Author Topic: Setting up a new weather station  (Read 1427 times)

Offline tlveik

Setting up a new weather station
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
Never had a weather station before and looking into getting one.  I haven't purchased anything yet but am looking at the Vantage Pro2 modle 6153.

Have been reading lots of posts and learning a lot but still have some questions.

Option 1.  Personal use only, no internet posting.  I think this one is pretty straight forward.  Purchase the Vantage Pro2 and the Davis USB data logger with software.  The display console would go in my home office next to my PC.

Option 2.  This isn't a high priority for me, but if I can add internet posting to Weather Underground, why not.  The display console would go in my home office next to my PC.  That is not where my router is however.

Question 1.  Would the USB data logger along with the software do internet posting as long as I left the PC on 24-7?

Question 2.  If I want to turn the PC off, is that where the Ambient WeatherBridge comes in?  Or are there other options, Davis or otherwise?  A WIFI connection would be important.

Question 3.  Does WeatherBridge replace the Davis data logger or does it still need the Davis data logger?

Tom

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Re: Setting up a new weather station
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
The datalogger only logs and stores data, it does not upload it to the Internet. You need the datalogger AND a computer or other device to read the datalogger to upload to the Internet. There are lots of ways to accomplish this. Most of them require running software on a computer and leaving that on 24/7. You can also get devices like the Meteobridge (least expensive) or Abient WeatherBridge that will upload to the Internet without requiring the use of a PC.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »
The datalogger only logs and stores data, it does not upload it to the Internet. You need the datalogger AND a computer or other device to read the datalogger to upload to the Internet.

NB That's certainly true of the USB (or serial) loggers, but don't forget that the IP logger can upload direct to weatherlink.com and also eg WU when cabled direct to a router or network access point and without involving a 24/7 PC (but $$).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:26:09 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline tlveik

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:16:39 PM »
NB That's certainly true of the USB (or serial) loggers, but don't forget that the IP logger can upload direct to weatherlink.com and also eg WU when cabled direct to a router or network access point and without involving a 24/7 PC (but $$).
Does the IP logger then also send data to the PC program through a network connection?  The problem with that idea is that my display will not be in the same room as my router so network cabling will be difficult.

You can also get devices like the Meteobridge (least expensive) or Abient WeatherBridge that will upload to the Internet without requiring the use of a PC.
If I get the USB logger and plug that into the WeatherBridge, how do you then get the data into the PC program?  Does the Wifi in the WeatherBridge communicate with both the internet and the PC program?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »
Does the IP logger then also send data to the PC program through a network connection?  The problem with that idea is that my display will not be in the same room as my router so network cabling will be difficult.

Well in a way it will send data typically at the request of a PC program connected via a network. By "display" do you mean console or PC based? What WiFi options do you have?

If I get the USB logger and plug that into the WeatherBridge, how do you then get the data into the PC program?  Does the Wifi in the WeatherBridge communicate with both the internet and the PC program?

Answer would be Yes/No/maybe/probably. What PC Program would you be referring? WeatherBridge would communicate with the internet and a PC via your router be it via cable or wireless.

Offline tlveik

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
Answer would be Yes/No/maybe/probably.
That's what makes this all so confusing.   :-)

By "display" I mean the Davis console.  By "PC program" I mean the program that comes with the Davis logger.

I would have the Davis console in the same room as my PC.  My router with Wifi is in a different room that is difficult to run a network cable to.  So it seems like the best option is to connect the Davis logger to WeatherBridge which will communicate with the router via Wifi.  So can you plug a USB hub into the WeatherBridge so both the Davis logger and the PC running Davies logger program can both get the data?

Tom

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster

Offline tlveik

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
To get "rapid fire" updates to WU with a Vantage Vue, is a PC needed? Does the Envoy allow for such uploading intervals? I installed my Vue unit over the weekend and am awaiting Belfryboy's logger. I am currently running my old LaCrosse station, connected to my PC, which I have on 24/7. I do not have an issue leaving my PC on all the time, but I was looking for a way to move the console out of my office, where the room temperature is generally higher because the tower tends to generate heat.

Thanks, in advance, for the input.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)