Author Topic: Active winter  (Read 589 times)

Offline madridwx

• Always looking for the perfect storm to photograph
    • http://www.madridiowaweather.com
Active winter
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:45:51 PM »
Today I was thinking about how active and stormy this winter has been here in Central Iowa so I decided to see how this winter compares to last year as far as issued products from the NWS are concerned.  For the month of January I recorded a total of 17 watches, warnings, and advisories for my county (Boone).  Last January we recorded 10. 

This winter reminds me of the bad winters of the late 70's and early 80's when I was a kid.  I lived out in the country about 45 minutes to the east of where I live now and I remember many times riding the school bus the snow drifts at the end of our gravel road where higher than the bus.  It was like driving in a tunnel with no roof.  Several times when the road would drift shut the county would have to send in the bulldozer to clear the drifts because the snow plow just couldn't do it.

I like active weather, but I am ready to start chasing thunderstorms again, not driving to work and wondering if I can keep out of the ditch.   ](*,)

Willard
For current weather in Madrid, IA please visit www.iowatelecom.net/~wsharp.
Willard Sharp
For up to the minute weather information in Madrid, IA please visit www.madridiowaweather.com