the folder it was installed in. Everything should be in that folder.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »
Can you download and try "Vis Reader"? Worth a shot maybe?
What mode are you in on the console? USB 3 or 4? (Some do not allow adjustment)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:05:44 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline KMTKALIS132

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
I would think it should work by running it from the folder it was installed in. Everything should be in that folder.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tried that, too. Clicking on the program several times brings up a message: program is open. There is nothing showing in Task Manager, and no icon in the lower right of the taskbar like there used to be.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
Strange that it thinks it is already running but you have no signs of it. Something must be corrupted. If you want you can download my folder and try running from it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gv5b2usn3kow3u4/AAALu2DHli0CfZbDE7KOU9_Ga?dl=0

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
If you have it setup to run at startup maybe that shortcut is linked to the wrong location. Try deleting the shortcut from the startup folder and reboot.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline KMTKALIS132

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »

There isn't a mode adjustment on the back of the display.

I think Vis Reader is for the wifi model??

Offline KMTKALIS132

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:57:29 PM »
Strange that it thinks it is already running but you have no signs of it. Something must be corrupted. If you want you can download my folder and try running from it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gv5b2usn3kow3u4/AAALu2DHli0CfZbDE7KOU9_Ga?dl=0

Tried that, agree that something is corrupted. Still working on it.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »

There isn't a mode adjustment on the back of the display.

I think Vis Reader is for the wifi model??

To change USB modes on some displays, you hold down the up key I believe. Some might even be done by holding down all three middle keys...

VIS reader is for USB consoles, not Wifi.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 10:00:16 AM »
What is the purpose of switching USB modes? Why is this even a thing? Why isn't it just plug into USB and done? I don't think I've ever seen any USB device have modes. Well the only thing I can think of is Android where you can select Charge only, PTP, and MTP modes to transfer pictures, or media mass storage connections.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
The "USB mode" determines what information streams and the setting of the internal logger.

It's just a setting.  It has nothing to do with the USB protocol.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:52:30 AM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 11:03:10 AM »
I should have searched and found this as a better answer from you:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=27248.msg262682#msg262682

I like the graphic in that post.

I still have a question regarding the difference between Mode 3 and Mode 4. Is there a steaming reporting interval difference between them? Or is the only difference that Mode 4 doesn't save to local console storage?
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
4 states.  2 bits.

One bit is streaming on or off.

One bit is data logger on or off.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
Okay I get now... Funny it wasn't done in order.

10 - Mode 1
00 - Mode 2
11 - Mode 3
01 - Mode 4

But I still wonder why they even bothered. If you want streaming you plug in the USB ...if you don't want streaming then you don't plug the USB in. Even if you need the USB plugged in for some other reason to read the data from the console or something but you don't want streaming then no program runs on the computer and the steaming is then ignored. My point is why the need to even turn off streaming? Same thing for the local storage....if you don't want local storage then don't put in a memory card....why the need to disable it? If the memory card is internal and not removable then use it should be logging to it even if you don't want to see that data....if you don't want it and you only want live console view then ignore the internal storage. Which is why I'm concluding that having all these modes add unneeded complexity. Both features should be always on....I think at least. Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »
From a consumer standpoint probably doesn't make sense, but from a developer standpoint it can be useful.

For example, maintaining compatibility with prior implementations.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
From a consumer standpoint probably doesn't make sense, but from a developer standpoint it can be useful.

Yes, but a consumer device should always be designed with the best experience for the end user and to cut down on customer support incidents by better product design. Still seems like an unneeded complexity. How many times have you heard advice on this forum that says, "Make sure that Mode 3/4 is selected." I wonder what the default mode is. If it isn't Mode 3 then  #-o
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 12:31:55 PM »

Yes, but a consumer device should always be designed with the best experience for the end user and to cut down on customer support incidents by better product design. Still seems like an unneeded complexity. How many times have you heard advice on this forum that says, "Make sure that Mode 3/4 is selected." I wonder what the default mode is. If it isn't Mode 3 then  #-o

Well, gee.  I know of one that specifies mode 4.  But what would I know?

:roll:

Offline weedon farms

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »
Having the same problem after a power outage, uninstalled the PC connect program, powered off the PC, Downloaded the currant version, installed as it should have but display still won't connect.
When you go to the launch the program it starts to launch then nothing happens.
I installed the software on another PC, connected the display and it works as it should.
Any ideas. PC is running windows 10 and program was working great for 2+ months till the power problem.
Was trying to see if the firewall was blocking it but I can't get it to run to check settings.
Tried it as admin and also using the compatibility, still nothing.
Thank's in advance for any help

Offline Batfinks

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »
I just had and fixed this problem.  I don't know if it helped or not, but I removed and reloaded the AcuRite PC Connect.  After I did that, it would still not run.  I had to go to the Acurite directory (on my pc it is  C:\Program Files (x86)\AcuRite) and run "TempInitialConfig.exe" and after that PC connect started up the way it should. 

Hopefully if it happens to me again, I will find this post and remember how to fix it!

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 11:31:06 PM »
Yeah sounds like even though it was uninstalled using the installer package or windows remove from control panel, something was left behind.

Batfinks seems to have found a solution but if that doesn't work you can download revo uninstaller free version and let it be aggressive in removing all the pc connect files, and settings then cold boot and install again.

If that works run revo uninstaller again and use it to remove its own program so if you need it again, the free version will work, otherwise you get a nag block popup saying your trial has expired buy here. :)
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline OrlandoAlex

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »
I just had and fixed this problem.  I don't know if it helped or not, but I removed and reloaded the AcuRite PC Connect.  After I did that, it would still not run.  I had to go to the Acurite directory (on my pc it is  C:\Program Files (x86)\AcuRite) and run "TempInitialConfig.exe" and after that PC connect started up the way it should. 

Hopefully if it happens to me again, I will find this post and remember how to fix it!

I signed up for an account just to thank you and tell you manually running that .exe fixed it for me, and I was going nuts trying to solve this. Thank you so much. To help with search results for others in the future, I'm adding this description of what happened to me:

My AcuRite PC Connect software spontaneously crashed or closed three weeks ago. When I reopened it, I briefly saw an error message in red letters at the top left of the normal AcuRite PC Connect window: "AcuRite display console not detected" and then it closed the window and the program was no longer running. I wasn't sure if it was a legitimate error or a crash, but either way, it wasn't staying open for more than a second. AcuRite PC Connect would open then immediately close.

I thought I was having a USB issue, so tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, disconnecting power, reconnecting power, changing USB ports, installing updates for Windows 10 .NET framework, nothing worked. I uninstalled and erased the software and reinstalled it, also didn't fix the problem. Then I found this forum and found your post about manually starting the TempInitialConfig.exe program, tried it, and bam, it's fixed.

Offline Batfinks

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2022, 05:39:15 PM »
I have since had it happen a couple of more times.  I found that there is no need to uninstall Accurite, just run "TempInitialConfig.exe" and it gets fixed.