Author Topic: A place for pictures  (Read 4233 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
A place for pictures
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »
Would it be possible to make a board where people can post their pictures, and it could be ignored?  That way all the storm pictures and airplane pictures, etc could be in one place and ignored if desired.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: A place for pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
We already do have a Weather Photography board at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=37.0 -- is that what you mean?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
I'm wondering if he is referring to not displaying pictures in messages possibly for the sake of download speed(?). I thought one could modify one's settings not to show images but cannot find that option, only the ability to turn off avatars and signatures in posts.
Bill

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »
I'm wondering if he is referring to not displaying pictures in messages possibly for the sake of download speed(?). I thought one could modify one's settings not to show images but cannot find that option, only the ability to turn off avatars and signatures in posts.

Yes, I guess I could have said it better.  At 26.4 kbs, the page takes a while to load with a lot of pictures.  99% of the time, I look at the Recent Posts, which includes all the threads that are not ignored.

But it was just a thought.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
Yes, you can turn off display of avatars and signatures in your profile.

If folks use the [img]http://.....[/img] to embed the image in the post, I don't think there's an option in your profile to turn that off.  Attachments of images/stuff to posts is limited to 256kb max, and only thumbnails show of attached images.

Sorry there's no per-user setting to disallow display of img tags :(

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
Look into a program called Gallery.  It's free and Open Source.  It requires an SQL database and PHP, but if you have this board, you already have that.  I believe there is some integration between Gallery and SMF also.  It would be a separate installation and users could each have their own album where they could upload and manage pictures.  In posts on this board, they could provide links to their album when they post pictures they want to show others.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Most modern browsers have an option to disable displaying images for those on low or limited BW connections.  I know Opera and SeaMonkey do.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:45:23 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:40:26 AM »
..Most modern browsers have an option to disable displaying images for those on low or limited BW connections.  I know Opera and SeaMonkey do.

Firefox does too.  Also you can filter which website images load and which do not.  Seems like when I was on 26K dialup I somehow had IE set to only load images when I clicked on a little logo that appeared in their place.  Don't remember now how I set that up.  
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »
Another "best practice" would be if the OP could put "pictures" "pix" "high res" or something in subject line. Then Greg et al dial-ups could avoid clicking if need be.

But then again sometimes a topic may need a picture in mid posting and that would not be reflected in subject.

I guess if not a "picture" topic area or disclaimed in subject, trying to keep screen caps, and other pix in the low couple of hundred KB's is a good compromise.  (my dad has even learned how to "save as" and resize so he now emails 300-400 KB pictures instead of the raw 3meg 2600*2100 images)

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:06:11 AM »
Going that route, I try to keep pictures below 75K when possible.

But then again Gallery produces thumbnails that can be inserted in posts that link to the full image.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
..Most modern browsers have an option to disable displaying images for those on low or limited BW connections.  I know Opera and SeaMonkey do.

Firefox does too.  Also you can filter which website images load and which do not.  Seems like when I was on 26K dialup I somehow had IE set to only load images when I clicked on a little logo that appeared in their place.  Don't remember now how I set that up.  

In Firefox>Tools>Options>Content>Load Images Automatically, I have some options there and it is much better now.  Thanks all!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA