Author Topic: VP2 w/ 6332  (Read 2843 times)

Offline danb35

VP2 w/ 6332
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »
I'm looking at upgrading to a VP2 (or possibly a VP2+) system at home, and planning to later use a 6332 unit to put the anemometer on the roof.  If I decide to go for the Plus model, the solar and UV sensors would probably do better mounted up there too.  The 6332 has jacks for solar, UV, and just about everything else, but if I'm reading the spec sheet right, when used with a VP2, it will only do wind.  If I want to use it with anything else, I need an Envoy 8X.  Am I reading that right?  Seems an odd limitation if so.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 w/ 6332
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
If I decide to go for the Plus model, the solar and UV sensors would probably do better mounted up there too. 
Why so?

Offline danb35

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
If I decide to go for the Plus model, the solar and UV sensors would probably do better mounted up there too. 
Why so?
Because I'm surrounded by tall trees, and I'd expect shadows to interfere with both the solar and the UV sensors at least some of the time.  I could minimize that effect by putting the ISS in the middle of the front yard, but the WAF would be pretty low in that case.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
Why so?
Because I'm surrounded by tall trees, and I'd expect shadows to interfere with both the solar and the UV sensors at least some of the time.  I could minimize that effect by putting the ISS in the middle of the front yard, but the WAF would be pretty low in that case.
In that case I would seriously consider the cost/benefit/PITA ratio.

Offline danb35

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
The benefit on any of it would be nothing more than satisfying my curiosity--I have no specific reason that I need to know any of the weather data, much less numbers for solar and UV.  I just want to know.  And I'm leaning away from "just want to know" justifying the price delta between the VP2 and the VP2+, but still wanting to make sure I understand how it would work.  But if I'm going to gather the data at all, I want it to be reasonably accurate.

So, back to my questions:  If I plug in the anemometer, the solar, and the UV to the 6332, can I receive all three of those on a VP2 console?  Or would I also need to buy an Envoy 8X to do that?  It's sounding like it's the latter, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why it would be that way.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »
6332 will support the anemometer only and setup as Wind as there can only be 1 ISS in the system and a 6332 could be used as an ISS but if used as an ISS then the typical Temp/Humidity, rain, wind, UV & solar would also have to connect to it.

A 6332 just used as an anemometer transmitter then there would also be an ISS (standard or otherwise) required for the other standard sensors.

Answer is No even with an Envoy8X   

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
The benefit on any of it would be nothing more than satisfying my curiosity--I have no specific reason that I need to know any of the weather data, much less numbers for solar and UV.  I just want to know.  And I'm leaning away from "just want to know" justifying the price delta between the VP2 and the VP2+, but still wanting to make sure I understand how it would work.  But if I'm going to gather the data at all, I want it to be reasonably accurate.

So, back to my questions:  If I plug in the anemometer, the solar, and the UV to the 6332, can I receive all three of those on a VP2 console?  Or would I also need to buy an Envoy 8X to do that?  It's sounding like it's the latter, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why it would be that way.

I scanned the 6322 installation manual on the Davis website and it did not discuss your situation. Unless you get lucky in this forum with an answer, I would contact Davis support directly and ask them. Another idea is to contact Ryan Wilhour at Scaled Instruments he might know or johnd, a poster in this Forum who knows just about everything there is to know about the Davis product line but he is in Europe -- hopefully in bed thinking and dreaming about a Davis VP3 release date.

All this being said, I don't understand why you need this information (Solar and UV) and jumping through hoops to "cleanse it" for what purpose other than having purer data than the VP2 down the street from you!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline danb35

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
All this being said, I don't understand why you need this information (Solar and UV)
I don't, really.  Of course, the cost delta of the VP2+ over the VP2 is significantly less than the cost to add those two sensors later to the VP2, but I don't think of a particular reason I'd need them, so part of my thought process is that I'd spend less buying them now vs. buying them later, but countering that is the question of whether I'd ever get around to buying them later, or whether I'd even care that I didn't have them.

If I could easily put those sensors in a place where they wouldn't be shaded (and I'm planning that I'd put wind up on the roof using the 6332 anyway, so the extra effort to move the solar/UV sensors would be minimal if it would work the way I think it should), I'd be more inclined to get them on the theory that more information is better.  But @Mattk's answer makes it sound like the 6332 doesn't work in the way I think it should (i.e., that it would transmit whatever's plugged into it, and that data would be received by a suitable receiver), even if I were to also buy an 8X.  That makes the decision a bit easier for me--I can live without that data, and save about $300 on the station.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
I think Matt is probably right but it might make you feel better if you contact Davis support to verify.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:49:20 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
Unfortunately like mentioned console only allows wind piggybacked from separate ISS. 

The UV and solar would work best located atop anemometer mask and plugged into separate ISS and one of the reasons I haven't got the VP2+ all these years because of all the trees and shadows. 
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
Spend your money on the 24hr FARS or the daytime fan!

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 11:21:49 PM »

Hear, hear. I know there are those who will tell you it is a waste of money unless you live in the sun belt, but I can tell you even up at 46.5 degrees north latitude, I have witnessed other passively shielded VP2's nearby that have a 3-4 deg solar induced error on a clear (or mostly clear) day here in the summer. There is one in particular that is less than a mile away and run by an NWS employee. I know it to be accurate otherwise. 

I know it's a PITA (with fan and battery replacement) but go for the 24-hour FARS with the triple shielded design.
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 03:54:49 AM »

What makes you think that an 8X wouldn't do the job? An 8X can - in principle at least - receive 8 ISS units simultaneously, each populated as you wish and hence read all the attached sensors.

Whether the 8X data handling would do what the OP might require is a slightly separate question depending on their exact requirements. And of course the 8X is now officially discontinued, though still readily available while stocks last.

A Meteobridge Pro Red unit (plus whatever that's called in EdSpeak) would of course be another alternative for receiving data from multiple ISS transmitters and should work well, but would need more work on scripting for data handling.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline danb35

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 04:56:54 AM »
That was a given in any event.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 05:33:47 AM »
I agree,

It is a pretty big short coming that Davis could easily address in the console firmware.

My anemometer is about 7m up at the cables extreme; extension cable waiting to be installed....
Solar & UV sensors suffer from long afternoon shadows for an hour or 2 of an afternoon.

Putting the anemometer on wireless is something I've considered, and if I could put Solar & UV up there as well, the decision would be a no brainer.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 06:29:19 AM »
All this being said, I don't understand why you need this information (Solar and UV)
I don't, really.  Of course, the cost delta of the VP2+ over the VP2 is significantly less than the cost to add those two sensors later to the VP2, but I don't think of a particular reason I'd need them,

Having solar for me is a biggy because it produces the current cloud conditions, therefore on my site its has instant conditions, suny, cloudy overcast etc, that is a biggy for me, so solar was a must, UV, thats something that others would perhaps need so i chose that too, it is nice to know that you will burn in XX minutes, i can plan my sunbathing accordingly :D

Another small note, although i do not know the price comparison but, if you cannot afford solar, there is always the solar in a jar route, all you would need is the extra temp station and 1 temp sensor, pick those up for a couple of quid, thats got to be a cheaper alternative and it work very well considering, it can also be doubled up as a night cloud sensor too, i have solar and UV so i m using an extra temp from the leaf station for the night cloud sensor, again, compared to the boltwood etc, its a good cheap alternative. just food for thought.

Just checked, the price for solar and the temp station are the same, so not a cheaper route, thats a shame....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:52:14 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »

With Envoy8X, you can use this kit with any of our sensors including solar radiation, UV, temperature, anemometer, rain and third-party sensors that report in a range of 0-3 volts.

That is a quote from here

Had i known this at the time, i would have gone for the 8x instead of the normal Envoy and got this transmitter for the wind, Solar and UV, would have saved some messing with 3x 10m cables, i am assuming it means all 3 or does it mean one or the other?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
It is a pretty big short coming that Davis could easily address in the console firmware.

Says who? Do you really think if it was that easy that it wouldn't have been done long ago? Everyone can see, including Davis, that there would be significant extra sales of 6332 boxes, solar, UV etc if the one-ISS-only limitation was removed. But apparently it needs a major console revision, not just a firmware update, which hasn't happened thus far.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 09:15:25 AM »
Putting the anemometer on wireless is something I've considered, and if I could put Solar & UV up there as well, the decision would be a no brainer.
Which is exactly what I have done - I had to create a little "relay" device to aggregate the data from the two "ISS's" to appear as a single ISS for the VP2 console. But it has just sat there working away quite happily for many months now. I used a MoteinoUSB, not the cheapest option, but suits my limited electronic skills  ;)
Mark

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »

Says who? Do you really think if it was that easy that it wouldn't have been done long ago? Everyone can see, including Davis, that there would be significant extra sales of 6332 boxes, solar, UV etc if the one-ISS-only limitation was removed. But apparently it needs a major console revision, not just a firmware update, which hasn't happened thus far.

I would like to think a firmware revision would correct the one ISS limitation but you are probably right, it probably is more complicated than that. This is one of many limitations of the current VP2 which is why Davis should create a replacement to address the ISS limitation, improve the rainfall accuracy (sorry Davis, but your "Aerocone" didn't do much to help this issue), color screen on the console, etc., etc. However, until real competition exists on the horizon, Davis has little incentive to do much, which is why folks are cautiously waiting for the release of a supposedly a "great" new product (Atlas Elite) coming in a few months from Accurite.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:30:23 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline danb35

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
I'd like a color console too, but I saw a comment here the other day that got the wheels turning in my head.  I set up Meteotemplate over the weekend, and I have a couple of spare iPads.  I'm thinking I should be able to combine the two into something that approximates a color console readily enough, except for the obvious difference that it doesn't actually receive any signals from the ISS or anything else.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:43 AM »

My limited experience with Firmware, software & writing code for Microcontrollers over the years sees it as viable, if the decision to do it is made.

It's just reading data streams & parsing them on different RF channels.
Ignore the Solar & UV values from the first ISS if those functions are assigned to an alternate "ISS".

Data collisions would be non existent as they are on different channels.

Even my small collection of automation micros can manage that all talking two ways on a single RF channel.
There's data/transmission collisions at times between the master, 6 slaves, & 2 monitors, which still doesn't matter as CRC & Checksums take care of it.

It's more a simple matter of Davis having little desire to put R&D$'s into the idea.

More to the Point;
Do you really think it's that complicated
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:14:07 AM by Phil23 »

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 12:20:18 AM »
Which is exactly what I have done - I had to create a little "relay" device to aggregate the data from the two "ISS's" to appear as a single ISS for the VP2 console. But it has just sat there working away quite happily for many months now. I used a MoteinoUSB, not the cheapest option, but suits my limited electronic skills  ;)

Would be really interested in a bit more details on you solution.

I Have a bit of experience in the Arduino world, but mostly my projects are PIC based.
Don't think I'd have much problem getting a Arduino solution going though.

I'd assume your RF side might not be quite compatible with my stuff though, given that the Aussie gear operates on a different band.

Thanks

Phil.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »
You will be using 915-928 MHz same as the US model - just not quite as wide a spectrum, the code takes care of that. I am using a fork of the VP Tools code.

My fork isnt up to date unfortunately - I need to spend some time to clean up my numerous local copies and push an update. But in the Examples folder you will see an older version of my relay code.

Basic use: Define your frequency domain (Country), what transmitter ids you want to receive, and what id you want to rebroadcast the data on. That's it, the relay will respond to a limited set of commands over the serial interface (more in my local copy!) so you can see the data being received and transmitted, reception stats etc. I recommend turning all that off once it is running in earnest as serial comms are quite processor consuming.
Mark

anything