Author Topic: AWEKAS - Great for neighbor data comparison but not popular in US  (Read 8098 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Strange that AWEKAS is not more popular in the US. I find the neighbor comparison graphs interesting. Sure the site likes to default to metric but you can click the American Units link and switch in an instant.

I read some posts that people got grumpy with the service and having sensors locked by the service. But perhaps the data disparity has to do with the low adoption in the US and neighbors that are too far and/or too few.

Well I just want to say that I like those comparison graphs. Too bad I can't choose exactly whom to compare to and whom not. It would be nice to have some nearby neighbor selection check boxes and then be able to hit the compare button thereby making a selective comparison.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:00:20 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline dwhitemv

• KORJUNCT3
    • My PWS on Weather Underground
Re: AWEKAS - Great for neighbor data comparison but not popular in US
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:24:25 AM »
You can plot neighbors selectively using the Gladstone CWOP tools. It looks like your station FW3708 isn't showing up on Gladstone yet; have you completed the CWOP signup?

Once fully registered you can go to your Gladstone page:

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/F3708

Click on any of the graphs to switch to qcharts mode, then scroll to the bottom of the page. Your neighbor stations will display with checkboxes next to them. Select the neighbors and press "Add to charts" and their data will display next to yours on all the charts on the page.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »
Yes I only got on CWOP last week, and I've submitted to be registered and waiting on that to finalize. Thank you for the tip on selectively comparing to neighbors.

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »
In case anyone is reading this and learning about comparing to other CWOP stations I have another tip to compare yet more stations than the ones that are shown near you.

After you pull up your qchart page to compare to other stations listed below you can edit the address bar and add stations not listed.
Just append this to the end of the URL: 
&addnl=CXXXX    or DXXXX or EXXXX or FXXXX or an APRS Ham station or an airport METAR (make sure to use CAPS...it is case sensitive)

you can continue to do that for 2 or 3 or 4 stations. I don't know the limit of the graph. It worked for me for a handful of stations. I even added an airport METAR that was not listed near me but was still relatively close.

My nearby list had a lot of very near stations and I want to compare to one that just almost could have made the list if there had been fewer stations around me. This trick helped me compare to a station 9 miles away that looked good to me and I was curious to compare against. Everything in my default list was relatively close at 8 miles or less.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:43:59 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
I used to send my data to AWEKAS, but I stopped when they wanted to charge me in order to use my own data. I don't think so...
It has been well over a year since I stopped sending my data. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31037

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »
AWEKAS does not charge me a penny. I think they may have at some point in the past tried to charge for some added features, but that was an optional program. I think you signed up for a trial and then the trial ended and they charged you. I think you could have continued with the regular AWEKAS service for free. Might be worth a second look.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:26:48 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
I've been uploading to AWEKAS for many years and not had any issues https://www.awekas.at/en/qualcheck.php?selmode=0&id=6890  I do recall that they introduced some optional for-pay service a few years ago, which I didn't subscribe to.  I like their quick notification (reminder) if my data gets offline.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »
Thank you for the reminder about their notification. I had been meaning to test it and forgot. I just turned off my upload to them and I'll know in 2 hours (lowest setting they have) if I get the notification or not. I'll check spam folder too and make changes to ensure inbox placement. Good way to alert me if my Meteobridge looses connectivity. I already have the Meteobridge alert me if it gets bad data but it can't alert me if it itself is down.

UPDATE: Yes, I got an alert email at almost exactly 2 hours from administration@awekas.at in case someone wants to whitelist in their email system. I didn't have to whitelist though.

I encourage people to sign up with AWEKAS. It is sparse compared to other networks but not desolate. I think it could benefit from some more good stations.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
AWEKAS Contiguous US (and parts of Canada) Map - Pretty much those are all the current stations with overlap on crowded areas. Put your station up there and it will let you do some neat comparison graphs with neighbors. But make sure your hardware is calibrated...I hear they can be strict.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:04:28 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
I used to send my data to AWEKAS, but I stopped when they wanted to charge me in order to use my own data. I don't think so...
It has been well over a year since I stopped sending my data. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31037

Greg H.

I did a bit of digging and found this add-on product service that they sell called StationsWeb.
https://stationsweb.awekas.at/info/index_en.html

It looks to be like their own website template that you customize for you to use and publish over to your own website. This they charge 3.5 Euros/month. (~$4). This is not required to use AWEKAS free weather network.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:48:53 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »
I have been uploading there for years with no real problems. Seems I did get a nasty email from one in admin but I believe they were hacked.

Glad I read this reminder I forgot to set things up again after the move!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
I stopped sending when some guy in Europe tells me my barometer is wrong. He refused to except that WU and CWOP said it was good and kept comparing my station to ones hundreds of miles away on the other side of high mountain ranges. He turned my barometer data off I stopped sending

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
I stopped sending when some guy in Europe tells me my barometer is wrong. He refused to except that WU and CWOP said it was good and kept comparing my station to ones hundreds of miles away on the other side of high mountain ranges. He turned my barometer data off I stopped sending

Looks like since your experience AWEKAS may have changed how they compare to adjacent stations. I don't see evidence that they now compare you to stations hundreds of miles away any more.

I see that you live South West of Tucson and in your area there currently are no other AWEKAS station. There is one lone station in Tucson and it is not being compared to anyone else and its nearest neighbor is about 90 miles away in Maricopa (South of Phoenix). If you start transmitting again then you may be compared to each other as that is about 60 miles away from you. The furthest station that I'm compared with is 70 miles away. So somewhere between 70 and 90 miles is the cut off. It probably is 80 miles or 130 kilometers.
https://www.awekas.at/en/station.php?id=13135
https://www.awekas.at/en/qualcheck.php?id=13135
https://www.awekas.at/en/map.php?id=13135

So perhaps you can try again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:27:21 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 10:29:32 PM »
I recently added my station to awekas...I like the feature where you can design your own instrument panel... more USA observers should give it a try.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Harsum

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 06:06:56 AM »
Hello, there has been a problem with an admin in the past. (Steve  :oops:)
But now there is a new team there.
We try to solve all problems.
If you are in trouble with AWEKAS write to the admins or direct to the operator. -> mai(@)awekas.at

Udo

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »
Harsum,
First post I see. Not sure if to say welcome or not  :-), since you've been registered since 2014....Okay welcome!

Thank you for that information. I concur. Recent interactions I've had with AWEKAS team has been great. Anyone that has been previously turn off by AWEKAS should give them another try.
Tele-Pole

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:37:08 PM »
Froggit WH3000, Ecowitt HP2551, GW1000 and similar stations can now send data to Awekas.at directly. No device or external program needed.
In the WSView application, in the "Customized" tab, we provide what is attached.
I wonder if Ambient WS2000, WS2902 can also send data directly to Awekas.at.
Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
Froggit WH3000, Ecowitt HP2551, GW1000 and similar stations can now send data to Awekas.at directly. No device or external program needed.
Excellent! Thank you for sharing this information. Shame that you can only upload to one "Customized Server" location. Which usually means that you have to pick one of the various possible options. For example PWSweather also works with this method so if you were already uploading to PWSweather then you can not upload to AWEKAS (with this method). All the more reason to not really rely on this method and instead opt for a GW1000 and pair it up with some other software like Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather Display or WeeWx.

In the WSView application, in the "Customized" tab, we provide what is attached.
Please edit your attached image. You have it configured for upload interval of every 60 seconds and that is not good for AWEKAS for their free account. The fastest upload supported with AWEKAS for free account is 5 minutes (300 seconds). If you opt for paid account with AWEKAS then you can have upload of up to every 2, or 1 minutes, or 30 seconds.

I wonder if Ambient WS2000, WS2902 can also send data directly to Awekas.at.
Unfortunately no Ambient branded console hast the "Customized Server" option in the console settings. The best think an Ambient branded user can do is to add the Ecowitt GW1000 and then they would gain a lot of capabilities (not just this feature).
Tele-Pole

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:46 PM »
I bought a paid account for a year.
In return for help in translating into Polish, I received two years for free.
I send data to Awekas from three stations, including two GW1000 with connected Cumulus:
https://stationsweb.awekas.at/index.php?id=15883#
https://www.awekas.at/en/instrument.php?id=15883

https://stationsweb.awekas.at/index.php?id=15886#
https://www.awekas.at/en/instrument.php?id=15886
Here the data refreshes every five minutes.

Data from HP2551 station:
https://stationsweb.awekas.at/index.php?id=16001#
https://www.awekas.at/en/instrument.php?id=16001
refreshes every two minutes.
Sorry for my English.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »

Looks like since your experience AWEKAS may have changed how they compare to adjacent stations. I don't see evidence that they now compare you to stations hundreds of miles away any more.

I see that you live South West of Tucson and in your area there currently are no other AWEKAS station. There is one lone station in Tucson and it is not being compared to anyone else and its nearest neighbor is about 90 miles away in Maricopa (South of Phoenix). If you start transmitting again then you may be compared to each other as that is about 60 miles away from you. The furthest station that I'm compared with is 70 miles away. So somewhere between 70 and 90 miles is the cut off. It probably is 80 miles or 130 kilometers.
https://www.awekas.at/en/station.php?id=13135
https://www.awekas.at/en/qualcheck.php?id=13135
https://www.awekas.at/en/map.php?id=13135

So perhaps you can try again.

It appears that AWEKAS has changed the radius of how far away to compare your station to neighbor stations. I'm no longer being compared to a station 70 miles away. I lost 6 of my 7 neighbor stations. Now I'm only being compared to one station North of me 18 miles away. The next closest neighbor which I'm no longer compared to is 40 miles away to the South West.

Therefore AWEKAS new neighbor comparison is between 18 and 40 miles away. (Probably around 30 miles or 50 km). I wish more people would join AWEKAS.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:50:54 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 12:13:27 PM »
I just notice the change in AWEKAS, I only show two nearby stations.
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
I just notice the change in AWEKAS, I only show two nearby stations.

And your 3rd closest station (that is cut off) at about 20 miles (32 km) is just a little bit further than your 2nd closest (not cut off) 17 miles (27 km). So it does seem like the new magic cut off for AWEKAS neighbor stations is 30 km or 18.6 miles.
Tele-Pole

Offline Harsum

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 03:36:47 AM »
AWEKAS has now changed the calculation of the nearby stations.
Now all stations within a radius of approx. 18.6 miles -> 30 km are used.
It used to be a square of about this size, but now it is a circle.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:28:58 AM by Harsum »

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
Awekas.at introduced the option to select a comparison radius. We have a choice of 5, 15, 30 or 70 miles (10, 20, 50, 100 km).
I also wrote to them about the selective selection of stations. But one voice is not enough.
They have a forum in English:
https://www.awekas.at/for2/index.php?board/3-awekas-english/

As Harsum wrote, there is a new administrator and team.
If someone has sensors incorrectly blocked, they can enter their station ID here.
I will try to unlock.
Sorry for my English.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 02:16:15 PM »
I'm happy to see this new radius selection option. Thank you for the update.

But I still wish that more stations would join AWEKAS.
Tele-Pole

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »
Very popular in Europe, contributing with several stations since many years. It's a good service that alerts you if some sensors are going crazy or lost, and to check conditions on some areas with few online stations.

https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=522
https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=12132
https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=11193
https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=7355
https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=14605
https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=7151
https://www.awekas.at/de/instrument.php?id=14596
... and some other more.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:44:40 PM by casacota »