Author Topic: Upload current conditions to WeatherLink without using app  (Read 440 times)

Offline weatherdj

Upload current conditions to WeatherLink without using app
« on: January 05, 2024, 01:27:06 PM »
I noticed my WeatherLink desktop app posts current condition updates every minute by making an HTTP PUT request to the URL http://wl6.weatherlink.com/bin.php. It passes a payload of ~120 bytes in hex format that contains what I assume is all of the current observation data.

Has anyone decoded this payload? I'd love to be able to post current condition updates to WeatherLink by writing my own custom script without having to use the desktop application.

Thanks for your time and any guidance you may have!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Upload current conditions to WeatherLink without using app
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 05:16:38 PM »
Yes, a few people have done so, but I've not seen it publicly documented anywhere.

Actually, I'm not sure that this isn't for the best. If the protocol were publicly disclosed then it might encourage all sorts of experimentation, including potentially from non-Davis stations. Maybe also, accidentally or maliciously, the result could - at least in theory - corrupt data ingestion at the wl.com server, though one would hope that the server code would be fully robust to this. There might then be a reaction from Davis with who knows what ramifications. I can imagine scenarios with adverse consequences for the community here.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything