Author Topic: Pro2 vs Davis 24hr vs R.M. Young 43502  (Read 2602 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Pro2 vs Davis 24hr vs R.M. Young 43502
« on: June 30, 2023, 01:05:58 PM »
I have been comparing the three shields for over a year now using the Davis sensor sht31 in all three. i modified the sensor to fit in the Young and Pro2. The sensor has to be cut down just a little to fit in the sensor tube of the Young and i modified it quite a bit to fit in the Pro2 to keep the air flow as free as possible. All three shield temps were the same at night but with the solar heating taking place during the day and during the summer months the Young temp averaged around .7 degrees higher during the day and the Davis fars ran pretty close to the same compared to the Barani shield. Now the Barani when the wind was calm, which is rare here near the coast, the temp would go up but only to the normally high readings of the other two shields, so just lost its lower reading, so to speak. Now the Barani with just a mile or so of wind speed and the temp started to trend downward and above two mph the Barani was again the winner. Now as to morning temp spike the Barani does have that on a calm summer morning but it only last an hour or so as the sun gets higher in the sky. The highest spike i saw was 1.4 degrees above the other two and with just a little wind there was no spike seen. Having to modify the sensor is a minus but the over all performance of the shield during the daytime heating period caused me to opt to use the Barani in place of both fars shields. So as someone who has used the high dollar Young and the Davis fars i prefer the overall performance of the Barani shield for my main station use.

Offline BoDuke

• Global Moderator
  • Contributor
  • Ambient Weather, Ecowitt, WeeWX, Custom PHP
Re: Pro2 vs Davis 24hr vs R.M. Young 43502
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 04:13:07 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experiences and comparison of those radiation shields.  I like seeing real-world comparisons.

Did you buy direct from Barani or which distributor/reseller did you purchase the MeteoShield Pro?

Perhaps you could edit the subject of your original post to something like below so others might also easily find it if they're searching?
Comparing radiation shields Pro2 vs Davis 24hr vs R.M. Young 43502

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 06:06:17 PM »
I was given mine by Barani to beta test.

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 09:35:50 AM »
Would definitely love to get my hands on a R.M. Young 43502.

I've been comparing the Barani passive and Barani FARS beta model mostly with the Apogee TS-100.

I find it really hard to make sense of the data I get from them. There's no clear discernible pattern. Probably has to do with suboptimal location. Wind direction seems to have an effect on behavior. If only I had an grass air strip available to me. :-)

Is your data publically available somewhere jerryg?
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 08:24:51 PM »
All my comparisons are by eye using two consoles to do the comparing. I really like a passive shield and the only drawback is when the wind is dead calm, not much can be done about that. The Barani shield does real well in low wind conditions better than alot of passive shields. I have a web site you can see what is going on here in our heat wave and severe drought. Site is victoriatexasweather.com   I see the nws is going to the young for their asos stations so i guess the young can be considered the fars shield to have.