Author Topic: Looks like it's time to take in my inner cylinder  (Read 1082 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Looks like it's time to take in my inner cylinder
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »
This is my first autumn with my Cocorahs gauge (installed Dec 31).  Gosh, I thought I could leave the inner cylinder outside until at least the first of November.  Today I registered .02" of precipitation, and fortunately it was only partially frozen.  I don't think it cracked the cylinder, but I got lucky.  My outer chamber will have to catch the flurries we are currently having alone.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Looks like it's time to take in my inner cylinder
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
I took mine out after yesterday's observation since they were forecasting accumulating snow, and we had a dusting the previous night.
I placed my snowboard as well. I am glad that I did, since we got 1.5", maybe more that melted before I got outside.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
Also took out the inner cylinder this morning.  Most of the precipitation was very wet snow still in the funnel when I read it, but likely captured most if not all precipitation.  This is way too early...

Paul

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
Just returned home from four week fishing trip and found the inner cylinder intact with .46" of water in it.  I think I dodged a bullet with the unusually warm and sunny weather we have had this fall.  Even though the overnight lows were in the low 30s and upper 20s the water evidently never froze.

After taking my daily reading this morning, I removed the funnel and inner cylinder for the winter.  They are predicting 5-10 inches of snow above 10000 feet, so I am guessing I will at least get some measurable snow out of the system.  Just ordered my snow stake from WYW and putting snow board out today.  Also need to turn VP2 rain collector heater on tonight.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
I took mine out after yesterday's observation since they were forecasting accumulating snow, and we had a dusting the previous night.
I placed my snowboard as well. I am glad that I did, since we got 1.5", maybe more that melted before I got outside.

Greg H.

Of course, now the forecast is for temperatures well above freezing and rain. I guess that this was premature for my location, although we did get an inch & ½ of snow the other day...

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything