Author Topic: THSW  (Read 4290 times)

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
THSW
« on: November 24, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »
I have been told that my THSW data from my weather station can be viewed on-line but not through the Weatherlink software, Can anyone suggest the reason why this is so and how to fix this so it can be viewed through the Weatherlink software, and how do I view this information on-line and not through the Weatherlink software?.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: THSW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 02:43:31 AM »
Is the Lat & Long setting ok?

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 03:14:22 AM »
Hi Mattk,

Thank you for your reply.

I got my latitude and longitude settings from Google Earth by setting the pointer right on the location of my weather station.
Do you know how I can view my data online without Weatherlink?.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:04:39 AM »
Not stated but guess this must be a VP2 - either Plus or with additional solar sensor? If so then is it definitely configured as a Plus station locally?

I think there's some other obscure reason why THSW might not show requiring a reset somewhere but can't call to mind exactly what right now.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:59:59 AM »
Hi Mattk,

Thank you for your reply.

I got my latitude and longitude settings from Google Earth by setting the pointer right on the location of my weather station.
Do you know how I can view my data online without Weatherlink?.

So when you say WeatherLink, are you referring your local PC installed WeatherLink software or WeatherLink.com? WeatherLink.com has a Lat/long value and WeatherLink has 2 separate Lat/Long values, 1 under Setup and 1 under NOAA Setup, 1 of these (forget which one) in WeatherLink controls the THSW value, do you have Lat/Long set for both places in WeatherLink  . If you open the Browse window then under the Browse tab you will see a Recalculate THSW index option which must be run if you input or change the Lat/Long.

Because THSW is a computed value just maybe because WeatherLink.com has a lat/Long value then THSW can be computed on the Davis end as the other individual values are specifically uploaded, if WeatherLink has no Lat/Long set, which ever one it is then no THSW can be computed.

That's my thoughts.     

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:53:02 AM »
Hi Mattk,

I have checked both setup and NOAH on the software and both have the lat. and long. setup. Also on the web the lat. and long. is also set.

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 07:47:07 AM »
Hi Mattk,

On the Vantage summary window there is no THSW index, but if I now go to the browse window there are now the last two updates have a reading in the THSW column.
So I guess there will be never be a THSW index on summary window which updates in real time where as the browse window only updates every half hour.
But at least it displays now in the browse window when this THSW column was always empty before. But the summary window does have the THW index which is always displayed.
So this is as good as it gets I presume now with the THSW index only on the browse window?.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
Please answer whether you are talking about the availability on WeatherLink.com?  Or locally using you WeatherLink software on your PC?

For a long discussion from the past, see http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3169.msg24504#msg24504

And for reference, there is no "tag" for Current THSW - but there is a "tag" for current THW. 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
I have been told that my THSW data from my weather station can be viewed on-line but not through the Weatherlink software, Can anyone suggest the reason why this is so and how to fix this so it can be viewed through the Weatherlink software, and how do I view this information on-line and not through the Weatherlink software?.

that is correct.  In order to see it on your computer, you need to go to a 3rd party software, such as Weathersnoop if you have a mac  or  Weather Display if you have a PC or a Mac.  Weathercat isn't interested.

I think the Weatherlink software that comes with the logger was under the assumption that many people wouldn't opt out for the VP2 Plus versions, that is with the solar and UV sensors,  So they wrote their software for not having those two sensors.

Davisnet has not improved their software for at least 10 or more years.    It doesn't matter which logger you use, serial, usb, ip  but you need one and the drivers so your computer will recognize the driver.  The weatherlink software comes with the logger.  I would install the logger of your choice, connect it to your computer and get the computer to run weatherlink  then add the other software.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
Not stated but guess this must be a VP2 - either Plus or with additional solar sensor? If so then is it definitely configured as a Plus station locally?

I think there's some other obscure reason why THSW might not show requiring a reset somewhere but can't call to mind exactly what right now.

You need the solar sensor to use THSW otherwise you get THW.  (THSW  is temperature, humidity, solar and wind)  THW is temperature humidity and wind.   

The Weatherlink software is weak in the poop.  I have asked for maybe 20 years now for improvement, and they have had some bug fixes but 6.0.3 was the last update.  I am guessing they do not have an on board software person and have put their push into their environmental for web interface  .

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
...I am guessing they [Davis] do not have an on board software person and have put their push into their environmental for web interface  .

Davis see the future as largely online, hence their emphasis on that approach. More news imminently AIUI.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
...I am guessing they [Davis] do not have an on board software person and have put their push into their environmental for web interface  .

Davis see the future as largely online, hence their emphasis on that approach. More news imminently AIUI.
When a company has the potential for growth, the shouldn't sit back and let their meat and potatoes people fester.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
I'm not defending the WeatherLink software, or the lack of development, but...

I think the Weatherlink software that comes with the logger was under the assumption that many people wouldn't opt out for the VP2 Plus versions, that is with the solar and UV sensors,  So they wrote their software for not having those two sensors.

WeatherLink software handles the solar and UV sensors just fine, with the single exception of not having a "tag" for current THSW.  There are tags for daily high and yearly high solar and UV.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
I'm not defending the WeatherLink software, or the lack of development, but...

I use the THSW to get the wife to let me turn on the air conditioner in the summer,  It is always higher than the heat index.   One further thing with Weatherlink. It provides for 8 stations, 1 being the ISS , but it doesn't provide any info on the other 7 sensors, if you would be like me and have a fully populated station.

for Me I have 1 is the iss, 2=soil station; 3= attic temp/humid 4=soil temperature (surface that is) 5  is basement, 6 is wind - the wireless anemometer, 7 is the crawl space under the family room and 8 is the lady in waiting (not assigned).  I get  stations 1,2,3,5  and that is about it

WeatherLink software handles the solar and UV sensors just fine, with the single exception of not having a "tag" for current THSW.  There are tags for daily high and yearly high solar and UV.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
When a company has the potential for growth, the shouldn't sit back and let their meat and potatoes people fester.

I think you've made your own point. I doubt that Davis currently sees us, the hobbyist market, as their "meat and potatoes people".

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

I think you've made your own point. I doubt that Davis currently sees us, the hobbyist market, as their "meat and potatoes people".

Yeah,  that being said and back to the original question, should the original poster have a solar sensor, the  weatherlink set up, should look to Weathersnoop, Weatherdisplay and I am sure others are out there to get the THSW data.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
As previously noted by Dalecoy WeatherLink software handles THSW value fine and obviously to get THSW then one will need a Solar sensor, which should be a given as well as Temp Humidity, Wind, Lat/Long and Date/time.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
for the mac, it doesn't do anything.
as far as Weatherlink showing THSW, it doesn't.  it shows THW.  I just loaded up the PC version and did a screen shot.  look and you will see thsw isn't listed with weatherlink.  Dalecoy must have been confused.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
as far as Weatherlink showing THSW, it doesn't.  it shows THW.  I just loaded up the PC version and did a screen shot.  look and you will see thsw isn't listed with weatherlink.  Dalecoy must have been confused.

Me?  Confused?

I said it doesn't have a "tag" for Current THSW.  That implies also that it doesn't show THSW in the Current Summary.

But try "Browse the Station Data" to see the THSW for every captured download.

Or try "Make a Plot" and select THSW Index to see a complete plot of the THSW values.

Or maybe look at my site info at   http://www.thecoys.net/weather/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm
Note that it shows THW in the current data, but also has Today's High TSHW and the Yearly High TSHW.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
In answering my own question I've re-read the original post and decided WeatherLink.com is not part of the question, but if the OP did intend then come forward and better explain the question. In any case as per Aardvark's post above THSW doesn't get a mention on WeatherLink.com so one reason I don't believe WeatherLink.com comes into the question.

As for WeatherLink (the software) THSW is a derived value dependent on multiple inputs and is logged in the data records on a per the set archive interval, otherwise for template or image use is available as a Historical image or Daily, Monthly or Yearly tag.

So no there is no real time THSW, Why? Apart from not being available not sure, I will think some more why this is the case.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 08:17:07 PM »

So no there is no real time THSW, Why? Apart from not being available not sure, I will think some more why this is the case.

Per my reply just above, THSW is clearly computed for each archive data set, and is available as a plot in WeatherLink.  The omission in other places (summary, and tag) is an omission in the software that could be fixed by Davis.  That was reported to Davis several years ago.

Offline raldridge

• Glenorchy
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
Thanks very much for all the replies that this topic has produced recently.

Just checked the browse page in the Weatherlink software and all columns now have data in them.
My weather station just for the record is the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus.

And now how to close this topic, is that what Lock is for, or do I just unsubscribe from the topic using the link emailed to me?.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »

And now how to close this topic, is that what Lock is for, or do I just unsubscribe from the topic using the link emailed to me?.

Glad to help.  And there's no need to do anything about the topic - if you do not unsubscribe, then if somebody posts to this topic a few years from now, you will get email.  Or perhaps Aardvark (or someone else) has something to add.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:31:01 PM by dalecoy »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
THSW shows on a web page. I have a solar sensor.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »

Glad to help.  And there's no need to do anything about the topic - if you do not unsubscribe, then if somebody posts to this topic a few years from now, you will get email.  Or perhaps Aardvark (or someone else) has something to add.

Naw, I am done.  In a few years I plan to have won the lottery and happily in some place warm. On the other hand I could die and definitely be in some place warm.  Good luck with your station, software and whatever floats yer boat.