Author Topic: After a forced upgrade to WL2.0, where is WeatherLinkIP wx data?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
After a forced upgrade to WL2.0, where is WeatherLinkIP wx data?
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
After a forced upgrade to WL2.0, is the WeatherLinkIP wx data that used to be downloadable from Davis into Weatherlink 6.03 software going to be available? Currently it says no new data to download.

I received an email from Davis stating:
"Your device’s WeatherLink 1.0 historical data is currently being moved to WeatherLink 2.0. You will receive an email when the data is available in your account. " which I took to mean the WeatherLinkIP wx data would be downloadable as before.

So how long does it take to get the data moved?

I've examined the WL1.0 map and it looks as though stations are slowly blinking out of existence.

Frankly I'm not thrilled by WL2.0 and I'm NOT EVER planning to upgrade from basic.  I'm happy to keep MY data on MY computer.  I considering options to simply cut Davis off from uploads.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: After a forced upgrade to WL2.0, where is WeatherLinkIP wx data?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:31:58 PM »
You require WL 6.0.4 upgrade which can be downloaded from Davis, note it is an upgrade not a full version. Once you install it go into Setup>Communications port and enter your Device DID in the web download box and the password is the password of your WL 2.0 user account

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:41:48 AM »
OK thanks!  That works after I removed the semicolons from the DeviceID.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 12:44:20 AM »
OK thanks!  That works after I removed the semicolons from the DeviceID.

Will also work with 6.0.3 but it's not all that intuitive 

Offline Onepk

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Hi,  I cannot see any other references to problems encountered with the migration to 2.0 so I wondered if any of you can help. 

Two days ago I asked Davis support to enable my 2.0 account and received the reply " Account with DID xxxxxx was deleted successfully.  Please make arrangements to go to our new web site at www.weatherlink.com web site and after you register you can add this device."

I did this (using previous v1.0 login details) and successfully registered the device but I cannot get any data uploaded on WeatherLinkIP.  My local console is displaying data Ok and the green light on the logger is on.

I have updated to WL 6.0.4 (so can download older data, which was also initially a problem), rebooted the console and the data-logger internet connection (as suggested in the online help) but still no data upload.

I would be really grateful to know of anything I may have missed since Davis support are no longer replying to my enquiries.   Thanks

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »
On the forced upgrades, there is a bit of a time lag before Davis has your data converted.  In my case, my WLIPs had just over seven years of data to move from WL1.0 to WL2.0. I think that is the max data Davis has recorded, because one WLIP was operational for 9.5 years.

Anyhow, how long has it been since you converted?

Oh, just to be sure here, you did change the Web Download DID entry in Weatherlink 6.04 to your WLIP's DID? Right?  Just checking.
--Dave--

Offline Onepk

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
Thanks for replying.  Yes I switched to using the DID so that I was able to download data taken and uploaded before the forced switch to 2.0.  But since I installed my device under my 2.0 account I have been unable to upload data.  The displays on my page (when logged in) have a warning which just says "last updated xxxxx" where xxxxx is the date and time at which I installed my device under 2.0 (2 days ago).  I am assuming all the data since then is being lost.

PS.  I just had a reply from Davis which only says "call our tech support" but I can't do that as I'm in the UK.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas at the present. Edit: I guess you could email Davis instead of calling, but the response time will be slow.

Where is that warning displayed?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:07:46 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Offline Onepk

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »
OK, thanks.  The warnings are in a roll-over icon on the corner of each graph.  My station is also grayed out on the map display - along with a few others in the area I note.  Hard to say whether that's through errors at the stations or lack of (software) maintenance at their sites.  There is one that is working not too far away so I may go track them down and see how they managed to stay live!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
@Onepk: This sounds like a potential migration issue, though it's difficult to be sure of the details.But it's probably something that's best solved offline rather than in a public forum. Don't know whether or not you purchased the station from us (Prodata) - if so then contact us via our Spiceworks support portal please. If it wasn't us then suggest that you contact your supplying dealer and get them to pursue the issue with Davis.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
Hi,  I cannot see any other references to problems encountered with the migration to 2.0 so I wondered if any of you can help. 

Two days ago I asked Davis support to enable my 2.0 account and received the reply " Account with DID xxxxxx was deleted successfully.  Please make arrangements to go to our new web site at www.weatherlink.com web site and after you register you can add this device."

I did this (using previous v1.0 login details) and successfully registered the device but I cannot get any data uploaded on WeatherLinkIP.  My local console is displaying data Ok and the green light on the logger is on.

I have updated to WL 6.0.4 (so can download older data, which was also initially a problem), rebooted the console and the data-logger internet connection (as suggested in the online help) but still no data upload.

I would be really grateful to know of anything I may have missed since Davis support are no longer replying to my enquiries.   Thanks
Just a few wild ideas:

1. Are you 100% sure that you entered the DID correctly?
Maybe you switched two numbers in the DID when entering it? F.i. 001D0A004B70 is a valid DID but 001D0A004B07 also
This would mean that your wl.com v2 userid will be waiting forever to see the data arrive.
Every WLIP will continue to upload and the data is stored at  wl.com, but to get at the data, the correct DID is essential.

2. You mention: the green light on the logger is on.
So is the green light  flashing? When it is steady it is not uploading to weatherlink.com. It should flash wheh receiving and transmitting the data from the LAN

Wim

Offline Onepk

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:56:14 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

Wim - only ever cut 'n' pasted DID but have I've checked manually and it's OK.  Sorry, I was careless with the green light description - it does indeed blink (rather than flash I would say!).

JohnD - yes I did purchase from you so will contact Prodata directly.

Offline Onepk

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
For info... problem solved!

For some reason the baud rate had switched (been set?) to 14400.  When I reset to 19200 the backlog cleared (not even any lost data over the last few days).  Not sure how that happened since I didn’t fiddle with the console until after the data upload problem had been  apparent for a while.  But no doubt the most obvious cause was an inadvertent button press while the console was in setup mode – is there any other known way it could have been changed?

Thanks for all previous suggestions.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
So glad you could get your Davis uploads/downloads working.  I guess I assumed you were using TCP/IP to communicate rather than serial or modem settings.  It is true what they say about "assume".
--Dave--

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »
So glad you could get your Davis uploads/downloads working.  I guess I assumed you were using TCP/IP to communicate rather than serial or modem settings.  It is true what they say about "assume".

Even using WLIP and TCP/IP the console baud rate has to be 19200

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 10:59:02 PM »

That console baud rate is greyed out on TCP/IP and hence not applicable like any other greyed out setting anywhere else.  Note the updated help file in WL6.04 does NOT STIPULATE that the baud rate has to be 19200 for TCP/IP to work. I'm just stating the facts as Onepk or anyone else would have seen them.
--Dave--

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 12:23:52 AM »

That console baud rate is greyed out on TCP/IP and hence not applicable like any other greyed out setting anywhere else.  Note the updated help file in WL6.04 does NOT STIPULATE that the baud rate has to be 19200 for TCP/IP to work. I'm just stating the facts as Onepk or anyone else would have seen them.

The console baud rate might be greyed but that section is only applicable to the pure serial logger using a Com port when the serial button is on. The WLIP although being TCP/IP talks from the logger to the console at 19200 baud and if you don't believe this then if you are using WLIP simply change the baud rate on your console to some thing different and you will then know the real facts first hand.   

In doing this you may also note the baud rate of the console and the baud rate set for the serial port in WL software are not automatically cross linked, these a 2 individual settings which must be matched manually when using a serial logger and does not necessarily need to be 19200. Using a WLIP then the Console/Envoy baud rate MUST be 19200, the baud rate showing in the WL software as greyed out with the TCP/IP button on is irrelevant   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:30:46 AM by Mattk »

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 01:22:24 AM »
The requirement of 19200 baud is not stated anywhere for TCP/IP.  That's a fact.  The console manual says just leave it at 19200 if using ethernet. It doesn't state that it HAS to be 19200.

OK, I finally found "This value (19200) is required when using WeatherLinkIP" in the Weatherlink manual. But before that it says "The default value for the Baud Rate setting is 19200, and in most cases will not need to be changed." which sounds optional.

Note: I have paper manuals that predate the WLIP --  Rev. C March 30, 2006.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:20:10 AM by d_l »
--Dave--

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 03:53:48 AM »
The requirement of 19200 baud is not stated anywhere for TCP/IP.  That's a fact.  The console manual says just leave it at 19200 if using ethernet. It doesn't state that it HAS to be 19200.

OK, I finally found "This value (19200) is required when using WeatherLinkIP" in the Weatherlink manual. But before that it says "The default value for the Baud Rate setting is 19200, and in most cases will not need to be changed." which sounds optional.

Note: I have paper manuals that predate the WLIP --  Rev. C March 30, 2006.

Like I mentioned change it and see how optional it is :) What you might not understand is that 19200 baud is hard wired into the WLIP which can not be user changed unlike the serial loggers which could be changed especially when running dial up at 9600.

Offline Onepk

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 05:13:31 AM »
As the "victim" (?!) here can I just add that that last few exchanges illustrate the situation perfectly and as a result I hope it'll help others that come across the same problem.  My summary would be:
a) even though data download was possible the upload blockage problem was simply an incorrect baud rate set on the console
b) the cause of the problem and its solution was maybe so obvious it didn't feature in any of the front-line (Davis or forum) suggestions for fixes
c) the reason the bleedin' obvious  - as Basil Fawlty might say - cause was not that obvious is that, for anyone not knowing the technicality that the "19200 baud is hard wired into the WLIP", nothing in (my reading of) the manuals screamed at me that a BR of 19200 was required rather than a choice. I had noticed in scanning through the console setup that a BR of 14400 was set, but thought nothing of it.  A change of a few words in the manual would sort that out.

Finally (for UK users particularly) I should add that the solution first came to light through the efforts of John at Prodata Weather Systems (vendors of Weatherlink in UK) in his contacts with Davis. Not the first time he's helped with a (thankfully temporary) show-stopping event in the 6 years I've owned the system, so thanks again for that and 5* for customer service!

anything