Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149813 times)

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #1050 on: June 17, 2019, 05:28:02 PM »
Just a note, the Dover feed, listed as dover is actually streaming wng704 from Hibernia park PA, as of right now.  I'm surprised we haven't gotten any feeds from Jessup Georgia or Cheyenne Wyoming.  Scottsbluff Nebraska.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1051 on: June 20, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Hey all.
I wanted to propose something and see what everyone thought.
This inspiration of sorts came to me from one of the web sdr's that's on websdr.org
NOAA Weather radio web sdr's?  Here's what made me think about that.
I know that we obviously have the regular streams, but this would sorta serve as a backup for those who have their streams drop, and yet another way also to listen to NOAA Weather Radio.  This also gives for another idea.
If someone doesn't live in a very good area or have very good coverage, or they want to provide yet another stream of weather radio, rather than piggybacking off of a stream, they could then use the web based sdr, and set it to the NWR Frequency of their choice, then allow them to stream that.
I've thought about, if my connection will play nice enough thanks to the NA5B SWR Which has Washington DC Coverage, adding yet another stream to the list, helping to keep coverage going.
I've not found any really other web sdr's that do that with NOAA Weather radio, hence the reason I suggested it.
Yall can surely let me know what you think here or just send me a private email to kc0usm@gmail.com
Thanks
Brandon

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1052 on: July 04, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
To follow up on what I said.  Here are a few of the sdr's we could use.
sdr sharp and their maps.  If you look at the sdr sharp page you'll see that they commonly have a variety of different radios.
www.websdr.org
they have already got one person who's sdr connection connects and you hear KHB36
Global tuners, and sdr.hu
THis will allow us to expand NOAA Weather Radio Listening online a great and tremendous deal.
I'm actually thinking about replacing using my mobile amateur radio rig as a streamer for NWR with hopefully an RTLSDR if I can get my hands on one, however sadly my finances do not permit me to get one.
I need to know what types of antenna connecters they work with.
but then also, if I have it set up on the right computer it'll be designated to work as the radio that streams.  So KZZ 52 if I get the right help and sdr will be streaming via sdr, which will mean we won't have dead zones during ham net time.
Brandon L Hennis
KC0USM
Accessibility tester and sight admin
O speaking of accessibility, Looks like the page is still accessible to screen readers.  We might add a thing in the Howto on noaaweatherradio.org for those who want to set up an sdr for weather radio use, or what I just suggested also.
By the way my suggestion also means that we'd get other weather broadcasts out there that wouldn't be normally available.  So say you live in a very populated area where you hear several NWR's, people can listen to a whole lote more than just the default ones you'd normally stream through icecast.
Let me again clear up, this doesn't eliminate icecast all together, in fact at all, but adds yet another option for listening to NOAA Weather Radio Broadcasts.
The delay is almost instantainious as well.
Would work well in times of severe weather when the servers are full.
Brandon

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #1053 on: July 10, 2019, 06:08:30 PM »
Has anyone else heard the strange message coming through our NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts?

https://lakehuronweather.org/wxradio.php

CW3699

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #1054 on: July 10, 2019, 06:30:00 PM »
Has anyone else heard the strange message coming through our NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts?
That is hilarious... somebody at Commerce Dept/NOAA/NWS  has lost the checklbook, ...

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #1055 on: July 10, 2019, 06:46:03 PM »
What the he!! is going on with them?  I'm getting blasted here with an unabashed stream of commercials interspersed into the stream. "This version is strictly for demonstration purposes only.  Please contact our sales support team to obtain a valid license."  "Your license has expired."

It looks like NOAA/NWS has allowed their VoiceText license to expire.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #1056 on: July 10, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »
Seems to be nationwide getting the strange messages here as well.  Do you think anyone at NOAA has listened to their feeds.
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #1057 on: July 10, 2019, 06:52:31 PM »
It’s nationwide..both SF stations have it too.

I called NWS Monterey and they are aware of the issue and said it was a nationwide problem they’re working on fixing it. I suggest someone use their credit card   :lol:  #-o
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #1058 on: July 10, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
It’s nationwide..both SF stations have it too.

I called NWS Monterey and they are aware of the issue and said it was a nationwide problem they’re working on fixing it. I suggest someone use their credit card   :lol: #-o
And from LMK (Louisville...)  (I'd sugested that a plastic preferring virus had eaten their credit card   :twisted: )....
"Hey Mike! It's a nationwide issue that's being addressed... unfortunately it's beyond our control here locally. No virus! :)
There is a fix that is trying to be implemented, so it should go away here soon. It's definitely annoying!
"

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1059 on: July 10, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
The problem is guys, and this is just from someone who's been using tts speech synthesizers for a long time, when you give up on old technology in terms of at least a backup, when these things happen, we unfortunately have to deal with them.  Personally they should've kept the crs computers around for backup so that if this happens, then that could've at least gone to them as a backup in case.  But now to address voicetext, I think that r speak may be buying out some of the voice text voices I am thinking, as on their demo pages, voice such as James and Kate are not part of the RSpeak demo.  I could be wrong, that info courtacy of my friend Jake.
But here's where using that type of tts has it's downfall.  I listened to the feeds in Arizona, indianna, north Carolina, Tennessee, and surrounding areas.  Of course they all got that notification, the reason being, because I think they had a limited license.  And after a certain amount of time, that license expires.
Well Voice text isn't very nice about it, it just threads nag messages into it at the end of every sentence.  I will say that's better than nothing at all.
But that's also why they should've bought more voices, so that if the license for one voice engine expired, then they could use another.
If there were running BMH on windows, they could do something very creative, and use even something as simple as Microsoft Xira, david, eva, or mark, as potential backup options, so that in any case, they would always have something that was flawlessly working.  Because right now at the current rate, if say they don't have a fix, then what.  They say they are low on funding, that puts a bit of a damper on it, "Lasting" If the license files keep doing that.
And there was a flood warning issued for a section of Indiana.  If something disasterous happens, the last thing we need is to get taunted with licenses errors.
I would that they might attempt maybe adding something like vocalizer tom to their lineup for use as a backup voice at some point.  Not the old speechify tom, but the new version who, to be honest, isn't as intrusive about license files.  If you get a license thankfully it sticks it doesn't expire as a result of some unknown reason from an update.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #1060 on: July 11, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »
Looks like they got it sorted out.

CW3699

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1061 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
Hey where is Cheboygan, MI Located?  I know where it is in Wisconsin, but in Michigan, sorry for any strange questions.  And I never did get any thoughts from anyone on regards to the SDR's.  And I do believe that the airspy servers, which run through the radio sharp utility, do support ltrsdr radios so if you have an rtlsdr radio you should be rightly compatible.  If anyone wants me to test their sdr from here for what I talked about a while back I'd be glad to.
I thought about getting one and then setting it up under windows.  But the only external Antenna I have are pl 259 cables so I don't know what antenna's they use.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1062 on: July 11, 2019, 11:16:19 PM »
Hey guys.
Almost in the nick of time, someone has got their SDR up and I have confirmed it's weather radio capable.  I'll list the frequencies and their primary reception points, listed on this sdr, and then tell you how to get where you can listen to it when it's available.
162.400 Asheville
162.425 rock hill
162.450 Linville Morganton
162.475 Charlotte spencer mountain
162.500 boon, ash county Jefferson
162.525 Charlotte Moorseville
And 162.550 Greenville south Carolina.
The feed is available through the sdr sharp plugin, go to the radio reference forum and look for live tunable recievers.  Airspy sdr stuff will come up.  To listen to them, you need a utility called radio sharp.
You can get radio sharp at https://airspy.com/?ddownload=3130
Here is a listing, direct from the website of what that contains.
• SDR# (SDRSharp) x86 rev 1702 – The best free SDR software for Airspy and RTL-SDR dongles!
• Airspy R2/Mini Calibration Tool
• ADS-B Spy rev 48 – High Performance ADS-B Decoder
• Spectrum Spy – Fast Sweeping SDR Spectrum Analyzer
• Astro Spy – Radio Astronomy Utility for Hydrogen Line Spectroscopy
• SPY Server for Windows – Multi-client SDR Server with Fast DDC
• RTL-SDR Dongle Installation Script.
I think this will expand the areas we could listen to weather radio wise.  K1GMM has a video I believe still up on youtube with some instructions on how to configure the recievers.
If you should need that.
The more broadcasts we make available, the more lives we save, Save a life!
Be weather Ready.
Glad to have KHB46 back online.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
O for those trying to get multiple listeners on their sdr feeds using the sdr servers, make sure in the INI config you set the value on the listeners to a number above 1.  Otherwise, the feed won't show up once one person is viewing.  I would suggest 10 at least and 40 at most.  Though in the youtube video it's noted that it uses a lot of bandwidth it should be noted, the bandwidth used depends on which band you use.  In this case, NWR, it shouldn't use very much.  So just something to add in addendum to what I had said previously

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #1064 on: July 12, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
Hey where is Cheboygan, MI Located?  I know where it is in Wisconsin, but in Michigan, sorry for any strange questions. 

Cheboygan is in the Tip of the Mitt, just to the east of Mackinaw City which is at the tip of the Lower Peninsula.

CW3699

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1065 on: July 13, 2019, 02:38:11 AM »
Hey I'm curious, is that anywhere near Traverse city?
And by the way new deals added.
Memphis, TN, transmitter appears to be out of frequency.
Phoenix, AZ, which I'm logged onto listening right now.
Springfield IL, as well.
Continue the good work.  Between the SDR's and noaaweatherradio.org, I think we have almost totally blown away the weather underground.
Heck, with the one sdr alone, from the Carolina, all 7 frequencies have a station on them. On the phoenix one that I'm on I can listen to Sadona, Phoenix, and Payson AZ.  Transmitters which were never either streaming or being provided for us to listen to.
Everyone keep an eye on that tropical storm, I don't like the sound of what I'm seeing.  Granted It'll be a cat 1, but still, the storm serge and that concerns me.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1066 on: July 13, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
Welcome to the sdr list of stations, Madison Wisconsin.  Picks up Milwaukee, Jaynesville, and Madison.  So The SDR's are starting to Populate.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
    • NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio
« Reply #1067 on: July 13, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
All this alternate SDR feed discussion is great.. but does nothing for the purpose of this thread.. promoting a centralized location for NOAA and EC Weather Radio in one central location, and providing stream templates to providers' websites... nor will we be able to 'source' reliably the variable access and quality of the SDR streams and sources we've looked at, generally. 

....  meanwhile... 'normal' feeds or mirrored streams to NWROrg servers are dropping like flies, and quality overall is dropping...
We did a rather 'strict' and 'arbitrary' audit for quality and availability generally based on QRA status from last 10 days, and availability audits as of 11:30 AM today...

Simply put... please check your streams...
If this trend continues, first we will 'delist' a large number of streams, and if the preentations don't improve,  we may flush the site, since an increasing number of streams are NOT, overall, meeting the standards we agreed to promote when applying for NOAA sanctions and promise our thousands of users, both on the main site, and the synchronized web scripts on personal web pages.

The volunteer team maintaining this free service from our own pickets does NOT have time or energy to chase folks...  and if we cannot provide a reliable, coherent platform, we will kill it. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:03:48 PM by NWROrg Team »

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1068 on: July 14, 2019, 01:57:14 AM »
I hope this doesn't come off too strong, sorry if it does.  Well on the rtlsdr things I'm only trying to help.
Area 2, I have a suggestions.  To those of you who are streaming, remember your encoder bitrate should be no lower than 32 k.
Anything lower than that will end up not being good.
We've also got streams who's audio doesn't exist, dallas Georgia.
The problem, if we drop this, we would be in effect also punishing those who are putting their hardest efforts in.
Sadly in my situation I don't have much choice on the kzz52 situation as they are saying its going to take 2 months before they'll even have the transmitter back online.
What I'm doing, back onto the sdr subject, is giving people a few alternate routs to listen to more distant NWR Feeds really, that the streamers may not be able to provide simply as they don't have enough radios.
We aren't really getting the streams we were loking for.
A friend of mine who reads this forum who is not a user on here made a good point, some of the people on the weather underground didn't even have a website listed so in most of those cases we lost them anyway.
Bandwidth should also be a consideration.  If you are on a broadband dsl connection, such as what I am, I simply won't set the quality any higher than 32 k.
There are quite a few good streams that are still streaming, they are in my list as we speak.
My personal opinion is, the ones who are unable to stream consistently, we need them to either A, fix their quality to where their stream will work right, and or B, if they need help in getting the quality to stream right, contact someone to help them instead of just, whatever works.
Being blind and as good a hearing as I have I hear a few feeds we can't even begin to understand so yeah I hear you.
My advice is don't give up on it, because remember, we are beyond that.  We can get through this.
If I didn't think we could get through this I wouldn't be posting such a message like this.
We've got to remember, we are all humans.  Yes we are streaming weather radio, we are also all humans, so let's try to work with each other and not get too harsh.
We don't want to lose people from being so harsh that we push people away.  So if we can try to moderate that a tad, that will kinda make things simple and easy.
Having experienced this before on several forums I'm a part of I try to provide as much help as I can.
I will say this, if we want to get new streamers and stuff on the project, one thing we need to do is be as open to suggestions as possible.  Hear reason, and all work together to make sure that we do our part to keep it going.  Did we not put this up with a purpose in mind?  Yes.  So what would we be doing, if we took the project down?  Pulling a WU, remember, they went down, claiming listernership and quality, but in reality, they just flat took it down.
We said we wanted to keep this up, so there is no reason to have this taken down, when the streams mentioned therin can just be delisted and go from there.  There are a few new streams on broadcastify, so if we can get a hold of the ones streaming their streams on broadcastify to give us the non changing URLS, then maybe we can add those in their stead.
Has anyone reached out to them, if not let me know and I'll try to figure out, despite broadcastify's slightly difficult layout to see if I can find them to see if we can get it where we get more of the streams.
I do understand where you are coming from, I just feel that we're kinda taking exxtreme approaches when we have simple solution.
and then think about like the Idaho group that's got the streams up using the boise state public radio, Goosecreek weather, the cold front, Desoto Valley weather, Chappelle, and others who are providing quality streams, they are ill effected by what ever else is going on.
Does everyone remember, wu had to start small, and streams came and went.  I can't tell you how many streams came and went that I was trying to keep tabs on.
But Unlike wu, we are ok with duplicate streams.
The duplicate streams help out tremendously.
So guys, to keep things from getting worse than they are, like was said by our team, let's not make people chase you.
I'll let this be said, who ever we gotta chase, is whom ever they may be willing to delist.
Please understand my intention is not to come off strong, it's to make sure we are being reasonable, logical and honest, understanding and at the same time, sticking to the purpose for why we are even on this thread to begin with, as well as why the sight is up.
One last thing on the rtlsdr, reliability is something that I will deal with since i'm the one who mentioned it, that is I'll try to make sure we have things a tad reliable.  It should be noted I'm changing ISP's here in the coming month.
SO I might temporarily stream another stream, and mirror one temporarily until they bring it back up.
And you forget, as to the servers thing there's a reason I told the people to set their airspy servers to 20 or more clients.  Because their one client would be for them if they want their stream on the noaaweatherradio.org website.
See, I have a method to my madness (figure of speech denoting that I'm expanding the thing I brought up to including streaming to noaaweatherradio.org."
Thanks
Brandon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:33:09 AM by brandon86 »

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1069 on: July 15, 2019, 01:20:32 AM »
As for my sdr suggestions.
We've lost a couple of sdr's since the other night, the one for Edmonton, and the phoenix one.
Now, As for sdr's and streaming.  Those of you who put up your sdr's, if you would, please also provide us a stream with your primary noaa weather radio station, to do this, do the following.
1. Set the output device on the audio settings of sdrsharp to use your virtual audio cable if you have it or vb audio cable.
2. Set your encoder program to use that as the input.
3. Connect to your sdr receiver, with http://127.0.0.1:port where (port) represents the server port you will use, default is 5555.
Note, this port MUST be forwarded for public access for those wishing to use the sdr directly to listen to the broadcast in realtime.
4.  Set frequency to your local NWR.  For best results, set your center frequency of your sdr server so that all users connect directly to the nwr or ec weather radio feds.
5.  Connect your encoder to either my server, on 172.104.31.232 port 8000 password as always, smokescreen
Or use the details provided in the howto for connecting to wxradio.dyndns.org port 8000 for your stream to the servers.
Once done, not only will you have a perfectly accessible sdr for people to listen to your nearby weather radio stations.  But you'll also have a stream that is relyable for noaaweatherradio.org
Email me with any questions to kc0usm@gmail.com
Do not forget, keep saving lives.  Don't forget why we put up this fantastic project.
If it helps, for those streaming I also have an update.
KZZ52 will be down so I will continue to stream nearby weather radio stations.
I will in the coming months be buying an rtlsdr radio and hopefully getting it to work through the system mentioned a bit ago, in my prior posts, and will move my kzz52 stream over to that.  This way we have better results and I am not tying up my ham radio gear when I'm apt to call ham nets at 7:30, the reason of course, on Monday nights, apart from other times i'm on the air, that you may right now hear dead audio.
Thanks
Brandon

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #1070 on: July 15, 2019, 01:26:24 AM »
Hey I'm curious, is that anywhere near Traverse city?

Yea about 2.5 hours North North East of TC.

CW3699

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
Actually speaking of I'm surprised we haven't had the streams resume for traverse city.  Hmmm.  Still can't believe the number of feeds we don't have.  I'm talking from the original WU suite.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #1072 on: July 15, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
Actually speaking of I'm surprised we haven't had the streams resume for traverse city.  Hmmm.  Still can't believe the number of feeds we don't have.  I'm talking from the original WU suite.

Hi Brandon,

I know, right?  I no longer have the Excel spreadsheet that Ken had made when we first started this. There were something like 165 stations listed on there. I and several others contacted everyone that had an email on there. Most of those we heard back from, but there were something like 40-50 stations that had no contact information. For all we know, they are still trying to send their stream to WU, not knowing that it's been gone for 2 years. Who knows.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1073 on: July 15, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »
Hey John.  PM me some time, I have a grand old idea.  And when I pass it on to you, you're gunna think at first, I'm nuts, but then when I run it to you you'll be like, loo, if we get more streams because of this, then what will we do?
I mean, we'll celebrate, that's what we'll do.
I think for anyone's info khb46 dropped due to the storm.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1074 on: July 18, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
KHB46 is bak online.

anything