Author Topic: 3rd hand for CoCoRaHS funnel  (Read 2233 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
3rd hand for CoCoRaHS funnel
« on: July 22, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Last winter I had more than one near mishap while pouring out melted snow from the outer cylinder. I created a "third hand" using a hole saw and some J-hooks. I bolted the wood piece to a shelf in the garage.

Although I do realize that this is July, there are times when rainfall in excess of an inch would make this handy at any time.

With the funnel clamped down, you can hold the outer cylinder to pour and hold the measuring tube flush with the funnel bottom. It works great and I wouldn't be without it again.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: 3rd hand for CoCoRaHS funnel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »
Are you sure that's legal? Cocorahs expects you to spill some occasionally, everyone does, its built into the magic formula, you know they'll figure it out eventually..... :-P

I think its a great idea.  :grin:

Randy

Offline hberg

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »
Here is something I designed, first for a standard 8" NWS gauge, and then scaled down for the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge.

http://www.cocorahs.org/Media/docs/IL/CoCoRaHS-MTS%20Plans.pdf

I do need to modify this a litle to better handle the more common funnel type.

-Steve-
Climometeorologist
Illinois CoCoRaHS Coordinator
IL-CP-1

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:21:13 PM »
WOW! Very nice Steve.
Randy

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »
Oh Lordy.. we've let another CoCoRaHSian aboard...  :twisted:

Welcome, Steve

Offline hberg

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »

Welcome, Steve

Thanks...and you have no one to blame but yourself!    :grin:

I'm looking forward to participating and hope to be able to answer some questions that folks have.

-Steve-
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:57:14 PM »

Welcome, Steve

Thanks...and you have no one to blame but yourself!    :grin:

I'm looking forward to participating and hope to be able to answer some questions that folks have.

-Steve-
Who? Li'l Ole Me?  :-"

You'll find this bunch of explorers, inquisitors, searchers, seekers, experimenters, builders, beggars, newbies, oldies, 'tweeners, Astronauts to Zoologists (with an occasional non-classifiable expert wandering around) that hang out here a great bunch of folks.  We have our moments, but we remember eventually not to take ourselves too damn seriously. Nobody gets any slack.  And the amazing inventions, innovations, and incredible backgrounds that shine here.

Stick around.. explore... spend the next month of summer vacation catching up on the threads. More fun than you can shake a snow stick at... .

Mike

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
Here is something I designed, first for a standard 8" NWS gauge, and then scaled down for the 4" CoCoRaHS gauge.

-Steve-

Looks great. I might try building it up myself. Do the funnel "wings" rest on the top board?

On your stand, you can devote both hands to the outer cylinder, where on mine you have to hold both pieces.

Can I substitute standard 1x2's for the verticals? You have "2 inches" for the uprights.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:43:27 AM by miraculon »

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »
I just made one of Steve's, scrap from around the shop and a dozen screws.....just have to paint the whole thing.   Thanks, Steve, for the idea.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
You guys are too good.  =D>
Randy

Offline hberg

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »

-Steve-

Looks great. I might try building it up myself. Do the funnel "wings" rest on the top board?

On your stand, you can devote both hands to the outer cylinder, where on mine you have to hold both pieces.

Can I substitute standard 1x2's for the verticals? You have "2 inches" for the uprights.

Greg H.

Sure, you can use standard 1x2.  I used 2 inch wide pieces because that was what I had laying around the shop at the time. And yes, the wings rest on the top board. When I made this I forgot that most people have the non-NWS gauge (funnel without the wings). It still works with that funnel, but the funnel is just sitting top the inner measuring tube and not as stable. I plan on modifying the plans in the next couple of weeks to accommodate both types of funnels.
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

Offline hberg

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
I just made one of Steve's, scrap from around the shop and a dozen screws.....just have to paint the whole thing.   Thanks, Steve, for the idea.

Nice!!

-Steve-
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »

-Steve-

Greg H.

Sure, you can use standard 1x2.  I used 2 inch wide pieces because that was what I had laying around the shop at the time. And yes, the wings rest on the top board. When I made this I forgot that most people have the non-NWS gauge (funnel without the wings). It still works with that funnel, but the funnel is just sitting top the inner measuring tube and not as stable. I plan on modifying the plans in the next couple of weeks to accommodate both types of funnels.

OK, that is what I was thinking, because mine doesn't have the wings.

I was thinking of 4 inch PVC (and some kind of toilet flange and drill out the knockout). The OD of the PVC pipe is too big I think. It might be difficult to mill down to fit the funnel.

The other idea I had was to buy another overflow cylinder, cut it down to size so the bottom is flush with the stand and the top allows a perfect fit for the funnel into the measuring tube. I have cut PVC with my radial arm saw and chop saw (makes a mess), but I don't know how the polycarbonate would work. I don't want a molten mess on my saw blade.
There would need to be a hole cut in the bottom to let the funnel end pass through.

Another random thought: a hybrid of your holder and mine. A hinge could fold the funnel down in place on the measuring tube in the stand. Need to ponder this one for a while.  :-k :-k :-k ... :idea:

Greg H.

Offline hberg

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 02:49:36 PM »

-Steve-

Greg H.

OK, that is what I was thinking, because mine doesn't have the wings.

I was thinking of 4 inch PVC (and some kind of toilet flange and drill out the knockout). The OD of the PVC pipe is too big I think. It might be difficult to mill down to fit the funnel.

The other idea I had was to buy another overflow cylinder, cut it down to size so the bottom is flush with the stand and the top allows a perfect fit for the funnel into the measuring tube. I have cut PVC with my radial arm saw and chop saw (makes a mess), but I don't know how the polycarbonate would work. I don't want a molten mess on my saw blade.
There would need to be a hole cut in the bottom to let the funnel end pass through.

Another random thought: a hybrid of your holder and mine. A hinge could fold the funnel down in place on the measuring tube in the stand. Need to ponder this one for a while.  :-k :-k :-k ... :idea:

Greg H.

My initial thought was to either extend the vertical supports to the height of the bottom edge of the funnel (so it would be supported by resting on each support), or add two small supports to the top part B. I think the first option is the likely solution, though it may require that part B be slightly smaller. I'll have to fiddle around with the funnels to know for sure.

-Steve-
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

Offline hberg

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »
I just did a quick check and it looks like the solution is to make the vertical supports 2 inches longer, attaching the top part B at its current location, leaving two inches of the vertical support above the top part B. That will allow the edges of both types of funnels to rest on the supports with the funnel outlet in the inner tube, providing a stable hold for pouring.

I'll try and whip up another prototype in the next couple of days and I'll post a photo when I do.

-Steve-
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
This sound simpler and better. I tend towards Rube Goldberg concoctions that are Complex and Glorious..

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
hberg, any luck on the modified design for holding the non-finned funnel?

Greg H.

Offline hberg

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 05:18:27 PM »
Greg, yes I did have success.  Part A (the vertical support) should be 11.5 inches long. The top tube support (Part B) should attach with it's top edge 9.5" from the bottom. That will leave 2 inches of the vertical support above it. The edge of the funnel rests on the vertical supports with the funnel in the tube.

I have the prototype sitting on my workbench. I'll try a get a photo tonight to post. I'll modify the plans in the next couple of days.

-Steve-
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:38:06 PM by hberg »
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

Offline hberg

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 08:59:46 PM »
OK, here are a couple of photos of my improved MTS (Measurement Tube Support).  This will now accommodate both the standard funnel and the NWS-style funnel with wings.

-Steve-
Climometeorologist
IL-CP-1

anything