Author Topic: Ws-2902  (Read 253 times)

Offline wd68

Ws-2902
« on: July 29, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »
After beating this pos, I got it to start working, for how long i don't know. One thing i do need to know is how do i update the firmware from 3.0.3 to new 4.0.2 ? I read it in the book but the asnet won't let me update. I have the feeling that that could be a part of the problem with this station.
 Another thing, Even though i had done this part before to get the station to connect I didn't 't have a signal icon above the time. I unplugged and took batterys out. Almost thru it out the door in the trash. It gave me all the readings from outside to my display but that connect icon would not show. With it disconnect and connecting all the time I thought it had died. Today I tried again. It connected and with the batterys and external power plugged  in it started flashing. I did the connect tion but and so far it is connected. Now for how long...is another story. When I was looking around today, I found out the newest firmware was 4.0.2. But I tried it several times but it shows 3.0.3! Cannot get it to upgrade. Any ideas?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ws-2902
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
Unfortunately you can't upgrade the original WS-2902 to firmware 4.x.x. You are stuck on on 3.x.x and probably 3.0.3 forever as it hasn't been updated in a very long time so that isn't a good sign. At one point Ambient allowed the original WS-2902 to get updated to 4.x.x firmware. Ambient removed the ability to do this quite some time ago. The reason they removed this ability is because it was a very sensitive process that sometimes resulted in a bricked station and that was causing warranty replacement issues. There really is no way around this.

The good news is that the update of the firmware was really only something that is done to the display console itself. Nothing changes with the outdoor sensor array. The reason this is good news is because if you want to upgrade your display console then you can get the newer and better WS-2000 display console (just the display console) and it will automatically pick up your outdoor sensor array. Essentially you can just by getting the new display console end up with a WS-2000 that supports all the new extra sensors, like lightning, water leak, soil moisture, PM2.5 air quaility...etc.

If a nicer display doesn't fancy you, but you want some extra features with a much lower investment upgrade cost then you could get the Ecowitt GW1000 and then this becomes your console and it will also support the extra sensors and it will also allow you to easily expand your station to support a bunch of 3rd party software; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWX and others. Some of these others are FOSHKplugin, and Personal Weather Tablet app, GW1000live and probably even more and new future ones for sure.

Or you could get both the WS-2000 and the GW1000.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Just to reiterate what galfert said. The GW1000 is awesome, but it is not a display. Just in case there was any confusion.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline wd68

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
 I have been looking at that new Monitor for the 2000 system. I wanted the 5000 system but they are still out or back ordered. Another question is this system is 3 years old. In Texas which is like Arizona I am concerned with all that plastic up on the pole, so, wouldn't it be better to just go with the 2000 system? Like i said, i wonder how long this time will it run. So.. I guess i will be getting a new station. Thanks for the help. One more thing i need to do is find out what happened to my sign to Cwops. I can't find my id or my password to get in. Not sure what happened there.

anything