Author Topic: I'm SO Confused! Getting Weather Info To the Web  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Reverie

I'm SO Confused! Getting Weather Info To the Web
« on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »
I recently purchased and installed a WS-2080A from Ambient Weather.  I really like this unit and it is doing a great job of reporting my weather to me.  This is installed at a little cabin I have in the woods but I it isn't my home.  My home is almost a hundred miles away.  I hope to be able to see my weather info from my home computer. 

Here is what confuses me.  I am looking for a way to put the information out with the minimum of fuss but it appears I have to find a place to host my information, THEN send that info to Wunderground.  Apparently this involves installing the Cumulus software on my PC at the cabin, install an FTP Client on that same PC, then.... what?  Is there a site I'm supposed to send this information?  Really, am I over-complicating this?  Your comments will be appreciated.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: I'm SO Confused! Getting Weather Info To the Web
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:59:20 AM »
I never tried Cumulus so can't speak for it. I use WUHU software on both my stations and they upload directly to WU, as well as PWS, CWOP, AWEKAS. That's all there is to it. From anywhere in the world, with Internet access, I can see what my stations are doing by going to any of these sites.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:44:12 AM »
you can set cumulus to update to WU (or the others)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
You do not need a host. All you have to do is but the correct account information in this block and it will send data to WU.    You must sign up for a WU account first. and have the station sending data to Cumulus.

Offline Reverie

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.  Will I need to set up an FTP Client to send this info from Cumulus or will the software accomplish this on it's own?  I am not at the cabin right now so I cannot tell you if it worked but will let you know as soon as I get there.  I'm trying to con my wife into letting me buy another 2080 for the house.

Rev

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
You do not need a host you do not need to ftp anything all you have to do is fill out the blocks that I showed you. The program will do everything else automatically.  You are making this way to hard.

All of the hosting info and ftp information on the Cumulus setup page is only used if you are sending data to your own personal web site.  You are a long way from there.

If Cumulus is confusing you I suggest that you try WUHU.    I like it better anyway.

I suggest that you install Team Viewer on the cabin computer and then you can control the weather program remotely.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
Or dump the PC entirely and go with a Meteobridge.   Assuming you have net access other than dial-up.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Reverie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
It is up and working great.  Thank you for the friendly advice and especially for the screen scrape with settings.  It took me about five minutes to set it up and it has worked perfectly since then.  You guys are the best!

Reverie