Author Topic: On-Site Lightning Detection  (Read 1146 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
On-Site Lightning Detection
« on: September 03, 2022, 09:49:22 PM »
To install something that would allow me to detect lightning near my particular site, what would be a good sensor to invest in? Most of my friends are using WeatherFlow/Tempest devices.

Since I work for AEM, I’ve tried to get my hands on an ENTLN sensor to host on-site, but we’ve had to prioritize areas of lower sensor density, and my area isn’t one of those at the moment. :-)

I’d still like to have some form of on-site sensor to compare with the major lightning feeds.

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline RIKIAWS

• Amateur Socio-Meteorologist
  • Ive looked at clouds from both sides now JCollins
Re: On-Site Lightning Detection
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 06:41:13 AM »
Nathan,

Can't help you with your question but I wanted to comment on your blog "Weather Together".  Very nicely done, I bookmarked it and will follow the postings!!

Rick.
Go to the following link to learn more about the
 NOAA Weather-Ready Nation website at
 http://www.weather.gov/wrn/

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
Most consumer-grade lightning detectors (including WeatherFlow's) are based on the commodity Franklin AS3935 chip.  It is useless as a scientific instrument for determining accurate strike distances despite what the specs sheet says IMO, but useful for soccer moms to know about incoming storms to pull their kids off the field.  Odds are that whatever you buy will have the same chip and limitations.

If you want to get into one of the ToF lightning networks and can solder and make the antennas, Blitzortung offers lightning sensors in kit form...along with a waiting list of years as well.  Mine was well worth the wait.  Keep in mind that Blitzortung is a private hobbyist network, and non-member or commercial use of their lightning data is prohibited.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for the update. I added myself to the Blitzortung list a while back (although it will likely be a long wait). I’m a HAM Radio Operator now (N5PKR), so I need to learn how to tinker. :-) If I ever get approved for one, I’ll set one up here.

In the meantime, I may just hold off buying/installing anything else until there are extra ENTLN sensors available. Eventually I’ll need to install one to learn how to troubleshoot them (since I’m trying to learn how to troubleshoot more of AEM hardware), so by then, there should be extra ones available I can setup.

Thanks for bookmarking WeatherTogerher! I blog weekly there and may also blog during severe weather. I’ve left all social media completely (found it to be nothing but a time waster). I’m trying to determine how I want to setup severe weather reports for my community in the future. I’ll either post them on my WT blog, or I’ve thought about setting up a Signal or Discord channel I can use for sending out “quick” severe weather reports during the severe weather event, then invite people in the community to access/read them so the people who would benefit most from them can read them. I also plan to get into using HAM radio more for severe weather use.

For general discussions, I’m sticking with forums such as this over major social media. I like the format better. For starters posts are more contextual instead of a bunch of short random posts.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net