Author Topic: WeatherSTEM Stations now showing up on MADIS  (Read 829 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
WeatherSTEM Stations now showing up on MADIS
« on: September 11, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »
Looks like on August 7th, 2019 WeatherSTEM flipped a switch and now their stations are showing up on CWOP MADIS.
I've only checked my area and every WeatherSTEM around me started on August 7th, 2019.

These WeatherSTEM stations have a different station ID numbering. They all start with 4 digits and then end with the letter "W".

They don't show up as neighbor stations unless you click in Gladstone to do neighbor station comparisons. (click on a graph to get there). They do show up on MADIS Surface Map and MesoWest.

This is potentially good news. WeatherSTEM stations tend to be Davis VP2 stations. This could improve the CWOP network so that stations gain more neighbors especially in sparse areas which has been a contributor to bad Gladstonefamily analysis. But it could also harm you if these WeatherSTEM stations are not calibrated or have bad humidity sensor <insert sound: tun tun tun!!!>.

The month of August and now September has been terrible for my CWOP. I've lost 3 good Davis neighbors due to bad humidity sensors. Then a Peet Bros with the same issue. They ended up giving me the dreaded Red X.  In all but one cases I've been able to contact the owner. And now I've discovered that a neighbor WeatherSTEM station also has a bad humidity sensor. I had already been dealing with this school with the bad WeatherSTEM station but they are dragging their feet. Finally today I was able to get a hold of a person in charge. I think I should just have contacted WeatherSTEM directly now that I realize how WeatherSTEM works. I thought the school needed to come up with the funding for maintenance...turns out no....at least it seems that way.

Well there you have it. Look out for your new WeatherSTEM neighbor stations. It could be a blessing or not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:46:48 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WeatherSTEM Stations now showing up on CWOP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
Reminder....if you are publishing data to CWOP you affect your neighbors. It is the polite thing to do, that you take your station down if you knowingly have a bad sensor (stop uploading to CWOP). That is just proper etiquette.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:45:04 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline quailvalleywx

Re: WeatherStem Stations now showing up on CWOP
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the info.  No WeatherSTEM additions in my adjacent list for now.  Thanks for the data integrity reminder too.  I need to evict that dang spider living in my WS1400 radiation shield.  When it walks on the humidity sensor it drops the value about 15% (ie. today around 2PM CST).  Seems to stay there a while (less than 2 hours) and move on.  Another thing on the todo list... 
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
Update on WeatherSTEM....

WeatherSTEM is not publishing data to CWOP. What is happening is that MesoWest decided to pickup WeatherSTEM data directly. After MesoWest has the WeatherSTEM data they then send it to MADIS. Therefore WeatherSTEM shows up on NOAA NWS and other places that get MADIS data. Via MADIS then you can then see the data on many places like Gladstonefamily.net/site/ and Windy.com....etc. For some idea of the places that this data makes it to see the following:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35089.0

The execption to that list would be the CWOP APRS network sites like; FineU, aprs.fi, and aprsdirect.com.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 05:02:04 PM »
A bit more about WeatherSTEM. Their headquarters is in Tallahassee, Florida. They have about 400 stations of which about 300 are in Florida. The majority that are not in Florida are mostly on the East cost. Here is a partial map to get an idea. If you don't have a WeatherSTEM now you know why. But they are expanding.

Every square with a logo is a station. Florida is like totally covered (populated areas).
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:42:11 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Reminder....if you are publishing data to CWOP you affect your neighbors. It is the polite thing to do, that you take your station down if you knowingly have a bad sensor (stop uploading to CWOP). That is just proper etiquette.

This should be handled by CWOP for data validity and accuracy.. Any sensors that fall out of the curve should be excluded...

CAVEAT:  sometimes those numbers are off but still fall within the "acceptable' range of allowance that even these pull your numbers off....

Jim

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
This should be handled by CWOP for data validity and accuracy.. Any sensors that fall out of the curve should be excluded...

What do you mean by "should"?
Is it should as in should be done but isn't currently being done by CWOP and this is an effort they should improve?
Or is it should as in should be done as in it is currently occurring and therefore anyone can upload any bad data and it will be caught so it should not be a concern for individuals?

I know what is happening. I'm just trying to understand your words as they could be interpreted either way.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:38:57 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole