Author Topic: Reduce upload data for Vantage Pro2  (Read 777 times)

Offline pauldixon

Reduce upload data for Vantage Pro2
« on: April 30, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
Hi,

I have recently put my Vantage Pro2 on a cell plan for uploading to the internet.  I had assumed the data consumption would be low but it seems way higher than expected.  I thought maybe 1mb per day but it seems like 50mb per day or more.

What settings should I be changing in Weatherlink PC to reduce the amount of uploaded data?  Ideally I could only update weatherlink.com every 5 or 10min from 6am to 9pm?

Thx,

Paul

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Reduce upload data for Vantage Pro2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 09:05:49 PM »
How are you measuring the bandwidth used? If you are measuring the bandwidth used by the PC, are you 100% sure it's solely the weather link application using the excessive bandwidth?

If I was trying to limit data usage as much as possible I'd probably go with a WLL or one of the console wifi adapters. Overhead data usage on an embedded system will typically be much lower than a PC.

I'd also be sure to turn off any "live" or rapid fire transmissions.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:19:32 PM »
Just to clarify you are uploading to Weatherlink.com via a PC running WeatherLinkPC and you are using a serial or USB logger?

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
Even more with Cumulus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 09:53:08 AM »
For years I have used the original Cumulus application to upload weather data from my VP2 both to Weather Underground and to my own Cumulus built website.  Last time I measured it that ran to about 5 GB per month.  That is with a five-minute update interval and much of that data is made up of fresh copies of images of graphs.

Depending on what you use, it can really add up.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »
I upload to about 13 online services. I do it with a Meteobridge. My data consumption is 9 MB per day including WU rapidfire. If you are using a PC then its the PC that is creating all your overhead. Therefore if you are looking to cut data useage, then don't look at your weather uploads, but rather look at your system...or better yet change it out for some other system that uses a different operating system.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline pauldixon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
How are you measuring the bandwidth used? If you are measuring the bandwidth used by the PC, are you 100% sure it's solely the weather link application using the excessive bandwidth?

I am measuring based on my internet data provider

Just to clarify you are uploading to Weatherlink.com via a PC running WeatherLinkPC and you are using a serial or USB logger?

That's correct.  Uploading to weatherlink.com via PC running Weatherlink PC which is connected to my console with a serial logger

I upload to about 13 online services. I do it with a Meteobridge. My data consumption is 9 MB per day including WU rapidfire. If you are using a PC then its the PC that is creating all your overhead. Therefore if you are looking to cut data useage, then don't look at your weather uploads, but rather look at your system...or better yet change it out for some other system that uses a different operating system.

Agreed.  I think its mostly my PC.  I've tried to reduce all services and use the firewall to block as much as I can.

I spoke with Davis and they said my data consumption should be 30mb a month but that my data logger might need a firmware upgrade if it is transmitting more data than it should.  I'll see if that helps. Otherwise I might just buy a weatherlink live for uploading as there is a payback of less data being consumed...

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 09:29:39 AM »
Just block every outbound connection in Windows firewall that's not a weather upload site... Windows, even idle, does communicate a lot over the internet.

Offline davidg_nz

• Sandy Bay Weather
Re: Even more with Cumulus
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 11:57:50 PM »
For years I have used the original Cumulus application to upload weather data from my VP2 both to Weather Underground and to my own Cumulus built website.  Last time I measured it that ran to about 5 GB per month.  That is with a five-minute update interval and much of that data is made up of fresh copies of images of graphs.

Depending on what you use, it can really add up.

This is one of the reasons why I ended up building my own software. I've got a weather station in a remote location on an expensive ($20/GB IIRC) cellular connection. It runs with a 2.5 second update interval and uses somewhere around 100-200MB/month. The desktop app gets live data, can plot arbitrary graphs, export data, run reports, etc. The website gets live data plus has its selection of graphs. No compromises - it all works exactly like the station in my back yard.

The cost of course is my time. If I want a feature I've got to build it myself.
Port Charles, Coromandel, New Zealand | Wired Vantage Pro2+, Ubiquiti AirCam
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand | Wireless Vantage Pro2+, 24h FARS, Leaf+Soil Station, Envoy

anything