Author Topic: Bad solar panel in 5 in 1 Pro +  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Bad solar panel in 5 in 1 Pro +
« on: October 21, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »
I took my CT unit down this weekend to change the batteries. Amazon Basic AA's lasted two years and two months. Not bad!

I've noticed that my station gets a slight temp spike in the morning when the sun hits it, then settles back down. Found out that one of the solar panels isn't working.

How do you remove that part of the unit? I was able to get the part with the wind cups and panels off the body, but couldn't dissemble it from there. Not sure what was holding it together?

Edit: It's a Pro + unit with two solar panels.

Open to any tips or pics!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:45:53 PM by Glenn »
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: Bad solar panel in 5 in 1 Pro +
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:23:06 AM »
https://www.acurite.com/media/manuals/06003RM-5N1DSSA-instructions.pdf

https://www.acurite.com/pro-plus-upgrade-for-5-in-1-weather-sensor.html

Thanks for posting those! I was actually able to get the unit separated as listed in the directions. I was looking for some guidance on how to take the unit apart from there, getting access to the backside of the panels and the motor that powers the fan.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »
Anyone know how to get the panels off of the unit or remove the shaft that holds the wind cups?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
Vice grips on the top of the shaft. Then wiggle the magnet bar back and forth as you pull it off while pulling the vice grip. It's not easy. Maybe put some spray on it like WD-40 first to help loosen the magnet bar. The wires for the solar panel are soldered to a regulator board. The solar panel is just glued to the plastic wind topper portion of the outer fan/wind part. You just carefully pry them off with a small flat tool.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
Vice grips on the top of the shaft. Then wiggle the magnet bar back and forth as you pull it off while pulling the vice grip. It's not easy. Maybe put some spray on it like WD-40 first to help loosen the magnet bar. The wires for the solar panel are soldered to a regulator board. The solar panel is just glued to the plastic wind topper portion of the outer fan/wind part. You just carefully pry them off with a small flat tool.

This is very helpful! Thanks so much for posting this.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »

This is very helpful! Thanks so much for posting this.

No prob. Hope you figure out the issues. We can help if you are not sure.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:03:34 PM »
Me too! It may not get resolved until Spring, but I'll get there eventually.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster

Offline rct

• W2RCT
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
If you need a replacement fan motor, these will work nicely...

https://www.amazon.com/Topoox-1730RPM-Electric-Turbine-Generator/dp/B07Q44YYKG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Topoox+6+Pack+DC+3V+1730RPM+Mini+Electric+Motor&qid=1574963418&sr=8-1

Thanks for this. How recently did you order those?

(They may have changed. Most popular review.  1 star reviews are up to 28%.)

My company purchased 2 lots of these motors. The first was a test lot of 6 motors. They worked for our classroom windmill application beautifully! They required low RPM to light an LED. We then ordered 180 additional motors. The part number was the same as the first lot, and they looked the same on the outside, but the motors functioned completely differently. They were high RPM motors with only 2 ohm resistance, vs the 55 ohm low RPM motors that we needed. We returned the 180 motors to Amazon for a refund and received an apology from Topoox. We are still looking for motors like the first lot, but Topoox has not been responsive. Don’t buy these motors since as of a few weeks ago they did not match the product description.

$8 for 6 motors isn't a big risk, but could chew up some time. Is resistance the best way to test before installing?

Any recommendations for testing the motors/panels, especially when you don't have a lot of good sunlight?

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 03:49:27 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't a replacement 5-1 pro solar top come with a new fan ? That way you get new solar panels and also the new fan .  https://www.acurite.com/pro-plus-upgrade-for-5-in-1-weather-sensor.html

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
If you need a replacement fan motor, these will work nicely...

https://www.amazon.com/Topoox-1730RPM-Electric-Turbine-Generator/dp/B07Q44YYKG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Topoox+6+Pack+DC+3V+1730RPM+Mini+Electric+Motor&qid=1574963418&sr=8-1

Thanks for this. How recently did you order those?

(They may have changed. Most popular review.  1 star reviews are up to 28%.)

My company purchased 2 lots of these motors. The first was a test lot of 6 motors. They worked for our classroom windmill application beautifully! They required low RPM to light an LED. We then ordered 180 additional motors. The part number was the same as the first lot, and they looked the same on the outside, but the motors functioned completely differently. They were high RPM motors with only 2 ohm resistance, vs the 55 ohm low RPM motors that we needed. We returned the 180 motors to Amazon for a refund and received an apology from Topoox. We are still looking for motors like the first lot, but Topoox has not been responsive. Don’t buy these motors since as of a few weeks ago they did not match the product description.

$8 for 6 motors isn't a big risk, but could chew up some time. Is resistance the best way to test before installing?

Any recommendations for testing the motors/panels, especially when you don't have a lot of good sunlight?

I didn't order them. I just saw that they would fit. How long they last who knows.

Offline AlexBarkat

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 09:26:37 PM »
It's great to hear that your Amazon Basic AA's lasted so long. As for your faulty solar panel, I'm sorry to hear that. Removing that part of the unit can be a bit tricky, but I'm sure with some tips and tricks, you'll be able to get it sorted. Have you tried looking for any online guides or videos that might help?

Offline RaviRavindran

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 09:36:06 PM »
Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I found it interesting to join. It can be frustrating when things don't work as they should. As for removing that part of the unit, have you tried checking the manufacturer's manual or website? They might have specific instructions on how to disassemble it. Additionally, if you're still having trouble removing the faulty solar panel or need more information on solar panel systems, you might want to consider reaching out to the representatives of https://yenex.com. They specialize in distributed energy systems, including solar panel systems, and may be able to provide you with some helpful advice or guidance.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 07:31:13 PM by RaviRavindran »