Author Topic: Tripod adjustments  (Read 567 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Tripod adjustments
« on: September 28, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Yesterday I stuck a new Vantage Vue atop the roof of my other house.  I used the typical tripod for the mounting.
I had to try numerous ways of placing and rotating the 3 legs to get the most natively level position.
Of course, none of the 3 foot pads would sit perfectly flush against the roof.  But I put the tar pads under them and drilled them in.  They seem secure enough.  I put heavy silicon all around the bases of the pads, worried about leaks.  I thought about putting it over the tops of the actual screws, but then I considered, how would I ever get them back off if/when I need to??  Oh well.

I thought it would be easy to adjust the support pole to nicely vertical, but it wasn't.  3 bolts low and 3 bolts high, each with 2 nuts on it.  I fiddled and fiddled with it, but it was not easy to fine tune, as I thought it would be.

Can anyone share any advice?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Tripod adjustments
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:41:30 PM »
Because of roof slope I ended up using one of these.  Just couldn't get a standard tripod to work. Here is the front porch where I mounted anemometer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P72TNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Yesterday I stuck a new Vantage Vue atop the roof of my other house.
Can anyone share any advice?
Does it have to be up there?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 03:51:53 PM »
yes it does

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
yes it does
Oh well. Obviously the roof material and ISS height above it will dictate how skewed your temp data is along with the rain if you can't get it sturdy and perpendicular. Keeping the bucket clean may also be a pain, but I'm sure you're already aware.