Author Topic: Gmail Account Sign-in Issues  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Ajax

• Spring Brook Station
Gmail Account Sign-in Issues
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:50:59 PM »
I've got what may be a fairly unique problem, but one that has only presented itself after the recent WU updates. I created a support case through WU, but it looks like here might be a better chance to getting this noticed or at least some sort of idea that there's awareness (Case #1291806)

I signed up for WU using a Gmail account set with a "plus-sign" (+) filter. See this Gmail Blog entry for details. Depending on who you ask this could be considered an obscure feature, but one that has worked reliably with WU for years. I won't share my email publicly, but it follows this convention, 'text.text+wunderground@gmail.com'.

Since the update when I try to login to the site I get notified that my email/password combo doesn't work. I go to the password reset and get the email with the instructions and the link to update the password. When I click the link the problem is that initially the URL resolves with the plus-sign, but then updates without the plus sign, leaving a space, and breaking the URL.

So it looks something like this in the Address bar:

After Click
Initially the plus sign is present in the URL, but then there's a brief pause before it's refreshed to what's seen below.

After URL Refresh
Here we can see the plus-sign (+) has been replaced with a space character which renders an invalid URL.

Resulting Message from WU (screen capture attached)
  • ---Invalid Link.---

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The result of this is that I cannot access my account including my PWS page. I'm hoping this is something that can be resolved.

Thanks,
Aaron
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless - Meteobridge | Weathercloud | HAM Weather

Offline Ajax

• Spring Brook Station
Re: Gmail Account Sign-in Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:14:17 PM »
@WunderTodd (PWS PM): I'm hoping maybe you can help, I have no way to access my account or PWS still. I've had not response from WU support either.  :sad:

Offline Ajax

• Spring Brook Station
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
@WunderTodd (PWS PM): I've tried contacting you back both through direct messaging and the support email. I've had no further responses since.

As I said in my response, the site won't let me sign up for another account because the email address I wish to use is already in use (by me).

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 01:34:05 AM »
Don't bother trying to contact them; they don't care.

Your best bet is to send an email to Victoria Gardner (victoria.gardner@ibm.com) and plead your case.  She's on the API team but seems to be the only person involved with this that has any power to get things done.  Good luck.

Offline Ajax

• Spring Brook Station
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
Unfortunately that looks to be the case.

I did find the WeatherAPI support area for WU so I'm hoping I might have some luck there. Ms. Gardner is a contributor there along with some other folks who seem to be active. Curiously, this Todd person only has one response there so I'm curious what, if any, actual involvement he has anymore.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »
He is feed up with all the negative and sometimes vicious comments and personal attacks and now rarely participates in any discussions. BTW I never use my Google account to sign in for anything.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:20:59 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline Ajax

• Spring Brook Station
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 09:19:27 PM »
I certainly can't fault someone for wanting to exit an environment which is toxic toward them or who they represent.

At the same time he did respond and started helping me, but then disappeared so that was disappointing. Despite that--while I am a little frustrated at not being able to access my account--I bear no ill will toward Todd or WU.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
There was a worldwide issue with Gmail and some Google apps this afternoon. All should have been resolved .
Story here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/2/18649635/youtube-snapchat-down-outage

Offline Ajax

• Spring Brook Station
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Unfortunately my problem isn't related to that and instead their implementation of their password recovery system. This has also been going on since they released the new site. But thank you all the same.

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 09:17:21 AM »
There was a worldwide issue with Gmail and some Google apps this afternoon. All should have been resolved .
Story here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/2/18649635/youtube-snapchat-down-outage

A tangent here - thanks for this. I was having problems with IMAP access to GMAIL and this explains it. All better now.

Back to the original topic now...
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community