Author Topic: Wifi Logger 1  (Read 1412 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Wifi Logger 1
« on: October 01, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »
Can't access via the IP address. It has worked fine for 3 years. Nothing has changed.
Only found out today because I download WL and Cumulus once a week. Neither program would connect. Worked fine last week.
It is still uploading to several sites with no issues. The last firmware was 2.38.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Wifi Logger 1
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 07:36:27 PM »
Have you restarted your modem/router ? Is the WLogger on a fixed IP address? Can you verify the IP address using a wireless scanning app ? If it's uploading then it is connected but not at the IP you think it is ... maybe ?

I have mine on a fixed IP address because of CenturyLink/Brightspeed modems are flakey remanned junk. I have been through 3 in the past year. I set the IP at the WLogger so I can swap modems quickly.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 05:13:20 AM »
Thank you. [tup]
Never even thought of checking to see if it changed. Sure enough it did. Comcast has an app that shows that info.
Changed the numbers in WL and Cumulus and we are good to go.  \:D/

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 09:38:08 AM »
Glad it's now working. However to prevent it from happening again you might want to set a fixed IP in the logger. I had the same happen once and went to a fixed IP to prevent it.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:15:37 AM »
How do you set a fixed IP?
I went to Network Info under set up but it only shows the information. Don't see how to change it.
Same with the Wifi and System tabs.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »
In the Wifi setup click on the Advanced Button. Then change the DHCP in the drop down to Static IP. Then set up the rest. Most routers use the 192.168.xxx.xxx format. Since you already know the IP of the WifiLogger you can use that. The Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS are usually the same as shown. See the attached pic.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 03:37:39 PM »
IP is now static.
Thanks for your help Garth.

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 05:11:43 PM »
To muddy the subject....you say you made it 3 years before this happened....you may well make it another 3 years without a problem.

But...you told the WFL what address you want it to have, but the router assigns that, not an attached device.  The only reason this is working is that you used the IP address the router has currently assigned to the WFL.  If after the next time the router reboots (Comcast can cause this as well as you), the router gives another device that IP your WFL will not reconnect.

My advice is to set up an address reservation in your router using the WFL's MAC address.  That way the ROUTER will always give the same address to the WFL after any reboot.  You can put the same address in the WFL as static, or just set it to DHCP - either way will work.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS via 12v Case Fan Mod

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 05:38:08 PM »
Interesting.
Going to school with this IP address stuff.
I do have a question. Even with a wrong IP address the WFL was still online updating to other sites.
How can that happen with the wrong address?
And by the way thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 05:42:07 PM by ocala »

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 05:55:26 PM »
I do have a question. Even with a wrong IP address the WFL was still online updating to other sites.
How can that happen with the wrong address?

That is a very good question.  My best guess is that it was a router quirk.  They are notorious for exhibiting odd behavior which a reboot normally corrects.  Thus, why the first step in troubleshooting isn't actually trying to find out what is wrong, but to reboot the router and hope all is good afterwards :)

FWIW, I usually reboot my modem as well when I reboot the router just for good measure.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS via 12v Case Fan Mod

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 08:11:56 PM »
I have had to reboot my CenturyLink Zyzel modem multiple times in the past (until they gave me a 4th one that works) and with my WiFiLogger with a fixed IP never had a conflict. Yes setting the Mac address is another way, the problem occurs when in my case I was changing modems every couple of months due to the remanned junk modems having one problem or another. I since have the new Zyzel 4000 but the WiFi is shut off and the modem feeds a dLink multiband wireless router. My coverage is better and even if the modem is rebooted or DSL drops everything wireless maintains connection. I never have had an IP conflict.