Author Topic: Davis Vantage Solar Radiation Sensor  (Read 868 times)

Offline Pedr057

Davis Vantage Solar Radiation Sensor
« on: February 03, 2023, 07:00:41 AM »
The units for the solar radiation sensor are W/m2. That sounds simple enough on the face of it. However, exactly what area does it relate to? Is it in the horizontal plane ie parallel to the ground? Is is a plane normal to the sun? Is it something else?!

Wy do I want to know? Well, I have an array of PV solar panels that are partially shaded, especially in winter, and I'd like to compare the solar radiation from the weather station with the apparent radiation on the PV panels. I have all the specs for the panels including the maximum power generated in W/m2 and efficiencies etc and want to estimare the percetgae losses due to shading. Knowing exsctly what the weather station is measuring is key.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Vantage Solar Radiation Sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 08:04:52 AM »
The Davis sensor measures global solar radiation and not direct. If you want to measure direct you need a different sensor. Davis sensors can be affected by reflections from clouds and can reach values around 900+w/m2 or more in high summer at solar noon.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:20:02 PM »
I would think you would want to mount the solar radiation sensor at the same angle and direction as the solar panels.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 02:17:32 AM »
I would think you would want to mount the solar radiation sensor at the same angle and direction as the solar panels.

Rich K.

I'm not sure that will achieve the desired result since this sensor needs to be mounted level so it points straight up any other way will invalidate the readings. It measures total or global solar radiation which is direct and reflected radiation, you cannot estimate direct from global in any way.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 05:05:23 AM »
If your prime objective is to gather irradiance data for correlation with the solar panels' performance then I think mounting the sensor normal to the plane of the panels should work fine. The solar panels don't distinguish between direct and indirect irradiance, so the panel performance and sensor readings should be comparable. But, sure, as you imply, the sensor readings will no longer provide a standardised meteorological reading for global/total solar irradiance
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 06:31:14 AM »
If you want both, keep it horizontal and apply a correction factor based on the suns position in the sky and the angle of the panels. Just a bit of simple trigonometry ;)
It would not be perfect, as the senor cannot distinguish between the diffuse and direct contributions, but it may be "good enough".
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 06:33:41 AM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline Pedr057

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 04:17:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses - they've given me some good ideas for further investigation. I had already built myself a spreadsheet model that I use to calculate the instantaneous power output at 15 mins intervals throughout the year (approx 35,000 points). I can use it to optimize zenith/inclination and azimuth/orientation for the panels, either for the year as a whole or a particular season eg winter. However, it can't account for weather and shading adverse impacts so I thought using my weather station might give me some insights into te weather component when the panels aren't shaded.

I hadn't considered direct and diffuse radiation. The panels and station aren't that far apart so not a prime concern for me (the station is much, much less impacted by shading though).

anything