Author Topic: Trouble setting up WiFi Logger  (Read 622 times)

Offline dwaldmann

Trouble setting up WiFi Logger
« on: August 27, 2022, 10:09:12 AM »
I've tried multiple times but I always get status of either Idle or Disconnected. I've carefully gone through both the Quick Start as well as the Manual and am quite certain I am following the steps correctly. Here are a couple screenshots of the WiFi settings page.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Trouble setting up WiFi Logger
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 11:33:36 AM »
You need to enter the IP for your WiFiLogger in the settings to replace the 0.0.0.0

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 11:46:14 AM »
While you can reserve an IP address at the router a better practice is to set it up in the WifiLogger. PaulMY is right but missed one setting...change DHCP to StaticIP as shown in my attachment. You can pick any number just so it is not in use. You can use an app on your phone or tablet to get a list of all devices on your wireless or if you know the workings of modems/wireless routers you can go in and select a Device Table or Connected Devices list (name varies between router manufacturers)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:51:13 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 11:51:19 AM »
Curious about your choice of channel 4 for your home wifi.  The usual choice is 1, 6, or 11, as this is the only non-overlapping frequency arrangement for 2.4 GHz in North America.  Using channel 4 means that it will have to deal with interference from *both* channels 1 and 6, and any devices on 1 or 6 will have to deal with interference from your channel 4.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 12:02:34 PM »
While you can reserve an IP address at the router a better practice is to set it up in the WifiLogger. PaulMY is right but missed one setting...change DHCP to StaticIP as shown in my attachment.

I can do that, but the instructions in both Quick Start and Manual said to use DHCP, and it did get an IP assigned:

but I'm fairly comfortable with networks so I will try assigning a static one

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 12:04:48 PM »
Curious about your choice of channel 4 for your home wifi.

I have no idea why... I'm guessing it was the default when I set it up? Netgear Orbi Nest system.

FWIW, the cooktop is not in use/connected to anything, and the Winegard is our RV system which is never in use when it's parked at home, if that makes any difference.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 02:00:17 PM »
Well, using Static IP was successful. Not sure why DHCP didn't work...

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 02:05:57 PM »
I even got Wunderground working again :D

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KVTBELLO6

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 03:13:23 PM »
My two desktops, printer, and the WiFiLogger are set to static. Just an old habit from my networking days at the university. Recently CenturyLink upgraded my modem from the unsupported DSL Zyxel 1100 to the 4000. It looks like a giant air freshener. Right after that my test computer in my back office would no longer receive data via TCP from VVPro running on the weather computer. Also my Raspberry Pis would no longer connect because they could not find a DHCP server. On my tablet occasionally when I opened up Google on FF I would get an Unsafe Site CenturyLink/McAfee warning. Turning off their security temporarily did nothing and their support was clueless. Turns out CenturyLink is locking down their modems. So I shut off the wireless on the modem and installed my trusty DLink multiband wireless router which fixed almost everything. Now if CenturyLink will stay out of it things will be good here. ( Caught them remoting into the DLink several years ago and changing settings).

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 07:29:07 PM »
Okay, this seems weird. I checked the "Real Time Data" via the LAN when I got home today (around 5:00) and it showed data from 3:20. Tried again just now (7:30 local) and got "site can't be reached". But when I go to WU it shows data having been submitted all day.

What could be the cause of this?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 12:12:55 AM »
Occasionally I will see a "site can't be reached" but it usually corrects after a few minutes.

What do you have accessing the WIFI Logger other than it uploading to WU?

With my Logger, the Meteobridge keeps it busy most of the time. So when I go to look at it, it may show data from hours or days ago.....whenever I last checked it. If I wait about a minute, the Meteobridge does its once per minute release and the data refreshes.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 06:52:42 AM »
What do you have accessing the WIFI Logger other than it uploading to WU?

The issue was accessing the device directly from a local browser and typing in its IP address.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »
Yes, that's the issue you are experiencing.

What I am asking is, do you have any other device that is also accessing the Logger, that my prevent your accessing it from browser?

My Meteobridge hogs the Logger except for once about every minute. So sometimes when I look at Real Time Data, it is stagnant from the past. The logger is doing it's thing otherwise, but you cannot see fresh data until it releases for a bit.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 07:24:33 AM »
Oh, I see what you mean. No, there is nothing else accessing it, unless someone hacked it (extremely unlikely). When I first got it going I could just leave the web page open and it would refresh every few seconds and show real time data, so this was unusual.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 07:35:37 AM »
Interestingly enough, just now, I got a page full of indented text when I browsed to the Logger, then nothing. It was still pumping data out to MB.

I clicked the white button and it was back to life in seconds.

I have no idea why it happened. It has happened at least once before.

This is a WFL 2

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 08:50:48 PM »
Keep in mind that this is a VERY low powered, low capability SoC that is not really meant to be an online web server. That it does show the data it is receiving is nice for troubleshooting. Using it as your display is not what the device was designed for IMO.
Works fine in its intended role.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

anything