Author Topic: IP Status  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
IP Status
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:45:00 AM »
Hi All,

I recently had to change out my modem/router to an updated one from my ISP. Now my red system has not been able to pick up an IP from the router.  My question is how can I have my red system to pick up a new IP address from my current router?

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome to solve this issue for me.

Aloha,

--Stan Y.
  Maui, Hawaii

Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: IP Status
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
Hi All,

I recently had to change out my modem/router to an updated one from my ISP. Now my red system has not been able to pick up an IP from the router.  My question is how can I have my red system to pick up a new IP address from my current router?

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome to solve this issue for me.

Aloha,

--Stan Y.
 Maui, Hawaii

Stan,

I saved the original instructions for the RED. This is from them on page 66, under 5.0 Operating Instructions:

3. Connect the controller to a local area network using DHCP (or static IP 192.168.1.235) and use
a web browser to open the web interface of the controller. There you can adjust the lightning
detector, see Section 5.2.
You find the IP address of the controller at the Display.

I just tried the 192.168.1.235 address, but I couldn't reach the RED. I do have a fixed IP, maybe it only is accessible via the backup IP address when DHCP is used.

You could try scanning with something like AngryIP. On both my RED and Blue controllers, the MAC addresses start with 70:B1:xx:xx:xx:xx.

You might try a direct connection to a laptop without the router. You will need to change the fixed IP of the laptop to something in the 192.168.1.x range. Then try the 192.168.1.235 address. Good luck I hope that you are able to access it.

As a last resort, there is always this:

5.2.3 Buttons
Pushing the Black Reset Button results in a hardware reset of the CPU. It is independent from the
firmware and works always. The Blue User Button has several functions, especially in combination
with the LCD. It can also be used to restore the settings to default values, by pushing both buttons
together, release the reset button and wait for several seconds until a long beep occurs.
The other
functions depend on the installed firmware and might be extended in future versions. Refer to the
guide in the controllers web-interface for latest information.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:38 PM »
Thanks Greg for your input.

My current modem/router is not a standard router as it uses IP 192.168.200.xxx so I don't know if the last resort will work as I have tried the above ones and cannot get into the system.

If I use the last resort, will I loose all of the setting that I have on the system? Have not tried that yet.

If the default set for the red system is not DHCP'ed then I may have an issue with my connection with this to the router.  It seems that this might be the case that I have set before. The IP that I have for it is set at 192.168.1.78 and my current router is not able to see it. Maybe there might be a setting on the router to see this IP.  I had issue with some port forwarding with this router with my Web Cam.  But was able to resolve that issue.

Thanks for your suggestions and hope others might be able to solve this for me.

My router is a ZTXEL XMG3563-B10 from my ISP telcomm provider.

Also Greg, can you send me your red instructions as I seem to misplaced mine or where would I be able to find one on the Blitzortung site? Can you PM me for my email address?  Thanks.

Aloha,

--Stan Y.
  Maui, Hawaii
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:45:08 PM by Silversword »

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
I would recommend making a direct connection to a PC or laptop and reconfigure that computer to a fixed IP address in the 192.168.1. x range. Then you should be able to access the RED at 192.168.1.78. There you should be able to change to either DHCP or an IP in the 192.168.200.x range.

If the computer is older, it might not have an auto-sensing Ethernet port, which would require a cross-over RJ-45 coupler/cable. I don't know whether the RED's Ethernet port is auto or not. If it is, you don't need the X-over.

Yes, you would lose all of your settings if you do the hard reset. I'll send you a PM.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »
Hi All,

Got my Red system up and running again on the Internet.  Thanks to Greg for his inputs that got me thinking.  The bottom line is, got it to where the new modem/router got to see it and it  is now on my network and out into the Internet.

Thanks Greg again for sticking with me on this issue.

Have a good and safe Holiday Season to all and stay healthy.

Aloha.

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro