Author Topic: New computer  (Read 1066 times)

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
New computer
« on: September 17, 2022, 10:44:24 AM »
Old computer, still working sort of. This is Win10 but was an upgrade from Win7, which was an upgrade from XP. Never touched Vista or 8. A few weeks ago one of Win10 updates really messed with the settings, I was getting a login screen, never had a login and was resetting the clock to US format and Weather Display is UK format. I could change it back, reinstall the ftp settings etc but then if there was another restart the same thing happened. Finally the last update won't allow me to change the time format, although Weather Display is still working, it's not pushing out to the internet.
As the computer is around 14 years old and is very slow it's time to get a new one.
Local tech guys have suggested a mini barebones computer, I don't do laptops. They have come up with a couple of options. An Intel NUC 10 Performance Mini PC with i3 or a MSI Cubi N JSL-001BEU Pentium Silver N60002.
I know nothing about these, although my OH runs a mini PC with Linux Mint without issue. The intel is about 70€ more but will the MSI do the job?
Two harddrives as I back up to a separate drive and anything has to be faster than what I have at the moment.
I am still going for Win10. I don't want to learn a new system just yet, I would rather just to a straight install of WD and get going again. I have full backups.
Current everyday PC is also Win10, but not compatible for Win11. Hopefully worry about that in another couple of years.
Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: New computer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 11:27:54 AM »
Depends on what you want it for

If it's just a weather station a raspberry pi will do fine, either running Linux or windows

Problem with miniPC is of you don't spec correctly at the outset and consider potential upgrade paths you may paint yourself into a corner

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 11:45:42 AM »
It is only required, at the moment, for the Weather Station. Weather Station is Davis Pro 2, software is Weather Display. It also runs one webcam.
No, not a Raspberry Pi.
I also have a Linux Mint machine, used as a media setup, it also runs a Vantage Vue with Weewx.

Offline zmarfak

• Contributor
    • Matar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 11:22:30 AM »
Hi,
I run Weatherlink on a NUC D54250WYKH (2014) 24/7, headless, with Windows 10 Home as OS. The datalogger on the Davis console is a Meteobridge Nano SD, also connected to the internet.

Timelapse videos are created with IPTimelapse during the day, captured from an Axis M1025 netcam.

WeatherLink and IPTimelapse are run as a service with the help of FireDaemon a product of FireDaemon Technologies Limited. When the computer reboots after a Windows update I don't have to worry because those programs start automaticly.

Oh yes I connect to it when needed with RealVNC (it's located in my basement with other stuff (NAS, switch).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 11:25:42 AM by zmarfak »
Patrick
Davis Vantage Pro2 with a Meteobridge NANO SD and WL (6.04) on a Intel NUC 
https://www.matar.be

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 03:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
The Pentium Silver looks to be about the same specs as your intel, which I think is an i5.
I currently have WD set to start up on task scheduler, funnily enough that is still working, but I can't access to see what I put in the settings, but I have run through it on this PC and watched the video of how to do it, so all should be good there.
The MSI looks to have a VGA port so I could save on a monitor for a while as the old one still works, not the best but then I only use it when I need to do any updates. etc.
Unfortunately I don't have internet in my basement to hide all this away. And a concrete house means Wifi can be tricky. Just got an Asus Mesh, plus a couple  of switches and a NAS!

anything