Author Topic: Signatures  (Read 2305 times)

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
Signatures
« on: April 18, 2022, 05:22:59 AM »
Is there any forum policy on signatures ?  I think some are excessive @ over 10 lines (in mobile, landscape) which means half the viewable post area is signature, gets a bit wearing after reading a couple of posts.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: Signatures
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 08:31:30 AM »
I switch off the displaying of all signatures in posts because of them taking up so much real estate on mobile screens.
Mark

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:29:32 AM »
So, from another perspective, this means Twitter, FB, other so-called Social Media type 'moderation' ????
 :shock:   
For example 'criteria', how is your specific signature in any way weather related?  We could use that as a starting point, ...
or we could continue respecting sigs that 'reflect' a bit of each individual's 'personality'...

Regarding "scrolling" ...  some 'mobile oriented' weather website styles... so aptly expressed by these comment examples (of many similar received)
this sight makes me wanna cry.wish (deleted) had this.everything i need on 1 page
and
Thank You!  Lord I deplore scrolling through screen after screen of big numbers and big buttons.

Then again,  the opposite:
"Print is too small on my (deleted), and have to swipe zoom"
mcrossley  [tup] ...tactfully suggested:
Disable signatures if ya don't like em.   
And I don't revisit personal websites if I don't like their presentation on my device(s).   ](*,)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 09:43:56 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 11:44:57 AM »
No, the forum doesn't have specific rules regarding forum signatures -- they just have to abide by the general forum posting rules in the registration agreement.  I, like mcrossley and many others, have turned off display of signatures in my profile (Profile, Look and Layout, check "Don't show users' signatures").  I also check "Don't show users' avatars." which also saves space and lets the page load faster.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
@mcrossley
Cheers, I was aware of that option.

@Cutty Sark Sailor
Thanks for your input, I never mentioned sig content, only length (i.e. number of lines) as I feel that this kind of length on a mobile device
is somewhat inconsiderate to others

@saratogaWX
Cheers, I was aware of both options, I'll just have to hide sigs  :sad:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

anything