Author Topic: Sensor Instruments Nimbus / broken / replacement buttons  (Read 354 times)

Offline WX4GPS

• North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station
Sensor Instruments Nimbus / broken / replacement buttons
« on: April 25, 2020, 01:43:00 PM »
Does anyone know first off, how open or remove the circuitry inside the Nimbus Cubs, I have a precipitation monitor that one of the buttons broke off and its still useable as the white stem that the button pushed on still function but its broke or shortened.   I am wondering if anyone know or has attempted to replace one of these switches.  Without knowing what I am looking for I find things that look close, like a digikey BB15AP-HA. But if I knew how to get to the switch I could see what exactly they are using.

Sincerely,

Ron Malinowski
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline WX4GPS

Well. after much chagrin, the way you get into the Nimbus wooden boxes is by releasing the 4 screws that are in the rubber feet.  Then the unit just slides right out of the box.  I identified the following:

mometary SPDT switch with white plunger as C&K part # 8125SHZBE Switch, P/B, Sealed, SPDT, ON-MOM, Plunger, .250" Flat Bushing, 0.4A, 20VAC/VDC, Solder at $4.04 at Alliedelec.com, and

there was 2 types of buttons used by Sensor Instruments: a small very boxy round button and a fatter concaved button, I am not sure which came first, but my temperature monitor and precipitation monitor have the smaller buttons and the wind sensor and barometer have the concaved buttons.  I noted my PL2 which I now I bought last in 2004, has the small buttons and also use the same 8125 C&K...  so note what you are after regarding the button, they both fit the same plunger:

small buttons for the Nimbs wooden cubes is C&K park 801802000 at 47 cents apiece (Accessory; Cap; P/B; Rnd; Blk; 8020; 8060; E010; E020; L; TP Series; 7.88mm Dia x 6.35mm H (This was what was used on my precipitation gauge circa serial number PC174) this is a smaller button then found on my wind monitor and barometer.  I found that bigger recessed button also:

concaved larger button is C&K part # 752702000 which is Round, Concave Pushbutton Switch Cap Black Slip On its .25" tall and .375" wide and pushed on the .122 plunger.    I believe these may have been used fIm ordering enough to make all my buttons match.

I did not take out a switch, but they are also C&K, if anyone ever needs replacement of those and obtains the replacement on those, they can post that below.

I am also purchasing a replacement battery case for the 4 C cells also available at allied as their stock # 70640173 for $1.99 each

Hope this is helpful.

73 de WX4GPS, Ron
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:34:58 PM by WX4GPS »
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

anything