Author Topic: Problem installing Weatherlink on Windows 10 laptop  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Plainwind

Problem installing Weatherlink on Windows 10 laptop
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
I am still happily using Weatherlink 4.04 with my WMII and do not wish (= cannot afford) to upgrade.
I am successfully running the Weatherlink software on a PC running Windows 10 but am having problems installing on my new laptop also running Windows 10.  When trying to run the setup.exe file to install the software, Windows 10 gives the message "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher".

The Windows 10 build numbers on my PC and laptop are identical.

Have Googled this and tried all the suggested remedies to no avail.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Problem installing Weatherlink on Windows 10 laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »
I'm not sure but I think you have to have an original version of WL installed in order to install a new one.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
This is a pretty obscure (in the sense of rare) scenario. Presumably you're expecting to use a 7862 serial logger with WL404. I wonder if 404 looks for the presence of a serial port  and obviously can't find one on a laptop?

But 404 is so ancient now that there could well be some other hardware or software incompatibility with a laptop running Win10. You might not want to, but I suspect that updating to a newly-purchased copy of WL603 or 604 may be required. Even then there might some quirks getting it installed and working, but it should be possible.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Plainwind

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
Thanks, johnd.
I agree, WL4.04 is ancient, but is still working very well with my WMII!

I have two computers, a desktop PC and a laptop. The odd thing is, even though both computers are running Windows 10 and have the same build number, I can successfully install and run WL on the desktop PC, but can't even get the setup.exe file on the installation disc to run on the laptop.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
I have two computers, a desktop PC and a laptop. The odd thing is, even though both computers are running Windows 10 and have the same build number, I can successfully install and run WL on the desktop PC, but can't even get the setup.exe file on the installation disc to run on the laptop.

I do understand, but clearly there's some difference in configuration between desktop & laptop. It may be the same Window version, but different components of Windows are likely to have installed based on the differences in hardware. But exactly what is tricky to know. Is one installed as 32-bit and one as 64-bit for instance?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Plainwind

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
Thanks johnd
I think you've identified the problem.
On closer inspection, the PC is running 32 bit Win10 and the laptop is running 64 bit Win10.
Looks like WL404 isn't compatible with the 64 bit OS.
Will try to find a workaround.

anything