Author Topic: Mobile browser view of forum  (Read 3408 times)

Offline plunet

Mobile browser view of forum
« on: March 04, 2021, 03:43:36 PM »
Is there is a mobile browser view you can enable for the forum, or any plans to support this in the future?

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Mobile browser view of forum
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 04:08:31 PM »
Tapatalk plugin is installed.  its a bit flakey from time to time but it works.  just install Tapatalk for iOS or Android.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline plunet

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »
I was hoping whoever runs the forum might be able to confirm if there is an update due any time soon that provides adaptive rendering for mobile devices. Unfortunately I have had poor experiences with Tapatalk and don't really want to inflict that lousy app on my devices.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
I did a bit of looking through the SMF modifications for mobile-responsive themes and was sadly unimpressed.  Tried a few of the 'popular' ones and they looked fairly terrible, and wouldn't play well with our modifications/plugins.  So, sadly, no native mobile-responsive theme will be available here.
Tapatalk is the one to use, although I don't much care for it either.

I find browsing in landscape mode on my phone works best for me.  Normally I use a PC or my iPad, and both work well enough.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »
I use an Android tablet in landscape with Chrome and it works perfectly. I actually can't stand it when I'm on my tablet and some other websites enforce a mobile view instead of the standard desktop view. Yes I know I can sometimes override and request the full desktop version but sometimes it does not work. I find it just terrible that some sites only detect Android and they automatically think it is a phone in portrait mode. Way too limited to have mobile view enforcement.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline plunet

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that mobile browser skins for forums are a bit of binary thing, it seems people either love them or hate them. I have found that recently they have improved a lot, although I don't know the specifics for this forum and it's customisations. If there is a release in the future and a mobile/responsive render is an option that doesn't overcomplicate things then it might be useful to consider it.

anything