Author Topic: CWOP connecting problem  (Read 890 times)

Offline mlail

CWOP connecting problem
« on: December 14, 2020, 02:04:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

My question is about how to get my station talking in CWOP. My PC died and I put in a replacement and was configuring the CWOP section with my HAM call sign KK4OHF. I cannot get my info to the server and figure its something simple. Here is what I have tried.

I entered the call sign instead of CWOP ID. I use PASSWORD-1 as the password. I changed the server to rotate.aprs.net using port 14580.
CWOP is enabled including the FTP main.
I have my coordinates and altitude in.
I have a check in the box that says I am not using a CWOP ID.
I even tried emailing that guy to get a password for HAM.s but the email comes back as not found.
When I check to see my data, there is nothing for 27 days.

What do I have wrong or am missing?

Thanks,
Marshall

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: CWOP connecting problem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
You should tell us more about your station as there are a lot of things to configure and it differs by what you have.

- What brand and model station?
- What logger if any?
- What software or means of sending data to CWOP are you using?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »
Well I did some searching and I see that you are using Weather-Display software and you have a Davis station of some sort. We still need more details.

The status of your CWOP account is Inactive Member. I guess you've not sent data in a while. Once you resume sending data you'll need to send an email to support-cwop at noaa to get activated....no need to do that yet until you are successfully uploading to FindU.

Since you are a ham you have the option of using the ham CWOP servers of rotate.aprs.net with your password. The -1 for password only works on the non-ham servers which is cwop.aprs.net and you have that option too. The proper ID to use to upload to CWOP in either case is your ham ID KK4OHF. You will still show up in MADIS and Mesowest and Gladstonefamily...etc as C2096. In aprs.fi or aprsdirect.com you'll show up as KK4OHF.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:37:57 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline mlail

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »
Well I did some searching and I see that you are using Weather-Display software and you have a Davis station of some sort. We still need more details.

The status of your CWOP account is Inactive Member. I guess you've not sent data in a while. Once you resume sending data you'll need to send an email to support-cwop at noaa to get activated....no need to do that yet until you are successfully uploading to FindU.

Since you are a ham you have the option of using the ham CWOP servers of rotate.aprs.net with your password. The -1 for password only works on the non-ham servers which is cwop.aprs.net and you have that option too. The proper ID to use to upload to CWOP in either case is your ham ID KK4OHF. You will still show up in MADIS and Mesowest and Gladstonefamily...etc as C2096. In aprs.fi or aprsdirect.com you'll show up as KK4OHF.

I have a VP2 plus with a serial data logger going to this laptop. Now the laptop is a Dell E5500 using windows 7. It was on a E6400 with Win10 but started locking up...
What else would you like to know?

As far as the HAM password, how does one go about getting one?

Offline mlail

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 04:50:41 PM »
You should tell us more about your station as there are a lot of things to configure and it differs by what you have.

- What brand and model station?
- What logger if any?
- What software or means of sending data to CWOP are you using?

Vantage Pro 2 plus
Serial logger
Using Weather Display - latest edition on Windows.

Offline mlail

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
So I found these instructions for anyone going down the same path.

The APRS passcode or validation code is a 15 BIT number based on your call sign. Google is your friend.
Right or wrong it led me to http://n5dux.com/ham/aprs-passcode/
I ran my call sign through it and it gave me a password to use.

I've emailed support-CWOP at NOAA to have my account activated since it's been a while.

Here is crossing my fingers and wait on the reply from NOAA.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 05:31:27 PM »
I would ask in the Davis section of this forum for advice regarding your laptop with Windows 10 and the serial logger issue. Someone might have a recommendation. You can also try the Weather-Display forum:
https://www.weather-watch.com/

Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 09:03:44 AM »
So I found these instructions for anyone going down the same path.

The APRS passcode or validation code is a 15 BIT number based on your call sign. Google is your friend.
Right or wrong it led me to http://n5dux.com/ham/aprs-passcode/
I ran my call sign through it and it gave me a password to use.

I've emailed support-CWOP at NOAA to have my account activated since it's been a while.

Here is crossing my fingers and wait on the reply from NOAA.

I used a different generator which is a program that runs on the PC as opposed to a web site. Unfortunately, the link to this site no longer works, so I won't post it here. The N5DUX.com link generated the same number as my program, so it is good.

A Ham friend emailed NWS to get his account set up so he can look at QC and show up on MADIS. It has been several weeks and he has tried contacting them to see what is happening, with no luck.

As long as you are posting data it does show up on CWOP, though. Just no QC or MADIS feed.

73, Greg KE8DAF

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything