Author Topic: GOES18 Has Replaced GOES17  (Read 553 times)

Online gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
GOES18 Has Replaced GOES17
« on: August 03, 2022, 08:39:10 AM »
The GOES18 satellite has replaced GOES17 operationally.  This means that any of my scripts that reference GOES17, GIF or HAniS-based loops, are now displaying stale images.

These scripts will have to be revised when I get a chance.  I'll see if I can 'Jerry'-rig Ken True's portion of the HAniS scripts, but he may be needed before these scripts are again functional.

This may take some time...
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Online gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: GOES18 Has Replaced GOES17
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 11:27:21 AM »
The NESDIS GOES18 (West) animation GIF's no longer include a pre-made GIF loop for Lightning or CO2 Longwave Window.  They create their site-visible Loops on the fly by including an image date and time in the script.  The HAniS-based GOES18 animations already produce all of the available image types, so why reinvent the wheel?.  What this means for the future of the remaining pre-made GIF's remains to be seen, although their future may be in doubt.

A new GOES18 GIF Loop script is up on my site's script page.  This supplants the still-partially-functional GOES17 GIF Loop script which is no longer available because of the NESDIS GOES18 GIF animation removals and because it displays GOES18-labeled images under a GOES17 heading.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com