Author Topic: CoCoRaHS Station Setup  (Read 2712 times)

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
CoCoRaHS Station Setup
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
I recently received my rain gauge. Was really excited to mount it but then realized that the ground was frozen and I can't put in a post. So I decided to use zip ties and mount it on this metal pole thing. I really have no idea what its called but you can probably see. Is this a good place to mount it? Any suggestions? I know its a bit close to the gazebo but does anyone think it's too close? Anyone think wind would knock it over? It's pretty heavy. Any suggestions help!!! Thanks in advance!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: CoCoRaHS Station Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »
Looks to close to me at least from the camera angle for snow blowing, rain splashing off that nearby roof. How close to other roofs are you? Read the setup instructions. Needs to be leveled also.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:57:36 PM »
Have you considered the existing fence as far away from objects as possible.
Randy

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
Im around 15-20 feet away from the house roof. It says not to mount the gauge on a fence due to updrafts.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
Im around 15-20 feet away from the house roof. It says not to mount the gauge on a fence due to updrafts.
I wouldn't put it there your are like 4 feet away from a big funnel.
Randy

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
Welcome to CoCoRaHS =D>

As the others, I would suggest to keep it away from the buildings and fences.  Wind would not likely affect your mounting but keeping it level and sturdy and at the appropriate height is important.  Can those ties keep it tight? and they can deteriorate in the sun!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
Thank you for all the replies! So should I move it back 2 or 3 feet and maybe to the right a bit?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »
Snow is the most difficult to measure, this was my first year. In my area, snow can blow 15-30 feet off my roofs depending on the wind. So I need to be back at least 40-50'  I'm not sure what your weather is like, just judge from your own experience what distance away is needed for the gauge not to measure whats blowing off roofs. I realize some areas are really limited on gauge placement but if its not accurate your better off not reporting.
Randy

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:02:01 AM »
Welcome to CoCoRaHS! :-)   That would not be an ideal location for your permanent mount. If you haven't already, please take some time to review the slide sets, especially the "Getting Started" one here.
Bill

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:28:06 AM »
Welcome to CoCoRaHS!
I know that the snow season is coming to an end, but I would strongly suggest getting an extra outer cylinder for snow measurements. I actually have two extra cylinders, one a spare and the other from my old "Weather Channel" gauge (the same gauge). When I catch snow in the outer cylinder, I immediately swap it out with the empty spare, then melt the catch.

The old cylinder is used for core snow measurement.

I too was thrown off by the photo, but I realized that your metal pole is a bit away from that gazebo. It is not as bad as first thought, where it appeared that the roof runoff would go into the gauge as well as being blocked. I would agree that you need to move it a bit farther out. I could not meet the "guidelines" myself, and placed my gauge equidistant between the house and detached garage. I reviewed it with my NWS CoCoRaHS coordinator and he thought it was OK. I was particularly concerned about the overhead power/cable wires even though they were not directly overhead. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can.

I actually have my CoCoRaHS gauge in a similar setup. I had an old pipe with a floor flange. I attached the flange to a deck block, and attached a 1x4 board with conduit clamps. The deck block is stable and did not tip in 34mph winds. (highest we have had since installing it).

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22568.msg218781#msg218781

Greg H.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:32:41 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
You are very unlikely to find a perfect site.  One nice thing about your temporary setup is you can try different locations before choosing the best permanent site.  By the rules, my Cocorahs gauge is too close to the house.  However, since installation the Cocorahs gauge and my Rainwise electronic weather station on the roof have been in lock step.  So I guess they are both just as bad as the other. #-o

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
I can move the stand back a few feet. If I do will it be a bit better?

anything