Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 Anemometer max wind withstand  (Read 518 times)

Offline rhodesengr

Vantage Pro2 Anemometer max wind withstand
« on: February 28, 2022, 02:34:29 PM »
People are asking me what level of wind the anemometer can withstand. I don't see such a rating in the specifications. I see the display range of the console is given and some numbers for decrease in displayable wind for long cables but I don't see a mechanical rating. Is there one?

Offline cpufrost

Re: Vantage Pro2 Anemometer max wind withstand
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:23:21 AM »
Pretty sure it's wind tunnel tested to 200 mph...

Be advised, however, when winds gust to even HALF of that you run the risk of losing the sensors due to the mount structurally failing OR sensor damage from debris strike.

On top of a 145 meter cell tower, OTOH, it's quite clear up there and some serious gusts can be recorded. ;-)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 11:43:02 AM »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline KathyLauren

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 12:37:18 PM »
The maximum wind will decrease with age. 

My old AAG anemometer's plastic gradually deteriorated under UV-rich sunlight.  I had no idea, since it was up at the top of the mast.  Finally, centrifugal force in a strong windstorm blew it to smithereens.  I assumed it had been hit by debris.  It wasn't until I lowered the mast to remove the remaining bits that I discovered how brittle and fragile it was.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 01:12:07 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess we will see over the summer and into the fall as the rain, lightning, and hurricane seasons set in. My location was a direct hit by Nora last Fall. The mast the station is mounted on was already there as it supports a lightning rod. The mast  survived Nora as far as I know.  I am assuming the anemometer will need to be replaced periodically. I don't know that the lightning rod has ever been hit but that area of Mexico gets tons of lightning especially at night during the summer. I think EMI from a current pulse through the ground wire in the mast and/or concussive force from the shock-wave overpressure (thunder) from a close strike might be the most probable failure scenarios. Be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

anything