Author Topic: Goldstar Stations  (Read 55096 times)

Offline BlairsvilleWX

Re: Goldstar Stations
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
I got my WS-1001 up about a week ago.  It was in a temporary location on an open, exposed, front deck.  5 days after it was up, it was Goldstar.  Today, I moved it to its permanent location 22' AGL (But just below peak of house).  In the stations defense, it has been comparable to other stations within 10 miles or so, except now the wind is a little more accurate.

I have no idea how to get the weather sticker on here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:25:31 PM by BlairsvilleWX »
KGABLAIR31

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »
I got my WS-1001 up about a week ago.  It was in a temporary location on an open, exposed, front deck.  5 days after it was up, it was Goldstar.  Today, I moved it to its permanent location 22' AGL (But just below peak of house).  In the stations defense, it has been comparable to other stations within 10 miles or so, except now the wind is a little more accurate.

No offense, I am glad your station is reporting well, BUT it goes to show a person that the WU goldstar is a joke. Shame on WU, not you. 5 days of reporting and you qualify for the gold star designation? That makes the designation a farce. Several weeks of data should be required before awarding anything--whether from a $50 PWS or a $1,000 PWS.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:48:54 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »

No offense, I am glad your station is reporting well, BUT it goes to show a person that the WU goldstar is a joke. 5 days of reporting and you qualify for the gold star designation? That makes the designation a farce. Several weeks of data should be required before awarding anything--whether from a $50 PWS or a $1,000 PWS.
I'll bet you pull wings off flies too....

:-P

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
My station lost its Goldstar rating! Should I jump off a cliff or will it return? "Turn the record over" and learn the results. Talk about dating myself, how many posters have any idea what a "record" is, that is a vinyl record!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2016, 12:25:56 AM »
78 or 45

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »
meddle just went on the turntable
     don't bug me........

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »

Personal Weather Station  Komoka Village IONTARIO226
seems kind of boring without that pretty gold star in front of it :(

I did flip it over and got
Personal Weather Station  Komoka, ON Canada IONTARIO1189
so that didn't help #-o

We did have an old 78 once, with hand cranking...

Paul

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »

Personal Weather Station  Komoka Village IONTARIO226
seems kind of boring without that pretty gold star in front of it :(

I did flip it over and got
Personal Weather Station  Komoka, ON Canada IONTARIO1189
so that didn't help #-o

We did have an old 78 once, with hand cranking...

Paul

Your photo of your station on WU is very nice--very pretty setting. Some day, WU will give us our Goldstar rating back. Until then I guess I must wonder what I did to lose it and promise the WU gods never to do it again!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »

Some day, WU will give us our Goldstar rating back. Until then I guess I must wonder what I did to lose it and promise the WU gods never to do it again!
I have politely asked WU on why, at least my IONTARIO226, sites are no longer showing the Gold Star.  I can understand the Bloomsky IONTARIO1189 not being Gold Star as it is usually 5 min, but quite often 10 min or longer.  Whereas the other is updated from Davis/Cumulus and  pretty well always 5 min, and with good data.

And thanks for the compliment on the webcam.  However I wish I had my Hikvision working again, or at least another webcam from that location as it gave a much better sky and weather view and evening sunset from top of the roof.

Enjoy,
Paul
Lest We Forget!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:05 PM »

Some day, WU will give us our Goldstar rating back. Until then I guess I must wonder what I did to lose it and promise the WU gods never to do it again!
I have politely asked WU on why, at least my IONTARIO226, sites are no longer showing the Gold Star.  I can understand the Bloomsky IONTARIO1189 not being Gold Star as it is usually 5 min, but quite often 10 min or longer.  Whereas the other is updated from Davis/Cumulus and  pretty well always 5 min, and with good data.

And thanks for the compliment on the webcam.  However I wish I had my Hikvision working again, or at least another webcam from that location as it gave a much better sky and weather view and evening sunset from top of the roof.

Enjoy,
Paul
Lest We Forget!
Two questions. How do you politely communicate with WU? Please? You are the best service ever? I own a $100,000 piece of IBM equipment to upload to IBM's WU?

Second question. What software do you use to upload webcam photos to WU? Does Weatherlink allow that capability or do you use something else?

By the way, WU has not restored Goldstar status to my PWS. I can't sleep at night, my dog doesn't like me any more, and my wife has put me into the doghouse--all because of after numerous months of non-stop Goldstar status from WU, I no longer have it, for reasons that students around the world are studying why. Maybe it is because a nearby PWS (15 miles away) is reporting temperatures of about 100 degrees in a Chicago suburb in November, so maybe my station might have caught whatever disease this nearby station has, thereby the Goldstar status should be removed from my station pending further review and examination. This PWS outlier is viewable here:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?dw7813

Rumor has it that Obama and Trump have made my Goldstar omission a major transition of power issue. Priorites by Trump are pick a cabinet, repeal Obamacare, pick a supreme court justice, resolve the Goldstar issue, reduce poverty... So being fourth on this list isn't too bad, all things considered.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:28:51 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »

How do you politely communicate with WU?
Ask first, then lay blame!

What software do you use to upload webcam photos to WU?
I still use Yawcam to upload once a minute to my site, and use the WU URL method for getting the image.
I don't believe WL can upload images.
The Bloomsky is another matter...

This PWS outlier is viewable here:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?dw7813
Looks like that PWS has an ego thing :roll:  or is it the comparables that are out of sync #-o

Rumor has it that
What I have heard is they are transitioning to a Big Blue Blue Ribbon award ;)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
A new station went on line 11/10/16 that is located roughly a mile from mine.  It already has the "Gold Medal" and is reporting a pressure of 30.88 when mine and the local airport are reporting ~30.39. ](*,)  I don't worry about the "Gold Medal"  any more.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
reporting a pressure of 30.88 when mine and the local airport are reporting ~30.39. ](*,)  I don't worry about the "Gold Medal"  any more.

Mark
Shocked that WU hasn't "fixed" it for him. :roll:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
My station lost its Goldstar rating! Should I jump off a cliff or will it return? "Turn the record over" and learn the results. Talk about dating myself, how many posters have any idea what a "record" is, that is a vinyl record!
I have about 140 vinlys. Often wonder what I could do with them.
Wonder if they are worth anything.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2016, 07:44:01 PM »
How 'bout listening to them. Thankfully, after a 15+ year break and a new cartridge, I rediscovered my vinyl. NEVER should have left. =D> =D>

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
How 'bout listening to them. Thankfully, after a 15+ year break and a new cartridge, I rediscovered my vinyl. NEVER should have left. =D> =D>

We are dating ourselves! I just stumbled on my reel to reel tape deck in the basement. I might loan it to WU in return for my Gold Star status!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
That reminded me of something :D About 2 months ago I was doing major clean up in my flat and in one of the shelves I found a .... diskette :D It was actually one that I used about 20 yrs ago on my dad's black/white 10 inch company laptop :D I took it to my work where we still have one PC that has diskette reader. I opened it and there was just one Word document and when I opened it it was an invitation I made for my 9th birthday :D (meaning it was from 1996, probably the very first yr I have ever worked with a computer) and it was just one big colorful page full of WordArts :D :D

And so that I am not OT... some of the word arts were indeed in gold color :D Which I of course did not even know because the screen was B/W

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »
That reminded me of something :D About 2 months ago I was doing major clean up in my flat and in one of the shelves I found a .... diskette :D It was actually one that I used about 20 yrs ago on my dad's black/white 10 inch company laptop :D I took it to my work where we still have one PC that has diskette reader. I opened it and there was just one Word document and when I opened it it was an invitation I made for my 9th birthday :D (meaning it was from 1996, probably the very first yr I have ever worked with a computer) and it was just one big colorful page full of WordArts :D :D

And so that I am not OT... some of the word arts were in deed in gold :D Which I of course did not even know because the screen was B/W

Was it an 3 or 5 inch disk?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »
3 :D 1.44MB capacity :D Never worked with 5... Im too young for that :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
Our very first computer we had at home had Windows 98, I remember it was just released as a new OS. That was also the first time I learned there is something called "internet". We had a very slow dial-up and I remember I always counted the number of seconds left till the next interval and I knew I have to disconnect before then not to spend too much money and I prayed that Outlook downloads all new emails in time, sometimes it didnt, so I had to wait for the next day :D My parents didnt let me connect more than once a day because it was very expensive :D

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
3 :D 1.44MB capacity :D Never worked with 5... Im too young for that :D

That is what I thought. By the way, did you see the question posted in another thread wondering what you are planning to do in life in 5 years. Did you answer that question as I am interested in your answer and forgot which thread that question was posted.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2016, 08:34:29 PM »
No, I missed that, I didnt see that thread... though to be quite honest... I have no clue, because right now I have a rough idea of what I want to do for the next 2 yrs. And then?.... no clue.... I want to finish my PhD, which is tightly related to my job, so I want to stay there too. In long term not so sure. Given I have already lived in several countries around Europe (Germany, Belgium etc.) I am ok with even moving somewhere abroad. I adapt very quickly and so I am practically opened to everything. Though that is not to stay I want to move abroad at all costs.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »
No, I missed that, I didnt see that thread... though to be quite honest... I have no clue, because right now I have a rough idea of what I want to do for the next 2 yrs. And then?.... no clue.... I want to finish my PhD, which is tightly related to my job, so I want to stay there too. In long term not so sure. Given I have already lived in several countries around Europe (Germany, Belgium etc.) I am ok with even moving somewhere abroad. I adapt very quickly and so I am practically opened to everything. Though that is not to stay I want to move abroad at all costs.

Interesting. What do you consider your native langauge? The way you author posts in this Forum makes me think English is your native tougue since it is perfect! But I doubt that it is.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2016, 08:40:56 PM »
And with regards to the actual job position... several options too.... Im a MSc geneticist and molecular biologist, working and doing a PhD in meteorology who loves programming and IT :D

My native language is Czech of course ;-) I do prefer English, but I guess German, French or Slovak would also be an option.