Author Topic: Strange topic notification  (Read 2252 times)

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Strange topic notification
« on: April 04, 2022, 07:56:46 AM »
I just had a forum notification but instead of having the correct www.wxforum.net in the link it had an IP address which I did not notice immediately until Firefox gave me a warning message. The topic referred to was valid and showed correctly  when I visited the forum.

Stuart

I just checked again and the IP was correct for the forum and the certificate showed as the correct one for the forum, so unlikely to be a hack but perhaps a glitch as subsequent notifications are fine.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:28:18 AM by broadstairs »
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Strange topic notification
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Stuart.  Would you mind forwarding the message with headers intact to admin at wxforum.net?
Thanks,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »
Sent an email with text file attached containing the full email source of the (now) 2 suspect emails created on behalf of the same user.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 02:19:25 PM »
Thanks, Stuart!  I've received the two messages.  Very strange.. it's almost as if the hostname lookup temporarily returned the IP address instead.  I'll take a look.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 05:28:57 PM »
Ken I had anther notification this evening same user same thread and same IP address instead of URL.

Stuart

anything