Author Topic: Weatherlink shuts down.  (Read 3475 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Weatherlink shuts down.
« on: October 11, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
I have a new Vantage Vue at my other house about 15 miles away from my residence.  It reports to WL via a data logger (a new one).

3 times now, the station has stopped reporting because WL either closed or crashed.  The capable desktop computer there has been set to never go into sleep mode.
It's running Windows 10.

What setting, or whatever, can be causing this to happen?  I have the same setup here at my residence for my Davis Pro II.  I have the WL software here and Windows 10.  I am protected here against computer shutdowns because I also have a Meteobridge box that intercepts the wireless reporting station and puts the data on the Internet.

However, even though this computer at residence goes into sleep mode, the WL software has not just stopped running.

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
Re: Weatherlink shuts down.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:44:05 PM »
It's running Windows 10.
The dreaded update crawl and re-boot, even if you think you've found a way say NO ?
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
3 times now, the station has stopped reporting because WL either closed or crashed. 

We run a batch file that checks and relaunches WL if it hangs/closes itself every X minutes. So sometimes i go in the office and see 4-5 dead duplicates and 1 WL running well. haha.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
I did the same with a laptop at model plane field since the Cell stick would knock off after about two days. Dropped a batch file onto it and hit the go button. Reboot every 24 hours.

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issue as the OP ! I've tried 3 different computers with two different weather stations (Vue and Pro2) and the issue still persists, the only constant bit of hardware is the USB/weatherlink cable between the console and my PC.

Any idea what the cause is ?

How would I run a 'batch' file ?

Any help appreciated.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »
Here's a full build of 6.0.3 should you choose to try another.

http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/weather/software/WL_6_0_3_fullinstall/6_0_3_full_install.zip

Hi,

Are you suggesting the issue is caused by my 6.0.3 software ??

Thanks

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »
Here's a full build of 6.0.3 should you choose to try another.

http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/weather/software/WL_6_0_3_fullinstall/6_0_3_full_install.zip

Hi,

Are you suggesting the issue is caused by my 6.0.3 software ??

Thanks
I have no idea. I merely offered this option should you wish to try. Perhaps your WL has become corrupt somehow.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 04:31:28 AM »
This thread is becoming slightly confused - it's not obvious as to the exact issue that different posters have. IME a outright crash of WL for Windows is very rare indeed (unless eg one of the settings files has somehow got corrupted), although of course there will be no automatic restart of WLfW if Windows has decided of its own volition to close Weatherlink and run a Windows update.

It's always worth looking for a text file called download.log in the Weatherlink folder which keeps a log of attempted download actions and issues - this often gives a clue as to the cause.

If the issue is that communication has dropped out with a USB logger then this is a well-known issue with a variety of possible fixes.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »
This thread is becoming slightly confused - it's not obvious as to the exact issue that different posters have. IME a outright crash of WL for Windows is very rare indeed (unless eg one of the settings files has somehow got corrupted), although of course there will be no automatic restart of WLfW if Windows has decided of its own volition to close Weatherlink and run a Windows update.

It's always worth looking for a text file called download.log in the Weatherlink folder which keeps a log of attempted download actions and issues - this often gives a clue as to the cause.

If the issue is that communication has dropped out with a USB logger then this is a well-known issue with a variety of possible fixes.

Hi Johnd,

Apologies, I should have been clearer as to what my specific issue was. In summary the WL software on my PC closes down without me physically closing it down. This has continued to happen on various different PC's with 2 different Davis weather stations.

I've looked and can't find the download.log you mention ?

If the communication had dropped out with the USB logger surely that would not cause the WL software to close down ?

To clarify my issue is identical to the OP, any help to resolve would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
You can also do Ctrl+L in Weatherlink to pull the download log.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »
Take this for what it's worth as I am not programmer, software developer etc.
I used WL exclusively for many years. Out of the blue it would either shut down or get some error like it was 200 degrees F. Could never figure out why but it would go back to working just fine after restarting and correcting errors. Then the inevitable error would show up again and stop working. 
I finally gave up on it and went to Cumulus. I can only count 1 time that Cumulus shut down.
I just think it's old software that needs to be canned and and new version should be developed.
But, Davis is in the hardware business, not software so I think they will just keep adding more features like WL.com, expansion modules etc.
 I will say that since now  I use the wifi logger I just start it up once a week to download data then shut it down. Have always liked the WL graphs.
Just my 2 cents.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 06:21:31 PM »
Same here.  I used Startwatch (now free) to restart it.  But since moving to Meteobrdige I no longer have an uptime issue.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherRick2

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
My Weather link shuts down sporadically as well.  Sometimes once or twice a day. I looked at the Windows 7 Event Viewer and found this error and explanation below, unfortunately I don't understand what it means or how to fix it.

Any ideas or if there is an update that addresses this?

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>100</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-08-16T19:31:37.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>488545</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>Admin-PC</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>WeatherLink 6.0.5.exe</Data>
  <Data>6.0.5.0</Data>
  <Data>5b638b21</Data>
  <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
  <Data>6.1.7601.24545</Data>
  <Data>5e0eb751</Data>
  <Data>c0000374</Data>
  <Data>000ceaeb</Data>
  <Data>278c</Data>
  <Data>01d674037108d96c</Data>
  <Data>C:\WeatherLink\WeatherLink 6.0.5.exe</Data>
  <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>
  <Data>19aa2b60-dff7-11ea-9ff8-c86000cbec0f</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Offline richmitc

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 08:31:19 AM »
Just to add some information...

My WeatherLink 6.0.5 was crashing at least once daily.  I found that if don't start the strip charts, it doesn't crash.  I thought folks might be interested.

Also, I found that if WeatherLink was running, the monitors would not turn off automatically.  I found that if I minimize WeatherLink and use WindowKey-L to lock, the monitors will turn off appropriately.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 09:39:20 AM »
I set up my current system that you see in my signature in August of 2020. I've never had a single problem. I've stayed current with my data even during several extended power outages.

My suggestion is to go with the Davis WeatherLink Live 6100.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »
Historically has very little to do with WeatherLink (as such) as when computers were not temperamental (unlike Win10) issues like this were a non event   

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 10:14:22 PM »
Maybe this will help maybe not... I had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago and found this to be origin of the problem:
  • MS Windows had a drive problem with the USB Serial Dongle after a bad update.
  • Correcting the driver problem solved the immediate problem but the damage was already done.
  • I then checked my data files and the current month was several megabytes (maybe even a gigabyte if remember correctly).
  • I was facing this problem at the end of the current month and so killing off the month would have meant losing data. I do downloads every five minutes so I after the 8th day I would have been out of luck.
  • I found a back-up (done daily for me by MS File history) that was the traditional 700ish sized file.
  • I deleted the bad month dropped in the non-corrupt version of the month and let it download missing date and times.

The corrupt file was causing a memory leak of the WL exe.... Hope this helps and feel free to ask for a more specific reply

Randall
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:20:26 PM by Randall Kayfes »

anything